News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Decorative Sashes?

Started by BazookaBaby, March 14, 2010, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BazookaBaby

Hello everyone!

Usually I'm more of a lurker so I haven't posted in quite a while, but I have a question and I hope someone more knowledgeable than myself might know the answer to it?

I'm currently in the middle of planning new garb for the opening weekend of GARF, and I almost always pick nobility. I've been surfing around looking for inspiration and a couple weeks ago, I came across several pictures of ladies wearing these decorative sashes draped across their backs. Silly me forgot to save them and now that I'm trying to remember where I saw them, they're not to be found. I've been looking for information on these types of sashes as far as historical meanings are concerned and I can't find anything at all. The closest thing I can find are the fantasy type portraits that were popular in the 1660's and even then there's not really anything I can find on what they're supposed to represent.

My question is does this type of decoration symbolize something in particular. I'd like to make one, but if it's going to be a front to the cast or if it's something that represents royalty or a specific rank, I don't want to accidentally upset anybody.

The closest thing I have as far as examples are these:

Found at www.costumersguide.com

Found at www.robynsroost.com

and here's an example in fur I found:

Belongs to skeggy over at www.flickr.com.

Thank you in advance!

Adriana Rose

I dont know if there is a significance of the sashes but I do know that the lady in the bottom picture has zibillin's on. I have never seen them used as a sash but that looks cool to me.

But I always fall back on the good ol'  if you like it to bugger with the rest

gem

I think I've found some period imagery--there are a few women in the Fete at Bermondsey that appear to have sash-like things as part of their costume...?

Here's a quick snip:

...But you can click on the image in the link, and zoom in for a much better view.

BazookaBaby

Sorry it took me so long to reply! School has temporarily eaten my life.

Thank you for the feedback. I really just didn't want to make a social faux-pas and show up in something that would insult the cast. I think for now I'll just do what I want and if I _do_ step on toes at least I can say it wasn't intentional.

I appreciate it!