News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to be a faerie?

Started by CultofPersonality, February 27, 2010, 03:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CultofPersonality

This will be my second year working at TRF. Last year, I worked at a bakery and enjoyed it so much...however, a friend and I are considering working as faeries this upcoming season...but we know nothing about the gig. Any help would rock! Some questions I have-when do we apply? What are the job requirements? What is it exactly that you do as a faerie, and how much should we expect to make pay-wise? Thanks!

lys1022

If you want to be a performer at TRF, I would suggest that you post this question on the TRF board and see if any cast members there can help you with info.  Just a thought. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

saphire_glade

Yeah, TRF board would be good for questions like that. If you have questions on how to be a faerie, let us know.
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Tink

Ive played around with being fae, but Ive never actually committed to a character.  How exactly does one go about completely becoming a faery?  Any help/ideas/suggestions with character development would be greatly appreciated!  :)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

dfloyd888

Realistically, choose a character that you don't mind wearing the costume and makeup for for the whole faire run.  Since Sherwood is running in the colder part of the year, I can do my dark elf character, but I'd not even think of it for TRF, due to the heat.  Don't forget that the costume and makeup, you might be wearing literally all day, from cannon to fireworks.

What character makeup do you like doing?  Ear prosthetics?  Think unique and easily applied even when hurrying to make your time on site.

If you do wings, make sure you can don and doff them when you step offsite for a privy break.

Don't forget, you will be "wearing" your character as well.  So, don't do some extremely bouncy walk if it cannot be kept up all day through a weekend.  Being a faerie at a faire means you are running a marathon, so you have to be cautious at keeping energy reserves up... which means eating and drinking often.

As a faerie, what do you want to do?  Do you want to belong to an existing troupe, or be an independent?  Do you want to drop a faerie circle, or participate in dances?  I myself play a dark elf, and try to create amusing scenes for patrons to walk up to.

Don't forget patron interactions.

PM me if you want; I'm not a multi-year vet (yet), but I've learned a couple basic things.  In any case, I'd recommend getting with an actor who has run some faires for some wisdom on making a character you can play and not get burned out with through a long faire run.