News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

School field trips to Renaissance festival questioned

Started by renfairephotog, March 12, 2010, 06:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfairephotog

Remember the field trips are on "school day" which is a special day set aside for education, The students have a Q & A session with the Queen,

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100312/WILLIAMSON01/100312008/School-field-trips-to-Renaissance-festival-questioned

FRANKLIN — Often it seems the Williamson County School Board gives school field trips a cursory look before approving them.

But during their work session Thursday, board members took pause over a few requested excursions, including trips to the Tennessee Renaissance Festival held in Triune.

Board members questioned the educational value of a trip to the fair, some saying it was more of a party than a learning experience.

"It's sketchy if there's any value — maybe for partying," Board member Mark Gregory said.

Teachers from Page Middle and Sunset Middle schools requested the trip for their sixth-grade social studies classes.

Chief Academic Officer David Heath said the district's policy requires two things of field trips: They must meet an objective in the curriculum, and students should be studying that criterion in the classroom.

"We've gone and seen the kitschy things, but they (the students) are asked to look for specific things related to that time period," Board member Janine Moore said.

Board members also asked about the necessity of students attending the Fun Fair at the Ag Expo Center.

Director of Schools Mike Looney said that he would remove the Renaissance fair trips from the list of nearly 70 field trips so that administrators can "dig a little deeper."

Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Amyj

Hmmm...I read this, re-read this, walked away and then came back and read it again.  I think this kinda ticks me off.

If the board is concerned about the "educational value" of the trip, require the teachers to submit the related learning objective prior to the trip.  I've seen both the good and bad of that at the faires I've visited...One media class had specific characters they had to interview with "period" questions....and I've seen teachers dump the kids at the front gate and hide in a pub for the day.  So the VALUE of the trip is in what you make of it.  In Kansas City and St. Louis (as many other areas more than likely), a school trip to the faire for some city students may be the ONLY exposure to faire and the time/people it represents that these children get.  That in itself is an educational value - the exposure to new and different ideas and attitudes.  I myself got to have a discussion on sewing and costuming (not that I'm an expert) with a"tougher than nails" 13 yr old girl at faire once (initiated because she wanted to know where I got my pirate coat.  Thank goodness she ignored the jeers of her "friends" long enough to ask a few questions).  I wonder how many kids discover a passion for a craft at faire???  And isn't that what is needed to keep some of the handcrafts from dying out completely - someone with the passion to continue doing it???  Faire took my cursory knowledge of sewing and gave me a passion for it via the garb I make.
If they are REALLY concerned about the "value" of the trip, then explain trips such as the ones I took as a kid (growing up in the St. Louis area)...the ANNUAL trip to the St. Louis Arch with lunch at the floating McDonalds, the ANNUAL trip to the Zoo, the ANNUAL trip to the Art Museum.  Again, as educational as you make it.  (I'll give 'em the annual Symphony trip...you pretty much can't MISS learning SOMETHING there :) )

Ok, rant over....  :)
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

CapnFayeCutler

I think the School Day trip is amazing! That's how I got started even going to faire was in high school taking this trip! We had a great time learning and were required to write papers on the historical aspect. That was back when they had Henry VIII. I enjoyed it so much I started going every year!

SHAME on Williamson County's school board canceling a potentially wonderful experience for these young ladies and gentlemen.
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

amy

I feel the Director of Schools is appropriately named after seeing his opinion on this topic!

Mixsae

Sounds like they may be trying to appease some parents who may have complained.

renfairephotog

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
The Tennessee Renaissance Festival in Triune offers special "school days" programs that promise to broaden student "awareness of history, architecture, music and sociology of the Renaissance period." But the Williamson County Board of Education recently ruled that the festival did not meet educational objectives and would not be allowed as a field trip.
What is your opinion on field trips? Should they be required to be closely aligned to the curriculum, or should they simply offer enriching experiences?
Send your thoughts to yourvoices@tennessean.com by noon Thursday (March 25) with your name, address and phone number for verification.
Fairy photographer

ArielCallista

Its my opinion that if the sixth graders are un attended and allowed to do whatever they pleased, Faire would not be the best field trip, because it would turn into a play day...but if required to go to some certain shows and if historical accuracy and such was discussed it could be very educational...maybe even do a photo scavenger hunt of accurate/inaccurate things...Good teachers and a good school system can turn faire into a fun and educational field trip. If they don't see that then I don't those schools are trying their hardest to reach these kids
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

ItsTheBishop

Given that most renaissance festivals aren't historically accurate to any great degree, I can understand why trips to faires would be questionable educational excursions.

I don't know about TNRF, but BARF isn't terribly HA. Yes, listening to Willie Bays promote Rocksy Cleen is hillarious, but definitely not HA.

Ren Faires are primarily about entertainment, not historical reenactment.

Lady Nicolette

Well, visiting farms and not having to do the work isn't very accurate of what goes on there normally, either, but there is still enrichment available by so doing.

One could argue that visiting an art gallery, the symphony or a ballet isn't anything other than entertainment either, but we did a fair amount of it when I was in school and definitely profited from it, since we couldn't have afforded to have done so otherwise.

I think that as long as there is discussion before and after about the historical aspects by the classroom and there is some time for the classes for seeing one of the Shakespearean plays that have been added there, seeing the joust, hearing period music and a Q & A's with all, especially with the cast in character and kept to appropriate age levels, there is a lot to be gained.  

There is substantial evidence that children are more likely to soak up knowledge when it's presented in a fun format.  The Faires certainly fit the bill.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

ItsTheBishop

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on March 23, 2010, 09:54:10 AM
Well, visiting farms and not having to do the work isn't very accurate of what goes on there normally, either, but there is still enrichment available by so doing.

One could argue that visiting an art gallery, the symphony or a ballet isn't anything other than entertainment either, but we did a fair amount of it when I was in school and definitely profited from it, since we couldn't have afforded to have done so otherwise.

I think that as long as there is discussion before and after about the historical aspects by the classroom and there is some time for the classes for seeing one of the Shakespearean plays that have been added there, seeing the joust, hearing period music and a Q & A's with all, especially with the cast in character and kept to appropriate age levels, there is a lot to be gained.  

There is substantial evidence that children are more likely to soak up knowledge when it's presented in a fun format.  The Faires certainly fit the bill.

I don't disagree with any of what you've said. It's just a matter of convincing school boards that while the faire is a fun place there's also learning to take place. Many faires have school days where they do more educational programming, as well.

School boards, however, aren't usually composed of educational psychologists (or even trained educators); so, they're easily swayed by hyperbole.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I don't know if Bristol still does it, because our youngest son is 25, but when he was in 6th grade, for one quarter, the students studied the Middle Ages & Renaissance period.  The faire was opened on a Friday, before actual opening, and schools from all over the state came by bus to the faire.  The Galena kids all designed and made their own costumes, as part of their coursework.  Some were elaborate, others looked like the kids made them, but they had a great time.

At Bristol, the cast was there, but only a few booths were open.  It wasn't primarily a "shopping" experience for the kids, but booths like a blacksmith, armor maker, stained glass,etc. were open and the vendors were demonstrating.  The age-appropriate shows were there (no Christophe, of course!), and no food booths were open.  The kids had to bring their own lunches/drinks and sat at the picnic tables to eat.  Before they went, the Galena kids had a worksheet of things they had to do/find out about at faire.  On the bus up, there were discussions of how the time period was different than ours and suggestions for things for the kids to look for.  I went as a chaperone, in garb of course, and had a blast.  The kids absorbed things like sponges, and they all agreed it was a great time. So it can work, if the teachers are willing to design the course work and not just treat it as a field trip.

P.S.  The Galena 12th grade Physics class goes to Great America every year.  They study the principles of physics while riding on the roller coasters.  And not one parent complains!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

Fans and cast dispute school view of Renaissance Festival. See some replies to the school boards decision.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

FRANKLIN — Fair lads and lasses in Williamson County Schools will be allowed to have field trips at the Tennessee Renaissance Festival in May when it opens.

Director of Schools Mike Looney told school board members Monday during a special called meeting that his "curiosity was satisfied" that the middle school field trips would be educational.

"A long story short, I think it's a good trip for our girls and boys," Looney said. During a school board work session earlier this month, board members questioned the educational value of a trip to the festival, some saying the annual event was more of a party than a learning experience. Teachers from Page and Sunset middle schools requested the trip for their sixth-grade social studies classes. The board postponed approving the trip for the students until Looney could speak with teachers about the excursion.
Fairy photographer