News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sherwood Begins Today!

Started by angusmacinnes, February 27, 2010, 10:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angusmacinnes

So okay this is the first day.  Tell me how it went.  I am trapped in Honolulu and want to know how it all went.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

cyberrennie

Justin

I love the faire and have waited a long time for SWFF, but I would have gladly traded places with you to get you out of your unfortunate situation.

Here is the rundown:  Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic.  You would never have believed this is a first year faire.  The turnout was incredible, the shows were great, and the weather was perfect.  I particularly like how the Robin Hood storyline unfolded throughout the day with multiple performances coming together to tell the story.  This was very well thought out.

There were a few vendors that have not yet finished their structures but I was still amazed by what they have accomplished.  This one is here to stay.  My only regret is that after a number of cancellations by camping partners, I wasn't able to camp.  So someone else will need to chime in on that experience.  Next weekend hopefully... :)

(All joking aside, I heard that there was a tsunami concern.  Was that related to your being trapped?)

BryanPopp

I agree with Justin. A SPECTACULAR opening. They blew away all of my expectations. I cannot wait to get back.

Zardoz

I'll add my agreement to those above. If I had not known I would have not believed this is a first year (first day!) faire.  We all hoped it would turn out good, but I gotta say it exceeded all my expectations.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

angusmacinnes

Great news all.  Yeah the Tsunami had us a bit concerned.  Thankfully it wasnt as bad as it could have been and everything is okay for now.  Enjoy the rest of the weekend I might be able to survive the strain now. LMAO
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Barret

I am in agreement with those that posted before, yesterday was magnificent! With this as a starting point there is no where for Sherwood to go but up and it is already great fun. Already planning my next trip out, I need to catch more of the performances next time, I spent most of my day wandering out and taking the vendors, people, and place.

Gwen aka Punstergal

I took the kiddo and a friend of mine, and we had a magnificent time! Rengypsy (and all his wonderful friends/family/volunteers) did a great job handling some of the little things not everyone thinks about (like the bridges over the worst of the run-off areas- it took TRF *YEARS* to build that bridge into sherwood, lol). There was plenty of shade, and there were some super kid-friendly shows (which gets to be rarer and rarer these days).

Highlights (according to McKayla, whom I'm asking right now:
she "dropped coins in the water to feed the dragon snake" (the make-a-wish wishing well, which was absolutely beautiful, in every way)
she saw a puppet and a BIG BIRD show and silly fairies
and she rode on a big swing really high
and she danced with the fairies with the lemonade in the big circle

So anyway, all thumbs-up from this group :)
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Queen_of_Navarre

We just got home from our wonderful weekend at Sherwood. We weren't planning on going because earlier in the week the weather report in the DFW area said rain an cooler. But Saturday dawned bright so we packed hurriedly and fled southward to find the faire grounds. To say we were shocked at the completed look of the stockage, buildings and stages is an understatement. The woods are magical, the stones hold a certain mystic aura that must be experienced to be believed.  I wish I were closer so I could be a merchant or cast member.
The people we met were content and it showed. How much more can I praise this faire? I know there are still a few issues to work out, but that is nothing that over shadows the experience. Well done!!
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

knarlyknot

I, too, thought it was amazing!!!  Unbelievable for a first year faire, truly magical, felt like I was coming home, hated to leave.

Queen Bonnie

Opening weekend was an incredible, magical experience! I had more fun than I can say! There was not enough time to visit with so many friends or take in all that was going on.The site is beautiful and my weather spell worked perfectly!  Faire time goes by too fast! I am so happy I will be there for 5 more weekends! Huzzah to Sherwood and hugs to all who came out to play and enjoy!
See you again!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

LadyElizabeth

I agree, I already miss the fair and it's only Monday!!!  Me and mine will be back to continue the fun this weekend!!!  Totally unbelievable for a first year faire!  Everyone I saw around the grounds could say nothing but amazing things about this fair.  It was like a new TRF in the Spring because most my fav TRF folks were there and rockin' out the festival!!! 
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Ronald the Bald

Here are my impressions:

The weather was wonderful. Rained on us Friday on our trip to Austin. Rained and was cold Monday driving home. Saturday and Sunday had perfect weather, bright, cool, and sunny. (not so good for photographers.) The grounds looked much more advanced than an opening faire. There was a lot of work put in and it showed. There was very good entertainment. There was good food and enough of it. I really liked the Orge Toes (bacon wrapped in sausage wrapped in more bacon). Spinich pies and strudel were also very good. Didn't get to sample everything, so I'll have to try again next year.

There were lots of trees with good shade. Reminded me of Hawkwood only cooler and not flooded.

Saturday has a very good crowd for opening day. I heard 3000. Sunday wasn't as good. In fact at opening and when we left in the afternoon there were fewer patrons than people working there. Small crowds can be good for patrons. We got an almost private show from Circa Paleo in a nearby booth with good audience participation Sunday morning.

We will try to be back next year.

rengypsy

we had plenty of first day/first weekend hiccups...learning experiences.

my worst was following some formula for toilets per attendees...lol...what a joke.  i guess that ratio was formulated for folk from dune.

we called in more porta cans by 11am for delivery saturday nite.

we had 25 more trash cans built today. another 25 more tomorrow.  hope that will suffice.

we will have tin buckets with sand in them scattered all around for the smokers.

we will have a few more signs up and carvings by week's end.

the pub will have a new stage built for our wonderful troubadours of sherwood

we will dance more.

we will sing more.

we will continue building on this fabulous spirit that is stirring in these woods.

i sent a text to my partner/brother george today and said that the lure of sherwood almost has me in some kind of spell.  when i have to leave, the spirit of the place bids me stay.

i am exhausted, but all i think about is this weekend.

last evening, george and i sat and listened to the bards of sherwood as they played at jerusalem pub...and tears overcame me.

that evening, i stepped into reo's tent where the entertainers and participants gather after the faire...and the feeling and atmosphere was breath-taking.

we are feasting at a grand table these days...and few around and about know what is causing the aura/the glow about our beings.

but we know.  many of us have been on a very long journey in this life...attempting to find sherwood.  and here we are.  it's comfortable.  it's accepting.  it's embracing.  it's magical and spiritual.

i know the buisness is important.  the faire has as one of it's partners an extremely successful buisness person--george--and i am an ok business person.  we will hopefully make the business rewarding for the vendors.  that is a must.

but, rest assured, the two of us, george and i, and the many who stand beside us--not behind us--as directors and managers and volunteers and advisers and friends--are here for what happens at jerusalem or on the stages where art and music and wonderment flourish.  we are about community. we are about the spirit and soul of the human experience.  we are very much about relationships.

we believe in karma, the golden rule, do unto others...

we love this experience because we are in love with life itself.  each of you writes upon our souls.  you are becoming a part of our own evolution.  your dreams and our dreams are intertwined.  we have met at this intersection--this unique and magical crossroads.  and it is here where george and i want to raise our children.  among you.  we want them to learn the crafts you know.  we want them to learn music and dance, drums, the healing influences of herbs, the beauty of art.  we want them to play and learn beside your children.  we want their dreams to one day overshadow our own.

we want to challenge each other to "give peace a chance" amidst a crazy screwed-up world.

we have met here and we should revel in the moment.  we should enjoy the company of each other.  we should cry out of joy and because we have allowed our hearts to be touched by another.

this weekend we walked through clan camps thanking folk. we talked to most of vendors.  we sat in front the stages and watched the talents of our acting company, singers, and performers.  we stood at the front gate at closing and thanked the patrons for entering sherwood.

this is our extended tribe.  our numbers are growing.  and the spirit is becoming felt far outside the confines of our fences.

dreams cannot be confined.

thank you.  thank you.  thank you.

george and i, our team, our families, our children, all thank you and so appreciate the welcome arms you have offered us as we met here at this spot in time.

i think we are meant to meet here.  i think we have more to do...

passionately and profoundly humbled by your presence,

rengypsy
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

LadyShadow

I am glad to hear that the first weekend was great.  I soooooo wish the money fairie would stop by and give me a hand so that I can make it out.  But please continue to share your stories and experiences with those of us who cant make it at this time.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Trillium

It sounds like a wonderful weekend and a successful new faire!!  I'm soooo jealous and sooo saddened that we most likely won't be able to make it out there.  Money and time probably won't allow. (My hubby is doing internship for massage school every weekend.)But there will be next year to look forward to!!
Got faerie dust?