News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Staying in character?

Started by dfloyd888, February 19, 2010, 04:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloyd888

This is a similar issue that Finnian has, in this thread:  http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=10763.0

Here are two scenarios which I wonder what is the best way to handle, without breaking character:

1:  Someone calls you by your RL name.  Would the best way to handle this is to just look at them and say "Who might this individual be.  This is definitely not I.", or something along those lines?

2:  Something that causes an absolute loss of concentration, just because it was funny at the time.  For example, encountering someone dressed as a vampire who managed to punch open a can of Dr. Pepper with her fangs and managed to drain such can in record time.  How does one get back on track, and not just lose it in those moments?

uncletimcobleigh

Quote from: dfloyd888 on February 19, 2010, 04:46:40 AM
1:  Someone calls you by your RL name.  Would the best way to handle this is to just look at them and say "Who might this individual be.  This is definitely not I.", or something along those lines?

I used this once:

"I know not this Tim, but others have called me by that name today. He must look just like me, the poor bastard."

stonebiscuit

1) My go-to response: "Ah, madame, this stone biscuit thou speakst of--I did happen upon her earlier this day, and she bade me inform thee that she would seek thee out with news after this day's festivities have completed."

2) React the way your character would. That's funny, yeah? Does your character think it's funny? Giggle, in character, and then get on with what you're doing. There's not a fourth wall; you're supposed to be a real person, and I daresay a real person would find that funny (or, alternately, horrifying. "Zounds! A vampire! what magic allows thee to venture into the sun to visit thy evil upon innocent drinking vessels?! *sign of cross*" etc).

will paisley

Quote from: dfloyd888 on February 19, 2010, 04:46:40 AM
2:  Something that causes an absolute loss of concentration, just because it was funny at the time.  For example, encountering someone dressed as a vampire who managed to punch open a can of Dr. Pepper with her fangs and managed to drain such can in record time.  How does one get back on track, and not just lose it in those moments?

In the event that you *do* "lose it" and crack up, just remember that this is hardly the worst thing that can happen at faire.  My favorite acts at MDRF are at their funniest when they crack up and have to recover.  To me, recovering from a slip-up is the most important skill one can learn as a performer, and the recovery doesn't have to be super slick to be successful.  To reuse my favorite quote from Hilby (which I suspect I'll wear out before too long), "if you can't hide it, paint it red".  Turn the slip-up into its own bit.  If, for example, you exclaim a modern expletive in reaction to the vampire draining the Dr. Pepper can, perhaps follow it up with "I mean 'Fie' ... 'eth'", without any accent.  Nobody really *believes* they're in the 16th century, especially danes wearing jeans, t-shirts and baseball caps.  Turning a slip-up into a joke could be one of the best bits you do all day.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Zardoz

I think garlic and a silver cross is an appropriate response to vampires!

Or maybe a spray can, or better yet, one of those old matal pump style bug sprayers labeled; "Ye Olde Vampyre Repellant"
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

McGuinness

Quote from: stonebiscuit on February 19, 2010, 09:10:42 AM
1) My go-to response: "Ah, madame, this stone biscuit thou speakst of--I did happen upon her earlier this day, and she bade me inform thee that she would seek thee out with news after this day's festivities have completed."

2) React the way your character would. That's funny, yeah? Does your character think it's funny? Giggle, in character, and then get on with what you're doing. There's not a fourth wall; you're supposed to be a real person, and I daresay a real person would find that funny (or, alternately, horrifying. "Zounds! A vampire! what magic allows thee to venture into the sun to visit thy evil upon innocent drinking vessels?! *sign of cross*" etc).

Well spake! I think the easiest way to stay in character is to stay in character. If your character thinks something is funny, LAUGH! For those moments that just break your character down, try having a character phrase or motto or song or something like that that you can use to bring yourself back. At PaRF, we work on having a personal catchphrase that is You In A Nutshell. Last year, I was one of the villians and a mastermind of the evil little plot against the Queen. My phrase was "Behind every great man is a woman making the plans". Short, sweet, and who I was. Songs that you can play in your head that put you in character help, and phrases to put your dialect in your mouth can help get it back (kinda like the old "The beer is in the back of the pickup truck" can help get rid of it).

Whatever works for you! Just remember, we're all human and its live theater, not a movie, so flubs only make things funnier sometimes!