News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pregnant at Faire

Started by Leyla, March 16, 2010, 04:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

auntiegiggles

My youngest niece attended faire at 9 days old.  My sister just wrapped her up and carried her in a snuggie type wrap.    here is the pic i tried uploading earlier but didn't make it to my first post.
Everything goes better with giggles

LadyFae

Almost as Auntygiggles said, I attended Fest (MNRF) while pg with 2 of my 3 girls.  DD1 was born 7-20-05, just before Fest.  Anyway...  I was quite comfy being at Fest while pg and in garb.  As you can see from her first pic (I'm in the gold gown) I was pretty far along- DD2 was born Oct 5 and that pic was from the last day of Fest 07!  This past year I made another gown- I'll try to find a pic to post.  It was more Italian Renaissance style- I modeled it off of Radmilla's welcome gown in "Everafter."  I wore that to Twig (OWRF) and to opening weekend of MNRF.  After that it got too hot so I went as a fairy!  DD3 was born 9-24-09 and we went back for closing day when she was just 10 days old.  =D  Oh yeah, and we stay at Fest most of the day- opening cannon till ALMOST close!  Fest and preggers is TOTALLY doable!!!!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

LadyStitch

Quote from: Noble Dreg on March 18, 2010, 04:44:30 PM
Quote from: LadyStitch on March 18, 2010, 02:18:49 PM
...I told her just to put him in a oneie that says "Surrender the boobies"...

*snerk* Hey I want one of those! 

Our kids went at an early age too.  Last year there was a newborn dressed in Fae baby garb, mom could not go two feet without having to stop for a dozen pictures!  I see a lot of babies crashed out in strollers, actually looks like a pretty comfy way to travel.

Funny enough I found the iron on at Joann's of all places for the "Surrender the boobies", Also T-shirt hell has  one that says something about "Forget the Milk, where is the wisky T---".  ;)

I love the "baby cage" strollers/wagons.  Kiddo is in there alseep and can easily be shaded. I've also seen some cute rigs out there. 

Ok it's making me feel  better  for Amy. She is thinking of getting a dragon snugglie for him/her.  Then hang a sign on the stroller that says in Latin "Never wake a sleeping Dragon"   

I'll pass along all the advise you guys have given here to my friends Amy & Kelly.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

LadyFae

Ok, please excuse the drunk look on Giggles (too much wine at the Feast) and my pushed up sleeves and messed up hair and headpiece- we had QUITE the time at Feast of Fantasy!  =D  But anyway, this is the gown I made for Fest in 09 while pg with DD3.  At Twig I had a white chemise underneath and heavy green sleeves instead of the pink but because of the heat I changed the look for MNRF.  This picture was taken opening weekend- Sunday, after Feast.  I'm very pg here!  DD3 was born one month and one day later...
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

LadyFae

Also, Leyla, you will most likely WANT to walk around Fest as much as possible before your due date to "get things moving!"  =D  At any rate, it certainly won't hurt!  =D  Enjoy your pregnancy and CONGRATS!!!!!!
Amanda  =D

LadyFae

After you had your renlet, how soon did you return to faire?  And did you bring your renlet with you?  How did you manage that?
I'm trying to talk my friend Amy into going to TRF this year but her renlet will be 5 months old then, and she isn't sure how that will work out. 
I told her just to put him in a oneie that says "Surrender the boobies"  or her in "Pirate princess in training" and the kiddo should be ready to go, but she wanted me to ask.

Sorry, somehow missed this...  I went back to Fest when my third daughter was 10 days old and just wore her in my Moby (style) wrap.  She is just about 6 months old now and it is still SUPER comfy to wear her like that.  I actually ended up making my own Moby wraps- so easy to do, so your friend can find fabric to coordinate with her garb and should be good to go!  Just find a no shred fabric that has just a little give (not too much) in a color and/or pattern she likes.  It should be about 24" wide so you can cut two or even three wraps out of it.  Cut the fabric lengthwise- you want about 5.5 yards.  That's it.  5.5 yards long and about 24" wide in a nice looking, no shred fabric.  Check out Mobywrap.com for wearing instructions!  =D
Amanda  =D

robert of armstrong

My wife and I visited Sterling when she was 6 months along back in 2008.  She wore an Irish Dress similar to this, but with a bodice which was a little shorter, which sat high and was not confining to her belly:

http://tudorshoppe.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TTS&Product_Code=SS-IRD&Category_Code=WG

But, it was hot, and she was on her feet most of the day, and didn't realize how tired she was getting.  At the end of the, she needed to be helped to the car, and her ankles had swollen into what she called "cankles" where your lower legs are the same girth from calves to your shoes (my wife normally has very nice, shaply legs).  And her back was sore from leaning back towards the end of the day to counteract the weight of her belly.  This lasted for almost three days.

Take lots of breaks and get off your feet, drink lots of water, think about a wheel chair or scotter if they are available.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Adriana Rose

Quote from: ALadyandFae on March 19, 2010, 09:56:50 PM
After you had your renlet, how soon did you return to faire?  And did you bring your renlet with you?  How did you manage that?
I'm trying to talk my friend Amy into going to TRF this year but her renlet will be 5 months old then, and she isn't sure how that will work out. 
I told her just to put him in a oneie that says "Surrender the boobies"  or her in "Pirate princess in training" and the kiddo should be ready to go, but she wanted me to ask.

Sorry, somehow missed this...  I went back to Fest when my third daughter was 10 days old and just wore her in my Moby (style) wrap.  She is just about 6 months old now and it is still SUPER comfy to wear her like that.  I actually ended up making my own Moby wraps- so easy to do, so your friend can find fabric to coordinate with her garb and should be good to go!  Just find a no shred fabric that has just a little give (not too much) in a color and/or pattern she likes.  It should be about 24" wide so you can cut two or even three wraps out of it.  Cut the fabric lengthwise- you want about 5.5 yards.  That's it.  5.5 yards long and about 24" wide in a nice looking, no shred fabric.  Check out Mobywrap.com for wearing instructions!  =D

My little one was 2 weeks old when he went to faire for the first time. He rode in a stroller in just a onsie and a layer of sun screen to bugger with the rules about it i wanted him to be safe, he was born in a summer that was hotter than hades!

You have to be carful with the slings and wraps when you are taking an itty bitty. If its hot they might over heat and then the sweet quite angle you started the day with is madder than hell cuz they are hot.

LadyFae

Quote from: Adriana Rose on March 21, 2010, 05:15:32 PM
Quote from: ALadyandFae on March 19, 2010, 09:56:50 PM

My little one was 2 weeks old when he went to faire for the first time. He rode in a stroller in just a onsie and a layer of sun screen to bugger with the rules about it i wanted him to be safe, he was born in a summer that was hotter than hades!

You have to be carful with the slings and wraps when you are taking an itty bitty. If its hot they might over heat and then the sweet quite angle you started the day with is madder than hell cuz they are hot.

Yeah, we didn't have the overheating issues- it was COLD that last day of Fest last year!  UGH!  Plus, it is really difficult to push the stoller at MNRF, usually.  Maybe a jogging stroller would work well but I've tried two different strollers and they were both REALLY difficult to push.  =P  Though I didn't mind the extra workout!  Well, not too much anyway!  I think that it is more a matter of trial and error.  And be PREPARED for EVERYTHING!  =D
Amanda  =D

LadyStitch

What are some of the good renlet transportation options out there?

I almost think there needs to be "Pregant Rennie Handbook" made somewhere with all the suggestions that everyone has come with.  Sections like
-Garb & Footwear suggetions
-Things you need to take into consideration - (IE hydration, sitting more often
-What to do when Renlet gets here
                  -Transporation
                   -breast feeding

-What things can the men in your life do to help you at faire?
-What kind of character things could you do at faire?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Adriana Rose

We should start a tread and see if it could get stickied somewhere

Trillium

There is a family and children section, I believe.  That would probably be the best place for it.  Some of those things have been covered before.
Got faerie dust?

LadyFae

Found another pic of my preggo gown from last year- this one shows the chemise and the original sleeves.  I like this look better but it was too hot too keep them like this.

and another...

Though you can't really tell that I'm preggers in these...
Amanda  =D

Michu

Thank you for the pictures and to the OP for the question.  My sister and I are planning on going to the MNRF this year dressed up and she and her husband are trying to get pregnant now so she was worried if she would be able to.  (not because she would be so far along but she did not want to be strapped tightly into a bodice).   This should help give her an idea of can be done...

Kiss-me-Kate

Leyla'
Just take it easy this year, it is easy to over do it and not even realize it.  My son was born on September 25th a million years ago.  I swear I have never been so hot in my life as I was that summer.   So if it is really hot and humid out, I would probably not go very long, or at the very least find a nice shady spot and people watch for a while.

And don't be too shy to ask for help.  Let us take care of you and fuss over you.  We will be happy to fetch things for you etc.   

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!