News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help Build Gryffinshyre- a sustainable village

Started by Rellspire, March 01, 2010, 08:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rellspire

My friends museum just got approved for voting on Pepsi refresh! Please go to Pepsirefresh.com and vote for Gryffinshyre It is in the $250,000 grant area! She's been working on this for 6 yrs! And I told her I'd post it somewhere and hopefully help her get the funding she needs for it.  If you go the the $250,000 grant area then type in "Gryffinshire" it'll take you straight to it!  Thank you in advance!
~Rellspire

Edit: Here is an easy way to get there http://www.refresheverything.com/gryffinshyre

Don't make me get my whip!

Rellspire

JUst realized I didn't explain what the museum is..... here is the thing that she wrote for it (yes I'm lazy and just copied and posted)

It is my goal to start a renaissance theme living history museum - a working, historically accurate, sustainable village, Gryffinshyre. The artisans will act as interpreters of their work, giving demonstrations, answering questions, and representing the Elizabethan period.  There will be vendors that will sell wares, as well as countless program opportunities: camps, retreats, classes, special events, outreach, lecturers, seminars, consortiums. A portion of the cleared land will be for agricultural usage.  The land will use alternative energy sources to power buildings on the property and offer classes and opportunities to educate about these sources. The Museum's unusual goals make for unusual descriptions of start up cost and post opening expenses and revenues.  The capital from investors will go toward the preparation period. During the post-opening period we will be secure enough to rely on our revenues to stay stable.

Rellspire

My friend is still trying desperately to move up in the ranks please if you can, go in and vote, it would mean a lot to me http://www.refresheverything.com/gryffinshyre  THANK YOU!
~Rellspire

xavierzsada

The original post is below but I wanted to clarify what Gryffinshyre is in hopes that more people will assist- To help build Gryffinshyre (at this point) you don't need to leave your seat and the assistance will take less than 5 minutes. But I want to tell you more about the village.  Gryffinshyre will be a 100+ acre village, tentatively planned for Virginia.  It will be based in sustainable agriculture and alternative energy.  The village/manor will have a 3 field system where corne (grain) is grown, all will be historically accurate. Unlike a typical living history museum we will manual farm land as visitors watch, we will sow, and harvest manually as well.  We will do everything the way that it was done in the 1500s.  On the site will be a water run mill to grind the grain into flour and a bakery where goods are produced (we will sell both products), There will be an orchard, a vineyard, a brewery, a candle shop, a 'woolen mill', and an apothecary.  These will all produce products that can be sold.  In addition to these we will have a limited number of vendors, ones that would have been typical for that area, these may or may not be open during the week, but all would be open during the weekends.  The museum would be open YEAR ROUND.  We would offer programs like a typical museum, and offer a few evening events.  We would also have a replica theatre built.  The main manor would have a mead hall attached for larger gatherings and special events.  The main exhibit area, housed inside the manor would have travelling exhibits from around the world. These exhibits would all be from the 1500s, but instead of focusing on just Western European culture, they would change yearly focusing on all cultures some rarely seen at renaissance festivals: Indonesia, African, Native American, Austrailian, South American, Asian, and Eastern European.  All of the exhibit areas would be interactive (within safety) and all would offer demonstrations of their work on a daily basis.  This way the museum has something different to offer through every season.  Vendors can rotate, if need be so that they can attend other events to make the best living available.  I hope this definition of Gryffinshyre will entice you to vote: http://www.refresheverything.com/gryffinshyre  

Original post:
I am not sure how to do this because I have never been on a forum before so I hope that you will be gentle ;)  I am trying to start a museum in Virginia.  It is a renaissance themed living history museum based in sustainable agriculture and alternative energy.  The ground work is all set and we are looking for funding, BUT one of the few ways to get that is through grants, which are hard to come by.  I recently signed up for the Pepsi Refresh Everything Challenge and we made it into our second month (#97) BUT to get the grant we NEED to come in #1 or #2.  So it was recommended to me to post here; I was told that EVERY Reni in America checks this forum...but this forum is HUGE! So can someone PLEASE help me.  I don't know what to post where to post and how to get this out to everyone.  Rennies are huge at participating in things, so I have no doubt that the circuit can help me get this grant (all it requires is a few clicks of the mouse) but I am having a hard time getting ahold of rennies that are willing to take the time to visit the site.  My website is www.gryffinshyre.com and the voting site is http://www.refresheverything.com/gryffinshyre Can someone help me out and let me know if I am getting this in the correct area and correct site?  I am not even sure if I will get notified at my email address if you comment here...

renfairephotog

If you want to get notified click the notify tab at the top of the thread. You'll get an email when someone posts.  Check your profile under Notifications and Email to see if you have notification enabled.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

xavierzsada

xavierzsada

Thanks!  We are still competing because we were able to get into the top 100 (#97) in March, so I could REALLY use EVERYONE's help in April.  Everyone keeps complaining about not having a renaissance venue available year round...well here is your chance to have one and all you have to do is vote.  They won't EVER contact you and if you can get one new friend each day to vote, we can DEFINITELY win this grant.  there are hundreds of thousands of rennies out there, so it is just a matter of them clicking on the link and signing in...it is easier than signing up for this forum (they don't even confirm the address)  PLEASE HELP!
http://www.refresheverything.com/gryffinshyre
Thanks!!!!!

xavierzsada

I was told if people start talking about this thread that it will get moved to better area, so I would really appreciate it if you are reading this if you will please comment.  Ask me about the project or anything...I am at 140 and we have about 24 days left of voting.  If we could get the 91 people who looked at this link to vote, I can guarantee we would move into the top 100 and QUICKLY. If you all told 1 other person (and they vote) we have a great chance of winning this grant; but I can't do it without your help.  They won't spam you and they don't even confirm your email address.  It is easier to sign up than it was to sign up for this forum.  Thanks in advance!

Dustin

Quote from: xavierzsada on April 06, 2010, 03:19:34 PM
  It is easier to sign up than it was to sign up for this forum.  Thanks in advance!

Especially if you have Facebook already.
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Dustin

For some reason, the link to the voting page in the original post doesn't work. Mayhap this will.

http://www.refresheverything.com/gryffinshyre
If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

Bonny Pearl

i voted!  are you able to vote more than once?  i.e, once a day?
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

xavierzsada

With all seriousness, thank you so much.  I really needed the boost today :)  I am not sure why the link didn't work Dustin , but thank you, I may have lost a few voters because of that, so I really appreciate you letting me know.  Bonnie- you can vote once a day, everyday.  Some people are telling people to use more than one address.  I think that is unethical, so I would rather you try and have one friend (or more) vote, and Please pass the link as much as possible.  I know that the rennies are a strong force, and we can win this far and square!  Thanks again for commenting!

xavierzsada

Dustin- I figured it out there was one too many www's :) I fixed it! Thanks again

Bonny Pearl

not sure if the mods would mind, but perhaps you could cross post this in the threads that have faires close to the proposed location?  local interest is always a good thing too :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

xavierzsada

I would love to do that...should I just open a new thread or should I contact the moderators?  I am not on too many forums, cause they confuse me :)  lots going on.  I am on FB so feel free to add our group- gryffinshyre  Not much going on there now, but once I win the grant then I will have LOTS to post!