News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hey, is that me over there?

Started by Gauwyn of Bracknell, March 11, 2010, 01:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnFayeCutler

Yes and no. I have enough pieces that are OOAK that I know no one will ever have the exact same garb, but close is almost irksome at times. I do have a friend who wears similar colors (and I love her to death!), and thankfully she was kind enough to start throwing other colors in as well. She started adding pink to her blues, and I've started adding purple lol!

Although I know no one will have the same FABULOUS frock coat I have! It came from a theater in London (and a steal for me on ebay. ;D )

Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Nope don't bother me one little bit. OH Maybe that's because I don't have a single thing anyone else has or close to it. But then again I wear nothng but custom made garb. It may cost me a little more money, but in the long run, it's original, it fits me better than anything I can buy off the net, and it will last far longer.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

ladylissame

Yea, Faye, my husband loves the cobalt blue and black, but at least he will never have the same type of garb being male and all...

I have to have all of my bodices custom made because of my back (scoliosis). It's kind of fun to see people at OHRF and KYRF (and soon TXRF) wearing the same style bodice but with different fabrics or trimmed differently.
Recently, one friend bought a bodice from my preferred seamstress in a fabric that I had been eyeing for awhile, I told her and we decided that when I do get it, we will just say that we fought over it and she got the most of it (I am going to have a cropped bodice made of it later on)

robert of armstrong

When I started, the garb that I had was bought from a company that had actual stores up here in Canada, and were based out of Montreal.  The website was done in French, too, so the language and the geographic barriers made the vests and pants I bought fairly unique to the Faires I visited South of our Border.  Now, that company has gone out of business so I can rest assured that those items I will most likely never see on anyone else at Faire.

I like being unique, so when I bought my leather armor, I bought from an armorer in Georgia the I really liked, but had never seen before.  Then that company stopped making armor for public consumption for a while as they were contacted by a couple movie studios to make armor for several movies.  I saw a brest plate similar to mine at a Faire once and immediatly stiffened, but the person wearing it did not have the pauldrons, bracers, legs or spaulders, so I felt better.  It was the closest I can get to relating to my wife's fear that someone at a formal event may be wearing the sasme dress as her.

I used to wear a chain maille hauberk under my armor, but saw that others were as well and had to do something different, so I had the scale maille made, which I hae not seen before and thankfully have not yet seen.  I know that eventually I will, and then I will have to figure out something else to go to.

I guess the shorter answer would be that I fear seeing someone wearing what I am.  When not in the armor, I will bring two sets of garb to the Faire - my first choice, and then a backup should someone be wearing something too close for comfort.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

PollyPoPo

Enjoying Faire, but not really a playtron, I don't dress H/A or anywhere near it.  I wear a simple gown (purchased from a CA vendor and I'm in TX) so I haven't seen any like.   I do make my own headdresses and have been stopped more than once with inquires as to where I purchased them.

We did have an instance with Granddaughter aged 4 at the time.  She wore a ren-style Halloween gown purchased at Wal-Mart.  At TRF early morning we passed another girl, maybe 8 or 9, wearing the same dress.  Those two little girls did the glare, slow head turn, burning  holes in the other person eye contact stare!  Funniest thing I've seen in years.

On a side note (not Faire), when my Son (her Dad) married, it was a casual dress, at the Bride's home wedding, no coordination on colors, etc.  Before the wedding I went upstairs to find the Bride to give her a gift of pearls.  Her mother opened the door with the Bride, her maid(s), etc. behind her.  We looked one another up and down – we were wearing the same dress, me (goddess sized) in turquoise, she (runway model slender) in dusty rose, both purchased at Montgomery Ward.  We had both removed the tacky pinned on ribbon decoration.  The girls were shocked when we started laughing and discussing who got the better deal.  We locked arms and descended the beautiful white staircase to join the other guests who all really thought we had coordinated our outfits. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Kate XXXXXX

Not me, not faire, but another wedding...

My younger sis was getting married one February.  Big Sis scored a bargain in winter wedding finary at a charity shop round the back of Harrods somewhere...  Some poor love had bought her winter wardrobe and then dropped dead, and my sister got the lot for a song, and the cancer charity shop made money!  To the wedding she wore an ankle length sunray pleated black skirt and a large black and white dogtooth checked jacket, both from Jaeger.  In church this lot was hidden by her mink coat.

My cousins wife (whom we had never met until then) slid out of her mock mink coat (just as she caught sight of Big Sis), and Lo!  SHE was in the Top Shop (high street budget chain!) version of the same jacket and a black skirt.

Big Sis turns round to see cousin's wife looking thoroughly chagrined at being completely outclassed as Big Sis sheds the mink to reveal Jaeger!  'Oh!', says Big Sis, an amused glint in her eye, 'Don't we have wonderful taste!'  It was such (evil!) fun to see the jealous cousin's wife have to swallow her green-eyed monster and respond graciously.

That marriage didn't last long...  Little Sis's is still as strong as mine.  But then I made the wedding dress...   ;D

It doesn't worry me if someone wears the same thing I have one.  It doesn't happen often as I tend not to buy many high street clothes, and make a good few of my 'better' things such as posh frocks and coats.

ladylissame

You reminded me of my friends wedding where me and one of the other guests were wearing the same top, sitting at tables right next to each other (200+ people at the wedding). We just laughed about it.

I think the only time I would get upset if someone wore the same thing as me would be if they were intentionally trying to copy me.

Butch

I make my own, and that of my family.  I don't think it would bother me to see someone else dressed like one of us!

I'd love to see another thrum cap.

Dinobabe

I've never even thought about someone dressing like me.  But then, I make all of my own garb! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

LadyStitch

If another man is wearing the same garb as my rogue....the guy better have the cahones to back it up.  ;D

Seriously,  If anyone is wears the same color scheme as my DH he loves to play off them.  We made friends with a perform at Scarby that way.   To be honest outside of one performer I don't think I have ever seen anyone with the same theme as me, and hers was more Elizabethan than pirate wench.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Merlin on March 11, 2010, 03:47:47 PM
Most people wouldn't be caught dead in what I wear.

You are too funny Merlin. I love your style.  :-*
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LordPaulet

With my garb I find it HIGHLY inlikely to find ANYTHING similar.  I have, thus far, never found someone with the same color combinations as I.  SO i have never had this problem...though i would be more than perturbed to find a copy somewhere in this world...

Kate XXXXXX

;D ;D ;D

You are unique: one of your many charms!

Kate

I pride myself on finding as many amazing pieces in pink and putting them together to make one rockin' pink outfit.  I've noticed more and more people wearing pink and, while I've never seen anyone in the same pieces I have, it irritates me when they don't know how to put it together (hot pink + mauve = GROSS) or are wearing some version of lingerie OUTSIDE of their garb.  My friends know to steer me away from these pink disasters and to a looking glass to ogle my own garb that I'm so proud of. :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Lady Renee Buchanan

I just read all the posts and find it interesting that, for the most part, the men don't mind, but the ladies don't like it.

I have never seen anybody wearing the exact same garb as me, just pieces.  I have 3 Pendragon bodices, because they are at Bristol and I love their bodices, and I used to have an Odd Bodkin, so of course, others also had them.  But I wore different skirts, different hats, boots/shoes, so nobody looked like my Bobsey twin, but I do prefer to not look identical to anyone else.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich