News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

lacing bodice/skirts together??

Started by act2redux, March 02, 2010, 02:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

Kate XXXXXX

Skirt hooks.  Beefy but flat, so nice and discreet.

Sew them on with upholstery thread!

ArielCallista

oh! that kind! Thanks so much! I'm pretty sure I've got some of those floating around already!
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

lys1022

Quote from: ArielCallista on March 09, 2010, 10:22:34 AM
I don't think the grommet idea would work for what I need...It's much more noble than those pictures and i don't think it would look good having the ties visible on my garb. I still don't understand which hook and eyes everyone is referring to (someone mentioned not using fur or corset ones but which are those?)

Adriana...do you mean the big ones that are like an inch in diameter...about how many did you use and where were they placed?

I'm not sure whether i should do hook and eyes or snaps...hrm...

My character is Lady Gertrude Courtenay, Marchioness of Exeter.  In 1533 she is the fifth or sixth highest ranked woman in England.  Ya don't get much more noble than that. *grin*  It looks fine on my clothing.  I'm sorry I didn't get the photos posted.  Life continues to get in the way each time I try to do so.  I will do my best to get something up in the next couple of days.

Lys
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Casche

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on March 10, 2010, 04:56:34 AM
Skirt hooks.  Beefy but flat, so nice and discreet.

Sew them on with upholstery thread!

Haha! Sweet!  My mom bought a ton of those to use ONE on a pair of pants for my sister and gave me the rest.  I don't have to go out and buy hooks and eyes.  Love that!

ArielCallista

See the noble garb I'm wanting this for is my Snow White garb...and technically...Snow White is a princess...lol...But mostly I just don't think I'll like the way it will look with the strings visible...I'm afraid itll take away from all the work I did on it...

Lady Rebecca: I found hook and eyes similar to those...not quite the same...I hope they are as sturdy as they look...I'll prolly be testing them out over spring break...
Pretty. Odd.

arbcoind

I like this idea and want to try it,  but I have to ask...do you sew the hook onto your skirt waistband?  Or does the hook go on your bodice?  Thanks!

Gina

Kate XXXXXX

Sew the hooks to the bodice.  That way the skirt hangs off the hooks and they stay closed.  They are also easier to do up!

Lady Alice of Mecklenburg

I sewed hooks into the inside of bodice which grab the loops sewn into the outside waist band of the skirt - it's a bit tricky to put on but holds all day - no skirt slippage or stepping on hem!    Just make sure you double stitch with heavy thread if you're using heavier fabric on the skirt - and i used a curved upholstry needle...
Just a regular renaissance gal...

arbcoind

Thanks!  Now it makes perfect sense.  Let gravity do it's thing.

Gina

Dayna

One more suggestion.  Carpet Thread!!!  It doesn't break, it doesn't fray, it doesn't slip, it wears like iron!  Sew the hooks to the bodice, sew the flats to the skirt, then just lift up the skirting on the bodice and hook 'em on!  This works regardless of whether your bodice is front or back lacing, 'cause you can just hook the front ones, then do them up as the bodice comes together and they come into line.  No More Muffin Tummy!!
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

ArielCallista

Pretty. Odd.

Kate XXXXXX

Upholstery thread is usually on the thread stand along with the other threads.

flidais

I've never found a way to lace the two together that wasn't a real pain (in my opinion).  But those hooks look like they'd work well.  I usually just sew the two together, or make the skirt waistband really wide so that it stays put better.  I will have to try the hooks though as well, because that does seem the easiest to me.  And anytime you can shift skirt weight to your shoulders instead of your hips, is always a good thing.   ;D