News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Custom Archer Costume - Need Help!

Started by Squire_Kit, February 23, 2010, 11:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squire_Kit

My my, it's been a few days since I've posted. I do believe it's time for an update!

(I warn you now, dear reader, this is going to be a whopper of a post!) Since leather/suede fabrics are hard to find around here - and fetch a pretty penny - we tend to plow through the local Goodwill's to find apparel. We usually find 1-3 things for what we need. It's frustrating, but normal. This time however, we came up with this many things...

Sitting on that bed is roughly $5,000 worth of clothing that we got at various thrift stores for under $100 in TOTAL.

Cowl - No luck on finding a pattern, so we made our own...

The bottom part of the cowl we constructed is a half shirt/bib. The top is a simple yoke as shown here...

The final pattern for the cowl (out of bedsheets, I believe)...

Now the final hood will lay differently as the fabric we're using is much heaver than light sheets. Mrs. Elrod opted to go for a more feminine fit to mark a contrast from the Assassin's Creed hood. Speaking of fabric, we did finally find the fabric we're going to use for the cowl. We had a hard time finding a good material as all the ones that gave a good stretch for the hood itself looked too modern. (Jersey knit, cotton) There didn't seem to be any good knit fabrics for us to work with. So we ended up going with a dark brown poly-suede. It wasn't an ideal fabric, but it looks a bit more rustic than the others. So two yards were chopped off and here it is...

Jerkin - Here's some closet-ups on the jacket we procured on our last Goodwill excursion. It's a heavy little bugger (and way too big for me). But we're going to be cutting all of it up anyways, which should make it significantly lighter. So here it is folks, the $1,500 coat that we're cutting up in the name of costuming...

For the sleeves, we got a half yard of the same poly-suede fabric we bought for the cowl, except in a sage green colour. (I even went outside to test it against the trees by the porch. It matched! Although it's hard to see in the photo below, it has shades of umber and slate grey in it.)

Bracers - Like the cowl we did a custom pattern (cut out of graph paper). Interestingly enough we found out my right arm is a 1/2 inch bigger than my left...these should be finished by next week!

Trousers - In addition to the black suede pants we found last week, we managed to find another, almost identical, pair in dark brown suede. Although I couldn't quite win the argument to cut either pant smaller ("you'll grow into it!" was the cry), I did pull them back a bit for the photo.

Belt - Belts, belts, belts! We've got a few!

The two pictures below are for the main midriff belt. The first is the beautiful two-toned, pre-distressed, red and caramel-striped belt. The second is a dark russet coloured belt with a leather encased buckle.

The rest are extra belts we came across with lots of fringe to use for lacing.

Quiver - I'm currently designing a custom pattern for it. Now was not the time to discover that I can't draw in straight lines...

Hunting Knife, Bow, & Arrows - No progress on this front.

Pouch - Mrs. Elrod found this little gem when she was out shopping...

The beads will be cut off and the strap taken out. Now we're just trying to figure out the best way to put it onto the belt (and whether or not it should have a drawstring or flap for the top closure). We will, most likely, make that decision once we figure out the final configuration of the midriff belt.

Wineskin - Right after I purchased the 1 Liter wineskin bottle from Leather Run, Mrs. Elrod's son found a real wineskin for $1 at a yard sale. Currently we're trying to figure out how to match it to the costume (or how to use the one I bought).

Boots - After having worn these around, the ones featured in the last costume post are definitely the best boots we could have found (though I do wish they were a 7 1/2. They're a half size too small right now. Time to start stuffing some socks!). We're still working to figure out what sort of binding to do to cover up the zipper. Any suggestions?

gypsylakat

I love posts like this, I like seeing how people come up with all the pieces to their garb :)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Pascal

Suggestion on the bow -- it's really hard to find a longbow or a recurve bow in thrift stores, pawn shops, etc.  Everything is compound bow nowadays (with the pulleys and extra cables).

Best bet -- Ebay!  Especially if you don't want a shooting bow, just a looker.  Old bows tend to warp slightly -- not noticeable unless you try to use them.  Once they get this twist, they're pretty useless as a shooting bow, but are great as wall-hangers -- look for these on Ebay and you'll probably find a nice looking wooden bow for $20 or under.

If you're looking for a working bow, there are some decent on-line sources ... but you'll pay a little more (maybe $60 to $80 on the low end).

Just remembered you had mentioned making a short self bow yourself.  This might be your best bet -- making a self bow is pretty easy if you're only interested in appearance, not performance.  The hard part of making a self bow is the tuning so that both ends bend exactly the same amount -- something you don't have to worry about if it only has to look good.

Steev

Very nice stuff.  You're ambitious and I hope everything comes together the way you'd like.  Excellent goodwill finds- I also hit the thrift stores, especially for web belts to use as lacing.

Regarding the boots, shell out at tandy leather or a similar supplier for a leather punch.  Remove the zippers and punch the leather on both sides of the slit to create side-lacing boots per Minnetonka side-lace moccasins.  You may need to sew a tongue in behind the opening depending on how well the gap closes up.

FYI, side lace Minnetonkas are about $70 but modify nicely- remove fringe, punch extra holes for a tighter lacing pattern, oil the hell out of 'em to discolor and weather.
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

DonaCatalina

Wineskin is something you would be better off buying because of the interior bladder required.

Leather belt pouches and ring belts
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Squire_Kit

Gypsylakat - Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Pascal - I'm afraid I may have to end up buying a bow. I really wanted to make my own (and yes, it would be a short bow. A long bow would be a bit cumbersome as well as not being correct for the character). But alas, time is running out and my budget is running thin. I did find this the other day that may serve until I can create my own. What do you think of it? -------->  http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/product_info.php/products_id/3796

Do you know of any semi-easy self bow creation sites? I've been looking at a few, but they're quite time consuming and definitely not on the cheaper end of things.

Steev - Why thank you. Aye, it's true, ambition is my middle name. :) Now from what I've gathered and cut so far for the costume, it's going to look quite a bit different from the illustration in the first post. So I'm going to do a second drawing and post it up here before the costume is finished.

While I can appreciate the idea (and I may use it at a later date), Shannan's costume now has no lacing on it. Everything is strapped down. (Currently we're using D-rings). I want to keep that theme running with the boots, but I'm not sure how to tie that in as well as successfully hide the zipper.

Dona Catalina - Thanks for the suggestions! The wineskin, belt, and leather pouch has already been bought and/or made. But I'll definitely keep those links in mind for future projects. :)

LadyStitch

BTW thanks for the bow info. A bunch of us are secretly plotting a ranger outfit for a friend of ours.  He is nearly to the 200 pound weight loss mark. We are thinking of getting him a nice Long bow, and a complete ranger's outfit as a congrats gift. 

Also I love watching your progress on this.  I can't wait to see the finished product.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Squire_Kit

Lady Stitch - Thanks, I appreciate it. :)

Long bows seem to be the easier of the bows to find. There's also some really great references for ranger costumes. Here were a few that I stumbled across. Best of luck (and congrats to your friend. :))!

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Human/Gondor/Ranger.htm
http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/faramir.html

You can also check out www.cosplay.com and search Lord of the Rings/ranger into their search engine. There's a number of cosplayers who've done a ranger of Ithilien.

Pascal

Quote from: Squire_Kit on March 23, 2010, 10:06:51 AM
Pascal - I'm afraid I may have to end up buying a bow. I really wanted to make my own (and yes, it would be a short bow. A long bow would be a bit cumbersome as well as not being correct for the character). But alas, time is running out and my budget is running thin. I did find this the other day that may serve until I can create my own. What do you think of it? -------->  http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/product_info.php/products_id/3796

Do you know of any semi-easy self bow creation sites? I've been looking at a few, but they're quite time consuming and definitely not on the cheaper end of things.

The Black Bear thing is interesting -- it's a toy bow, but is made of wood and bamboo and it is shortish (40").  Might be a good look -- you can paint the handle part, too.  It looks like the bamboo bow arms are attached to the wooden handle with cord -- you could probably replace this cord with something more exciting (leather? black macrame cord?) if you wanted.  Furthermore, the bow looks a little like a recurve -- which makes it a little exotic.  However, if you've got time and access to a bandsaw or scrollsaw (for the handle), you could probably make this in an hour or so.

There's a nice wooden short longbow (short long?) on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Wood-Recurve-Long-Bow-Stick-Bow-50-1-4-long_W0QQitemZ260570128315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cab309fbb.  Very simple, but cheap and the right size.  You could paint it and decorate it also.

Other interesting looking Ebay's are at http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1920s-era-63-wood-LONG-BOW_W0QQitemZ170461177092QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27b0472504 (would need repainting) and at http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Custom-Archery-Long-Bow-25-35-R-L-w-String_W0QQitemZ380215090445QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588695dd0d.  This last one doesn't look wood -- looks like metal and fiberglass -- but it does have an interesting look to it.

There are low cost Ebay longbows (student models as well -- these will be shorter) all the time, so no need to hurry if you want to consider this as a source.  If you're willing to consider some composite models (fiberglass and wood), then you can find some really neat-looking recurves -- especially low weight (25 pound draw or so) student models.

I have a list of bow making websites somewhere -- I'll dig around and see if I can find it.  You can also google "make long bow"; another great source is in the "Arms and Armor" forum here on Renaissancefestival.com.

Elennare

Another option for a bow would be to check archery stores in your area (if there are any).  Yeah, most of the stuff carried now is compounds and modern recurves, but depending on the store they may have some simple/vintage bows for sale as well.  That's how I got mine.  It was pretty reasonable price-wise, and it's a great bow to shoot as well.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Pascal

Quote from: Squire_Kit on March 23, 2010, 10:06:51 AM

I know I replied already, but just wanted to toss this in.  Making a self-bow is really easy -- tuning a self-bow is what's tough and time-consuming.  However, if you just want a looker, not a shooter, then you don't really have to tune the bow. 

Basically, you'd start with a 5 foot length (or a little less) of 1 by 2 hardwood.  Cut roughly to shape with a Surform file, a coping saw, or a bandsaw.  Sand the edges smooth.  Then, "train" the wood to bend by tieing the ends with a real loose "bowstring" and hanging a weight (like a brick or a knapsack with a book in it) from the middle of the string (support the middle of the bow on something.) 

After half an hour or so, add some more weight.  Repeat half an hour later.  Keep it up until the ends look comfortable when drooping 4 inches or 5 inches.  You're done -- string it up, paint it, wrap some cord around the middle for a handle, decorate it, and you have a decent LOOKING bow.  Don't try to draw it back or shoot it because it hasn't been tuned -- most likely one arm will bend more than the other and not-so-good things can happen.  BUT -- you will have a really inexpensive and decent looking bow.

If you want it to look more authentic, you can glue a shaped bit of linen or cotton fabric to the back of the bow.

Squire_Kit

My word, life has gotten busy! This is partially due to this very costume, but other projects have cropped as well. However, the costume is almost done! I'm in the middle of writing blog posts for each piece of the costume from conception to completion. Once I've got those finished I will be posting those up on my blog (which will hopefully finish being redesigned soon!). But here is where things stand now (complete with teaser photos! ;) I will be doing a professional photoshoot next month so there will be better photos of each completed piece.)...

Cowl - DONE!

Undershirt - DONE!

Jerkin - In progress

It has been cut and fitted, but the final touches are still needing to be put on it (trim, straps, etc.). Rather than lacing it up the middle, we are running D-rings the length of the front of the jerkin with pull-down straps.

The sleeves have been an issue. We may end up going without them. But right now, we're playing with a three-leaf overlay pattern and see how that works.

Bracers - DONE!

Right-hand archery glove still needs to be found. I'm debating on the colour, though I'll probably go with whatever I can find. I'm hoping for either a dark brown or green.

Trousers - In progress

These have been the biggest headache. I vary between a juniors' size 1-3 and unfortunately there just aren't any non-denim or slack pants to be found in those sizes. I think I'm going to have to commission someone to make a custom pair of dark brown woolen hose (ala Aragorn/Legolas in Lord of the Rings). Any suggestions?

Belts - DONE!

Quiver - In progress

We created the quiver from a custom pattern I drew. We're still trying to figure out the tri-strap as wel as some other little sewing details. It's not as reinforced and sturdy as I would like (I'm a little afraid it might rip...), but we can only go with what we can find.

Hunting Knife, Bow, and Arrows - In progress

Er....or rather, not in progress....I'll admit I have not made any headway on these fronts. Pascal, I've got your posts written down so fear not, I have heard you! I've been running around like mad the past few weeks that the accessories of the costume have unfortunately fallen to the wayside.

Wineskin - In progress

The grey part has been dyed brown (with Kiwi shoe polish!  ;D) Everything is done except for how to attach it to the belt so it can taken off. The other issue is, it's from a yard sale so who know's what has been in that thing. Most of the time it will be for decoration only. But in an event like the Tennessee Renaissance Festival, I want to be able to actually drink out of it. Right now it seems a tad unsanitary....any suggestions?

Boots - In progress

Done, except from trying to figure out how to hide that zipper....I think, for right now, I'm just going to leave it.

Wig & makeup - In progress

Unfortunately my hair is neither long enough nor think enough to pass for Shannan's. As described in the book, "her dark brown hair was pulled back in a long thick braid." I'm working on getting a wig made that will match my own hair, but thicken and lengthen it to pull off the hairstyle.

As for the makeup, Shannan is supposed to be tan from living outdoors. I, however, am quite the opposite. (At the moment, the jerkin we're using completely washes me out!) I'm going to use my own foundational makeup, but add bronzer for a sun-kissed look. Here's to hoping it works!

And lastly, everything (minus the belt and pouch) need to be distressed and weather. Things still look a bit too new at the moment.

Genievea Brookstone

Hey Kit, Why not just use a pair of leggings?

Or you can do what my pirate- gone -ranger has done and bought some black heavy cotton fabric, tore apart a really tight pair of jeans, traced them onto the fabric and sewed them up.  They came out better than any pair of pants that I have ever made!  I dont have a pic of them though =/
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Kate XXXXXX

For cleaning out the wineskin, try using the stuff they use to clean and sterilize home brewing equipment or baby feeding bottles.

Elennare

When you say "right-hand" archery glove, are you looking for the one to protect your fingers from the string, or to protect your hand from the fletching as you shoot?  i.e., do you shoot right or left handed?

If your left handed (holding the bow in your right), you probably won't be able to find a glove made for protecting your hand from the fletching.  Best bets would be to find a glove and cut it down, or make your own.

If you need a finger protector glove (right handed), I will be VERY supprised if you can find anything but the modern ones.  They will, most likely, have elastic in them and close with velcro.  I can't recall seeing any that didn't, unless you went with a tab instead of a glove.  Color choices seem to be light or dark brown.  Maybe try Ebay and see if you can find something made for SCA?

Making them yourself isn't too difficult, either.  That's what I did.  I took paper, figuring it's stiffness was probably closer to leather than muslin would be, wraped it around my hand in strips until I had the shape I wanted, taped it all together and then cut it into sections that would lie flat.  Once that's done, add seam allowances, cut out your leather, and sew together.  They'll fit you, and be exactly the style you want.  Also, if you have big enough scraps from making other parts of your costume (and if you're making the finger protector if won't take much), they'll match, and you won't have to buy anything else.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/