News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Newcomer to faire camping... lessons learned and items to buy

Started by dfloyd888, March 04, 2010, 03:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloyd888

As a newcomer to faire camping, I think I have learned some essentials:

1:  If one has the vehicle space for it, a pavilion style tent is optimal.  This allows one to sleep on a cot and off the ground, as well as providing a good amount of space for stuff.  Regular tents are great for backpacking, but the space that a pavilion tent gives is a lot better for renfaire use.

2:  In the non summer months, pack a LP gas tent heater.  Texas weather goes insane when it isn't summer.  One day it can be below freezing and there is frost on tents.  Next day, it can be 80 degrees.

3:  Push an electrical engineer whom I know that is working on a "hybrid" generator for camping, where in the day the engine can be on (uses an inverter so the engine doesn't have to spin at 3600 RPM all the time), and come night, it uses a set of high density batteries to keep the power going, but producing no noise.

4:  Liquid vitamin B-12 taken under the tongue in the morning makes the difference between feeling like absolute crap, and actually being energetic enough for faire time.

5:  Once I find a job, having a small travel trailer such as a Hi-Lo will make life easier.  Especially in the early part of Texas spring where it can hit freezing with no warning.

6:  I am glad I carry around a $15 cheapie cellphone when at faire.  Not just the fact that if it gets scratched it is no big deal, but the fact that with a phone that only close friends and family know the number to means a lot less distractions.

7:  Keeping a sturdy lock box attached to the vehicle with a very stout combination lock means that only the essential items (faire pass/tickets, cash) need to be on the person.  This means less stuff to worry about dropping out of a pocket.

8:  Clear tubs (picked up two for about $2.75 at CVS) make life a lot easier when loading/unloading for laundry, and running through a checklist to make sure everything is present before leaving.

9:  Having a definite checklist that I run through before leaving helps a lot, and minimizes the chance of forgetting something crucial, such as a pass, critical piece of garb, or a vital accessory like a mug or belt.

10:  If you have a reserved campsite for more than one weekend, having a lockbox or toolchest that can be secured by a chain or cable around a tree makes life easier -- less stuff that has to be taken home and brought back.

Merlin

Shop around... I found a 1969 camper on EBay and restored for little money and made it my little home away from home. Nothing fancy but has A/C and heat... a microwave... surround sound with a 15" flat panel... a refrigerator... I picked up a generator for $150 that runs it all....

Comfortable camping can be affordable. I used to tent camp everywhere but this is SO much better.

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

dfloyd888

The main things I'm looking in a travel trailer are A/C and heat, a water heater, a private bathroom, a shower/tub for hot showers, and hopefully to have all this in a package with a fully loaded (wet) tow weight of under 5000 pounds.  My current vehicle can tow 5000 pounds on its bumper (without needing a hitch), and either truck I'm looking at down the line can also tow this.

However, finding a trailer that is under this 5000 pounds is daunting.  Most travel trailers, even ones considered light tend to go above that, once you factor in fully loaded tanks, and a normal load of stuff in it.

I did learn about generators a bit... if I can, I want to find one that is an inverter generator, as opposed to one that always runs at 3600 RPM.  These tend to be a lot quieter when there isn't much electrical load.

louis14

We got a big assed coleman dome tent that sleeps 6 but there is just two of us. It is obviously comfortable. Easy to put up and if you look for "sales" they can be had for 100 bucks, and you can use for years. I also built a bed frame from plywood that can disassemble for the mini SUV, and then reassembled with a cordless drill/driver. Keeps you off the ground.

We also use a 10 by 10' canopy you can get on sale for 50 bucks sometimes. Throw a mosquito netting over it and then add fabric panels for privacy. This gives you a bit of the pavillion look.

We use pastic tote chests to keep all our garb in. It won't get wet or soggy and they are big enough to keep 4 sets of garb in them.

Still trying to design the perfect privy, so we don't have to go to those "group poop" places that get pretty awful by mid day.

dbaldock

Quote from: Merlin on March 10, 2010, 06:02:11 PM
Shop around... I found a 1969 camper on EBay and restored for little money and made it my little home away from home. Nothing fancy but has A/C and heat... a microwave... surround sound with a 15" flat panel... a refrigerator... I picked up a generator for $150 that runs it all....

Comfortable camping can be affordable. I used to tent camp everywhere but this is SO much better.

Nice trailer you've got there, but do you need to borrow some Maroon paint?  ;D
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

MacKee

Quote from: dfloyd888 on March 10, 2010, 11:31:58 PM
The main things I'm looking in a travel trailer are A/C and heat, a water heater, a private bathroom, a shower/tub for hot showers, and hopefully to have all this in a package with a fully loaded (wet) tow weight of under 5000 pounds.  My current vehicle can tow 5000 pounds on its bumper (without needing a hitch), and either truck I'm looking at down the line can also tow this.

However, finding a trailer that is under this 5000 pounds is daunting.  Most travel trailers, even ones considered light tend to go above that, once you factor in fully loaded tanks, and a normal load of stuff in it.

I did learn about generators a bit... if I can, I want to find one that is an inverter generator, as opposed to one that always runs at 3600 RPM.  These tend to be a lot quieter when there isn't much electrical load.

You'll need to look at trailers with aluminum frames. Our trailer is 33' long with 2 slides and weights 6400 lbs dry. That is 1/2 ton towable  ;D

Inverter (RV) generators are a better choice. They are a little more expensive, but there are ways around the high cost of the Yamaha and Honda models...look at KIPOR  :o
The Order of Culloden Moor

dragongirl

After my first year camping at Pennsic in a tent with the jumping spiders from hell, I bought this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat601643_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat601643&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat601643&id=0063988

My tent is a 10x10x15 sothere is plenty of room for one.  Though I have been eyeing a teardrop trailer as a future purchase as it's small enough to go inside my tent but the evil spiders would have no access and I wouldn't put on shadow puppet shows!   :o
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

KeeperoftheBar

I also have been looking at teardrop trailers for TRF.  They sound about ideal to me.  A tent on wheels with a galley in the back.  I've found a dealer near Conroe that carries the one I want so now it is just setting aside the $.
Anyone with experience with teardrops, please let me know specific pros and cons with them.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

dragongirl

Well as an experienced RV'er I can give you a few.
The Pros:
It's light and can be towed with any vehicle even a motorcycle
you can park it anywhere as it does not require a lot of room
easy to tow even for a novice
unlike a tent it's waterproof
There is alot of options and you are expected to customize it
They are more solid then a pop-up trailer and you do not have to worry about canvas rot

Cons:
You will need an easy-up right next to the camper or be a contortionist as getting dressed inside one is challenging at best
There are no toilet or shower facilities included so you MUST be camping close to water sources
Unless you are a REALLY close family, they do not sleep more than 2 adults so other arrangements must be considered for guests and children.
Your choice of activities are limited during severe weather as the room is limited.
Expect to deal with a lot of knockers, people seem to feel entitled to just knock on the sides of the campers forgetting that people are actually sleeping inside.
If you purchase a vintage teardrop expect to engage in operation rot.  As many of the older models have to be completely gutted and rebuilt from the frame out.

The last point is both a pro and a con.  You can move and adjust placement of your camper by hand, without having to hitch it up to your car.  The Con is so can everyone else and theft among teardrop owners are high.  You can combat that by purchasing teardrop boots.

Hope this helps!!!
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Dinobabe

Quote from: dragongirl on May 17, 2010, 03:48:42 AM
The last point is both a pro and a con.  You can move and adjust placement of your camper by hand, without having to hitch it up to your car.  The Con is so can everyone else and theft among teardrop owners are high.  You can combat that by purchasing teardrop boots.

Or buy this...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326380_200326380

Have two for home and one for work. I love em'!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Aiacha

Quote from: dragongirl on May 16, 2010, 02:38:47 AM
After my first year camping at Pennsic in a tent with the jumping spiders from hell, I bought this: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat601643_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat601643&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat601643&id=0063988

My tent is a 10x10x15 sothere is plenty of room for one.  Though I have been eyeing a teardrop trailer as a future purchase as it's small enough to go inside my tent but the evil spiders would have no access and I wouldn't put on shadow puppet shows!   :o

I do the budget version of this.  I have six 6-gallon-size milk crates on top of which go three 2X4 and then plywood for the base.  I put my queen size mattress on it and done!  I only do this for Pennsic; I don't bother for TRF since it's only a weekend but I do miss it.

April Marie

I found a man on Ebay that was selling the plans on a teardrop trailer that he made.  It looks awesome!  Now I just need to find someone who can build it since I am not handy at all!

http://cgi.ebay.com/TEARDROP-Tear-Drop-RV-Camper-Camp-Trailer-PLANS-1-/180693820655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1230e4ef

KeeperoftheBar

Thank you for your input but I have decided that camping only at TRF, I can not justify the cost of a Teardrop trailer.

So now I am considering a different idea, a tent cot.  Actually a Compact Collapsable Tent Cot.

With luck, I shall have it for opening TRF.  I know it is small and for one person but all I need is a place to sleep where StudMuffin won't kick me.  I'd post a picture but I am not that computer literate.

Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

RenStarr

Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

KeeperoftheBar

Thanks Renstarr,  I have already decided on the model I want.  Now I have to decide between getting it from Gander Mtn or Amazon.
Then I am considering methods to raise it a little higher from the ground (to avoid flood waters and make it easier to stand up from).
I should get it early in August which will leave me a month and a half to 'tweak' it.

I really liked the Little Guy teardrop trailer and even talked with the local dealer, but as I said, using it 2 or 3 weekends a year, I really couldn't justify the cost, not to mention the room it would take up in my garage.  Maybe after I win the lottery I shall change my mind.

Looking forward to seeing you at TRF and hoisting a few with you.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen