News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where to find unique and beautiful fabrics for fun chemises?

Started by gem, July 18, 2011, 07:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

One of my favorite vendors at KCRF is Ophelia's, who always has chemises in the most unusual and beautiful fabrics--embroidered silks, textured rayons, metallic gauze.... they make absolutely gorgeous Fairwear (not H/A). I do own several already but have *serious* Fabric Envy! Where do they find these things? Here's a sampling of what I mean:

This beautiful sanded silk:

This wonderful, frothy textured rayon:

This gold-striped cotton gauze (this is the chemise in my avatar, not that you can see much of it!):

Occasionally you do stumble across something amazing (last year's blackwork linen at JoAnn springs to mind), but I'm wondering where to find things like this more reliably. Anyone have great sources or search terms I'm missing?

Gramercy!

isabelladangelo

ebay, fabric dot com, fabricguru dot com, actually...Joanns has some pretty awesome linens right now and Hobby Lobby also works for other things.  I don't think there is such a thing as reliably because every store will have to change inventory with the season.

Athena

Fabric.com is my go-to for a good selection of yummy fabrics. Even though Hobby Lobby has a small fabric section, I'm impressed with what thy offer.

I *love* Ophelia's! I have a lovely silk chemise from them that I scored on Ebay, and it's held up very well.

Another vendor that has beautiful faire wear is Heart's Delight. Their chemises/dresses are mostly cotton and muslin, and the array of colors they offer is dazzling. They dye their fabrics, though, so it's extremely hard to find those exact colors in stores or online. They're one of those shops that make you feel like a kid in a candy store, wanting one of everything!  ;D

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady Rebecca

Also, if you have a "Fabric-District-style" shop around you (you know, the type where nothing is labeled, all the bolts are stacked on top of each other, and no one who works there speaks English), that would be a good source.

Gwen aka Punstergal

I get that sanded silk type fabric at the upholstery shop... people don't normally think about them, but sometimes they sell WONDERFUL fabrics for costuming. Thinner stuff (intended for curtains, usually) makes great chemises, and the thicker upholstery fabrics (for covering furniture) are exactly what a lot of the best bodices are made of-- plus, due to the nature of the business, they tend to sell discounted chunks when they hit the end of rolls, because there's not enough for a full set of window coverings or a whole set of chairs (etc).
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"