News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Why Do You Love the Faire?

Started by Norfolk, November 21, 2009, 10:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Professor

Well... part of it is hating. the. 21st. century, with its vulgarity, tawdriness, terrorism, taxation, and tension...

Part of it, as you might guess--maybe the biggest part of it--is the people.  You lot.

A huge part of it is the music, the song, the pageantry, the poetry, and the colors.  I am greedy of sight.  The Faire is a great feast for the senses.

I love the animals, in my own way, and the incredible beauty from the hand of the Greatest Artisan framed by the art and splendor of all who have left a part of themselves up in Larkspur.

The humor is wonderful--and the acts of kindness I've seen performed, and had the chance to take part in...

The Honor.

The look in the children's eyes...

The food!

Nights in the camp with music, mead, and conversation--and afterwards in the comfort of Winston...

Summer.

The thought that I've done a good job, taught children and the young that there are wonderful things NOT behind a glass screen... That whatever the rest of the world is, I've been courteous, innocent, dedicated, and honorable... As have some others, some very fine people.

Memories of those still there, long gone, and watching the next crop maturing into glory and splendor...

Singing.

Best!
"People?  YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THERE'D BE PEOPLE!"

Demetrius

Quote from: Baron on November 21, 2009, 10:17:54 PM
The Baroness and I were talking this morning about how anxious we are for a new festival season to begin, and that led us to a discussion of why we absolutely LOVE being at Faire.  But, before we tell you what we most enjoy, we want to hear from our fellow fanatics.  So:  Why do you LOVE the Faire?

With all due respect, Baron, I, your humble servant, am still waiting to hear you say what you most enjoy...
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Norfolk

Well, Goode Demetrius, what's NOT to love?    :D

But since you asked so nicely, I'll be happy to list a few of the things that the Baroness and I particularly enjoy:

-  Feeling a bit of what the Baroness calls "Christmas stomach" as we get garbed up in the morning.
-  Watching the crowd gather at the front gate and chatting with patrons, playtrons and cast before
    canon.
-  Strolling the site, knowing so many people who accept us as (more or less) "insiders"
-  Getting to know other rennies
-  Having our photos taken over and over.
-  Explaining to patrons that there are no restrooms on the site, but that we'll be happy to direct them
   to the nearest privy.
-  Talking with obviously smitten "newbies", sharing their excitement, and answering their questions
    about the Faire, about our garb, about Tudor history, etc.
-  Shopping for new garb and accessories (M'Lady's favorite!)
-  Knowing the next line in most of the shows
-  The Baroness particularly enjoys explaining that no, she is certainly not the queen, but would be
    happy to teach the young lady how to curtsy when she does encounter Her Royal Majesty
-  Being the Baron and Baroness

Etc, etc, etc.

I would summarize by saying that there is absolutely no reason on earth for anyone to go through those gates except to have a good time, and that attitude permeates the very atmosphere of the place!

Just call me "Your Grace"

Demetrius

Quote from: Baron on February 28, 2010, 07:11:09 PM
Well, Goode Demetrius, what's NOT to love?    :D

I would summarize by saying that there is absolutely no reason on earth for anyone to go through those gates except to have a good time, and that attitude permeates the very atmosphere of the place!

Huzzah! And well said! Your summary says it all.
Should one enter with or without hair- as long as we can pull a fast one on Zoe- I'm happy!
   :)

Zoë

I'll be keeping an eye on you...
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Demetrius

Quote from: Zoë on March 02, 2010, 08:03:43 AM
I'll be keeping an eye on you...

At least you still have two!! (I think I'm the victim here...)

p.s. all of a sudden...  see, this one's gone...

;)

Mischief Snicklebritches

Oh my my my....here comes my two cents :D

Honestly, I agree with the few of you that claimed "what's not to love?" and as I pondered that, only one thing really came to mind.
-The fact that the sole reason the festival exists, is only a part of it all for the EXACT opposite reasons WE are all involved. That is to say, that the festival exists thanks largely to one or perhaps a few people, whom do not seem to take any kind of interest in it as we do. That saddens me greatly. As someone who has, and probably will several more times in my life, worked there for FREE, I cannot wrap my brains around the festival being a cash cow for someone else. But I suppose that is why Im not running the joint. They can have the money as long as it keeps the gates to my sanity open for 8 weeks a year.

Now, on to the things I love---<3

-First and foremost the children;
   -the wonderment I can see in all of their unicorn and dragon painted faces as they clutch their    Italian icees, not daring to blink, lest they miss even a particle of magic
   -When I was a noble, being called a princess, or on the rare occasion, being called Cinderella.
   -As Mischief, watching the emotions play across their faces--"is she a REAL fairy? is she a lady in a costume? can she really fly? is that fairy dust!? omg can I fly too!!!"
    -silently giggling to myself at the end of the day, as I watch some kids literally being dragged kicking and screaming "I DONT WANNA LEAVE!!! I DONT WANNA!!!" out the the parking lot by haggard looking parents....secretly wishing I could throw such a tantrum, blessing them for loudly displaying the emotions my heart feels.
(I could go on and on about the kids, they are neck and neck with my next favorite thing about faire)

Second, all of you;
   -For one reason or another, every one of you has touched my heart in some way. I know its been said, but strangely, I do feel that we are all a rather large, oddly dysfunctional, family......a family full of people that no amount of BS from any of the aforementioned "cash cow beneficiaries" can tear me away from.

Third...the food;
  -There is no other place on Earth that can match the delictable-ness that are spinach and feta croissants from the bakery. That plus an iced chai in the morning is pure bliss in my world.
  - Ive never found a place with better crab cakes, fried pickles and green beans, I crave those ALL year!

And lastly the faire itself;
   - Baron, I too love the "christmas stomach" feeling. That pure sense of giddyness you feel while getting ready for the day
   - The fact that for those 8 weeks ONLY, I am 1. willing 2. ABLE and 3. EXCITED to be awake at 6am to get ready for the day.
   -Knowing I will get to see all of you, and meet the "newbies"
   -Playing dress-up all day, and sometimes being paid to do so.
   -Getting to escape into my own fantasy world, where bills, work, solicitors, bosses, taxes, paychecks, depression, anxiety, and in general REAL life, aren't allowed in.

*le sigh* Now Im all excited......:) Demitri? Are you sitting outside the gates yet? and if so, would you care for some company?

How do I know I haven't missed it?!...what if it WAS the chicken!

holierthanthou

Lady Remi forgot to mention the time she was a peasant.  I LOVED her as a peasant.  She was so into it.  A treasure to watch.  The whole "P" family makes me giggle. I'm glad to see you will be coming back. 

I'm excited.  I think the only reason Demetri isn't complaining about the mess I'm making in the house is due to the fact that it's for a festival outfit. 

Wee!  Festival is almost here!
There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish a small candle.

Blushing

I love faire because I'm always finding more things to love about faire.  =)
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Demetrius

Quote from: Lady Remi on March 12, 2010, 02:52:04 AM

*le sigh* Now Im all excited......:) Demitri? Are you sitting outside the gates yet? and if so, would you care for some company?

Yeah, I'm still outside the front gate, waiting for Zoe to drive by on the way to Arizona so I can hop on and attach myself to the roof of her car.

Absolutely, please come join me!! I posted a thread about us all getting together, but no one showed up.

I'm not sure I believe my sister when she says she's making stuff for faire- all these people making stuff up all the time...

Oh look, a moose!

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: Demetrius on March 12, 2010, 11:38:44 PM

Oh look, a moose![/color]

A moose bit my sister once....

moose bites can be very painful...
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke

Adriana Rose

I had one chase my truck then it started to chew on the side view mirrors.. they arent too bright

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I had one run away from me when I spooked it at about 15 yards. First time I ever saw a moose. I saw my 2nd and 3rd a few hours latter while drive home from where I saw the 1st
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Demetrius

Quote from: Hey- Arent You? on March 14, 2010, 11:24:31 PM
Quote from: Demetrius on March 12, 2010, 11:38:44 PM

Oh look, a moose!

A moose bit my sister once....

moose bites can be very painful...

Are you sure it wasn't a moosephant?

Quote from: Lady de Laney on March 15, 2010, 09:05:41 PM
I had one run away from me when I spooked it at about 15 yards. First time I ever saw a moose.

Wait... you said "moose" What was it that spooked you?

I've been hearing a familiar voice, while waiting outside the front gate- could it be Cap'n Spleen? I thought Francisco might have been with him, but now I am sure he was sans Francisco...