News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

lacing bodice/skirts together??

Started by act2redux, March 02, 2010, 02:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

act2redux

I could have SWORN I've seen this thread someplace here already, but can't seem to locate it!!
Any suggestions for building in hidden grommet strips to use to lace bodice to skirts?  I really don't want to spend the day wondering - or worse, fighting to keep my waistbands or other bits from showing or just twisting.  I sure thought I had seen a discussion here last year (when my character was too poor to need to worry about it) about how to build it in, maybe even a word or two about lacing as well.....

anyone know anything about it? ...where a previous thread might have gotten off to??

Cori

I've wondered about this myself as I have the same concerns.  My question is would it be better to lace the two together (so that they could still be worn separately) or is it better to actually sew the two together?

Casche

I'm planning to add large hooks and eyes to the bodice and skirt of my two noble gowns... I'm afraid that a) lacing could come and undone and b) it would be awkward to try to lace it once everything was on... And of course, the skirt fastens in the front and the bodice in the back, so pre-lacing it would just complicate things...  But I've read somewhere about people adding the large hooks to the bodice and eyes to the skirt to keep everything in place. 

I've spent many a faire day fighting to keep my waistbands from show, so I totally understand where you're coming from  :)

If you really want to lace it together, though, I think I remember hearing someone say the put the grommet into the skirt waistband and then had ribbon or some sort of lacing attached to the bodice, maybe?  You would have to make sure the ribbon or whatever was sewn down well, or else I'd think it pull out depending how heavy your skirt is...

As for sewing it... I know several people who do this... I would think it would be a wonderful solution if you have a front laced gown.  However, like I said, my bodices lace in the back, so I, personally, don't.  But it does make the gowns look very nice when you do.  No waistbands showing and the weights of the skirts pull the bodice down (bodices creeping up is incredibly annoying, which is the main reason I'm planning to try the hook and eye solution!)

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion?

Becky10

QuoteI'm planning to add large hooks and eyes to the bodice and skirt of my two noble gowns... I'm afraid that a) lacing could come and undone and b) it would be awkward to try to lace it once everything was on

I had laces and I had the exact same problem. The first lace i used was sleek and therefore slipped undone easily (still cant figure out why i used that!) the other would come undone occasionally but was a hassle when it did. On both mine and my mother's which is a heavier material we have hooks and eyes and they really simplified everything and worked extremely well.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

gypsylakat

What about buttons? Or the type of thing they use for a skirt hike, a little metal d and some ribbon or string?
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

ArielCallista

After trying on my Snow White gown and doing a mini photoshoot I realized that I should probably do something like this to...the waist band kept popping out from under the bodice...which i have a feeling will happen alot since the skirts are a size 12 and the top somewhere between a 6 and 8...small chest, large bum...as for the hook and eyes....what size hook and eyes should be used...also any suggestions as to thread and what not would be great!
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Adriana Rose

Ariel I have made the same gown, I took the heavy duty snaps and put them on the waist band and on the bodice.

Kate XXXXXX

Use about six largish hooks (but not fur or 'corset' hooks!), and hand worked loops to be discrete.  For the loops I tend to use a heavy silk thread.

act2redux

For those of you who have added the hooks n eyes- just at seam lines (obviously- waistband has none...) or did you/do you slap 'em in every couple of inches all around??

lys1022

I'm one of the folks who has the grommet holes for lacing my overskirt to my bodice and I absolutely adore it!  It helps keep my bodice from slipping upwards, which with my pear-like shape is a common problem, and it keeps the weight of the skirts from making my hips ache.

Mine is set up with four sets of two holes each (front right, front left, back right, back left).  I put on the underskirt and overskirt, then slide the bodice on and have my lacer do a VERY loose lacing (just enough to hold it in place, really) and then we run the small laces through the holes and tie them in bows on the outside.  I use a round athletic shoe-lace style, the rough ones not the smooth, so that they don't come untied easily.  You just shorten them to the length you need and put aglets on the ends to keep them from unravelling.  After they are all in and tight, my lacer tightens up my back bodice lacing.

Works like a charm, and makes me a lot more comfortable.  And when I go to get out of things at the end of the day, I can do it myself without help.

Hooks and eyes didn't work for me.  My skirts are just too heavy.

Oh, and the matching grommet holes in the bodice and skirts worked MUCH better than having the ties sewn into the waistband of the skirts.  I had a tie break on me after much use, and couldn't replace it til the next week when they were sewn in.  With the grommets, I just can put a new lacing in if one breaks.

I've meant to post photos before and keep forgetting.  I'll try to take some shots when I get home today and put them up here, showing how it's set up.

Lys
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Lady Isabella

Please post a picture....I don't get it. :(

act2redux

PLEASE !!!  post a picture!  I am thinking that this entire thing would be so much more comfortable if the weight of the beaded forepart hangs from my shoulders and that portions of my pear can't sneak out as well!
~Do these locations always show? (now I'm concerned since our cast has to run with a pretty HA look...pictures or sketches would indeed be a great service!
thanks to you all!

CenturiesSewing

The woman who has the website Extreme Costuming, experimented with lacing her skirts to her pair of bodies and posted about it on her Blog

Photos are about midway down the post.

I think there are also a few paintings depicting it, off the top of my head one is of Italian children showing their doublets pointed to their skirts.

Kate XXXXXX

Thanks for that.  Very useful, especially the tip about putting the bodice lace through the skirt waistband eyelets!  Makes a huge amount of sense when you think about it...

ArielCallista

I don't think the grommet idea would work for what I need...It's much more noble than those pictures and i don't think it would look good having the ties visible on my garb. I still don't understand which hook and eyes everyone is referring to (someone mentioned not using fur or corset ones but which are those?)

Adriana...do you mean the big ones that are like an inch in diameter...about how many did you use and where were they placed?

I'm not sure whether i should do hook and eyes or snaps...hrm...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.