News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Living History

Started by ItsTheBishop, March 08, 2010, 07:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsTheBishop

So, I'm a big giant nerd with a background in historical re-enactment in the Tudor era. I was talking with Leneas Distara the other day about the possibility of doing something next year at BARF. Does anyone know if BARF has done Living History events before or how to get the ball rolling on starting one?

Would anyone be interested in doing some re-enactment for a weekend or two if we could get it approved by Mid America Festivals?

battlemonk

Some advice: Expect to shoulder all expenses of your project, whatever they may be. Expect to be shuffled into the worst possible locale on the site for your desired performance/display, out of the way and easily missed.

However, at Michigan we once had a couple young men outside of our front gate in our "holding area" (a sort of wooded, fenced part of our site that's outside the official gates, but inside the site and treated as another lane entertainment area) doing a living history bit about medieval vikings or some such. They had furs and sinews and a tent, and cooked over a fire. I didn't get to see much of them, but the faire management (to my knowledge) was rather enthusiastic about them.

You could certainly make the offer. The Landesknechts at BARF do a living history bit as it is, but something different from them would likely be welcome.
Yours, etc.,

Captain Saffron/&c.

calien

Im going to try posting this  again since my first  two posts  got eaten up...As a Barf local member an living historian im curious what you had in mind mind before I give you my two cents......So what do you have in mind

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: calien on March 09, 2010, 09:50:31 PM
Im going to try posting this  again since my first  two posts  got eaten up...As a Barf local member an living historian im curious what you had in mind mind before I give you my two cents......So what do you have in mind

Well, I'm not entirely sure yet. There's a lot to do in the era that our faire is set. Living history events either focus on one or two aspects or encompass a broader set of activities. It really depends on what interested parties would be interested in doing.

calien

As  interested  I am about  living history of just about any period im not sure BARF  is the right venue i mean the  "sknechters"   have a excellent encampment and a great program to  boot. The Courts are based on real persons (most of them are at least) and Basicly when you  interact with a person who is playing  Character based  on a historical figure out are getting  what  is called in the reenactment circles as  first per interprataion .......So  once again what did  you  have  in mind? More encampments more historically based Groups with in the cast? a Battle reenactment pike and shot drill????

ItsTheBishop

I was looking more or less at an encampment, I suppose. I'd be interested in doing something with the Scottish court of the time. Usually, at smaller venues like BARF we stick to one or two things: brewing, cooking, feasting, horsemanship, etc. My main experience comes from Kentwell Hall, which is just like a gigantic Tudor reenactor's playground, so I'm not as accustomed to always having to choose one or two aspects.

calien

I know  of Kent Wall I  have a friend that  did  a timeline there years ago  with his ww2 unit.....and i think they  may have done  a sealed knot event there ( or Tudor  for that  matter)
Id love to hear your ideas for  one I'm  always game  to  meet a fellow living historian secondly...
you  just perked  up  My ears  with Talk of a Scots Group.....

Please  do  come and and find me during  the  show I will be there  all  day on Friday (then off to Down town Dunedin for the  start  of  highland games week... i wont be there at  all  on Sat. du to some promotions that  we are doing for the show....And will be there Sunday ....

Collin King
Aka Somerled "Sorelyboy" Mcdonnel  Scottish Court

Madge Estes

Put together a well thought out proposal and then mail it to the office attn: Entertainment Director.
Live so your dreams recognize you.

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: calien on March 18, 2010, 11:25:44 PM

Please  do  come and and find me during  the  show I will be there  all  day on Friday (then off to Down town Dunedin for the  start  of  highland games week... i wont be there at  all  on Sat. du to some promotions that  we are doing for the show....And will be there Sunday ....

Collin King
Aka Somerled "Sorelyboy" Mcdonnel  Scottish Court

Where are you usually found?

groomporter

Quote from: calien on March 11, 2010, 11:00:24 PM
? More encampments more historically based Groups with in the cast? a Battle reenactment pike and shot drill????

We used to do just that at MNRF as a company of Scottish mercenaries and demonstrated the drills with pikes. http://clanntartan.org But Mid America Festivals (or at least the artistic director at that time) wasn't really that interested in the educational aspect of our camp like the craft or cooking demos, so they gradually phased out the space they let us have, and eventually were only interested in us for big, loud stuff like our drills and as color for the parade and honor guard duty type activities.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: groomporter on March 23, 2010, 09:50:51 AM
Quote from: calien on March 11, 2010, 11:00:24 PM
? More encampments more historically based Groups with in the cast? a Battle reenactment pike and shot drill????

We used to do just that at MNRF as a company of Scottish mercenaries and demonstrated the drills with pikes. http://clanntartan.org But Mid America Festivals (or at least the artistic director at that time) wasn't really that interested in the educational aspect of our camp like the craft or cooking demos, so they gradually phased out the space they let us have, and eventually were only interested in us for big, loud stuff like our drills and as color for the parade and honor guard duty type activities.

That's my concern with BARF. Same parent company, same (potential) disinterest. I'd love to do a full encampment complete with cooking, crafts, and drills, but from what I know of Mid America Festivals, it's going to be a hard sell.