News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tall Hat Question

Started by jmkhalfmoon, May 29, 2008, 11:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmkhalfmoon

Does anyone know of a good gentleman's tall hat pattern or a good vendor of such.  I know of the vendor Tall Toad but was wondering if there is anyone else that I may check out before making a final procurement.

Much thanks,
Lady Jayne

silverstah

Personally, I recommend Tall Toad to anyone and everyone who is looking for an off-the-rack Tall Hat.  They do top-notch work, and are well worth the price.

If you're looking to purchase a pattern, I'd highly recommend the patterns by Lynn McMasters.  She has done a great deal of research, and the patterns are easy to follow.  Lots of folks here have used them. :)

http://www.lynnmcmasters.com/patterns.html

Happy haberdashing! :)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

jmkhalfmoon

Great feedback on Tall Toad. I found a nice tall hat last weekend but the merchant took no credit. 

I can sew like mad, but the thought of making anything other than a Tudor flat cap seems daunting to me. 

I love Lynn's work!

silverstah

Lynn's pattern is very easy to follow - if you can sew, you can make that tall hat.  Easy peasy. :)  And that way you can have one to match each outfit! ;)
Catarina Caravello - Mistress of the Bobbins
\"Arrrgh.  Feed Dogs.  Arrrgh.\"  -The Pirate, sewing

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

I second Tall Toad, I have several of their hats and the quality is SUPERIOR. :)
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

mellingera

I guess that means I'll third Tall Toad! I don't have any of their hats, per say but I have a few other headwear items and I love their work. Each day I am at MDRF I stop in just to ogle and try on their wares...

SleepyArcher

I have one from Tall Toad and LOVE IT!!!!
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Master James

Tall Toad hats are VERY nice and I have one and LOVE it.  There are however just a few minor things about those hats I'd like to point out.  1) They are a plaster base so while they look GREAT, they don't breath really well and if they get wet they wilt.  2) What they call a tall hat is actually a Riding Hat for anyone who really cares. 

A true tall hat looks much like a pilgrim hat without the big belt buckle on it.  Both the Riding Hat and Tall Hat are period but they are not the same.  The Riding Hat is shorter than the Tall Hat and has a slanted front.  There are also two basic types of tall hats, one with a flat top and one with a rounded top.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Dayna

Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Abigail Fairbottom

While I looooove my Tall Toad tall hat, and it is beyond beautiful, for me it is strictly a cold weather hat.  It is incredibly hot.  Just another consideration.

gypsylakat

I have a question, what all goes into making a riding hat, what is the general process?
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: unilady on May 30, 2008, 10:57:21 AM
La Paloma  www.lapalomahats.com

I highly recommend La Paloma Hats too!  ;D

I bought two tall hats from Lady Pamela at TRF last year and I love them! They are very well made and beautiful, each one is unique too because she will customize it for you.  The gold one I bought she put black gimp around the brim and a feather pin.  The black one I bought I left plain so that I could change out the decorations to go with different garb.

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: Abigail Fairbottom on May 30, 2008, 01:04:24 PM
While I looooove my Tall Toad tall hat, and it is beyond beautiful, for me it is strictly a cold weather hat.  It is incredibly hot.  Just another consideration.

I agree with Abigail...I bought a pirate/tricorn hat from Tall Toad and will agree that even though it is "beyond beautiful" as Abigail stated, it is also very stiff and *very* heavy.  I love it because it is beautiful, but I hate it because it is so uncomfortable, stiff and heavy.  :(   When I say stiff, I mean completely rigid, hard as a brick!!!

These hats also come with a warning to not leave them in "hot cars".  I'm not sure why because I've never done that, but there must be some reason otherwise they wouldn't put that warning on the hat.  Being here in South Central Texas I need to have something that I can leave in the car if I have too.

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Oh Yea, LaPaloma has nice hats too ! ;D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

dragongirl

Quote from: Lady Ann of Draycott on May 30, 2008, 03:18:50 PM
Quote from: Abigail Fairbottom on May 30, 2008, 01:04:24 PM

I agree with Abigail...I bought a pirate/tricorn hat from Tall Toad and will agree that even though it is "beyond beautiful" as Abigail stated, it is also very stiff and *very* heavy.  I love it because it is beautiful, but I hate it because it is so uncomfortable, stiff and heavy.  :(   When I say stiff, I mean completely rigid, hard as a brick!!!

These hats also come with a warning to not leave them in "hot cars".  I'm not sure why because I've never done that, but there must be some reason otherwise they wouldn't put that warning on the hat.  Being here in South Central Texas I need to have something that I can leave in the car if I have too.

The reason why they do not recomend leaving the hats in a hot car is that the form is completely plastic.  Now I have a Cavalier hat from Tall Toad and just love it, but I thought it would be a bit more flexable so if you wish to dim bulb your hat or push it back order the next size up.  Believe me, you'll need it! 
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood