News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Vonlancelot

Started by Nailin, March 21, 2010, 06:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cateyes

I have three of their cloaks and plan on getting more.  They are amazing!

LadyStitch

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on March 24, 2010, 11:39:22 PM
Being a seamstress myself, I would rather pay the price of a car payment for quality in garb that will last for many, many  years. I pay that alone in materials for my garb before I make the first cut. When people ask me how much for something of what I wear that I have designed and made, their jaws drop when I break it down. My garb is going on 7 and 8 years for some. 4 years for my Mary, Queen of Scots gown, which cost over $600 in materials alone! That does not count my Labor time of 156 hours from start to finish!!
Someone once told me you can get things 2 of these 3 ways but never all 3.  Fast, Cheap, Good Quality.   As a seamstress I belive in the Good Quality, not everyone afford some of the things I have made.  If you want the quality of work a top of the line seamstress can provide you will have to pay for it some how. Trust me I would NOT want to pay retail for the garb I make the Pink Pirate. Just his coat is going to push 25-30 hours alone, and over $400 without discounts.
On the other hand I am finishing up a period piece at a local theater where due to a time constrains we had to have the items purchased instead of made.  We got the best quality that we could afford in the time we had.  They still look great but it was a trade off we had to make. The way I see it you can have any set of garb you want it just may take you a while to save up the money for it.  :)

I am hoping I can see some of Lady Kathleen's work at faire this year.  Maybe even compare notes.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Lady Stitch!

I am in the process of cutting out a Pirate Coat and Vest for a new client in Massachusetts out of Black and Maroon Velveteen. The Vest will Black with Maroon and trim, Gold Buttons. The Pirate Coat will be Maroon with Black Velveteen Cuffs, Pocket Flaps, and Collar, trimmed with Gold Gimp, Gold on Black trim in places, Gold Buttons. All fully lined, with functional pockets.  A Pirate Coat unlike any I have done ion teh past.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Renee Buchanan

When I think of all the money I have spent on cheap garb and then either paid to have it reworked, or sold it to friends who go to faire maybe once a year or every 2 years and think it's fine, I'd rather do without something and save up the money until I can get something I really love.

Like what I am doing at Scarby this year at the RenDezvous.  I have saved a little bit every month for the past 2 years and now have enough to buy a Moresca Max bodice, if I find one that I love the fabric and if it fits me well.  Do I have a Starbucks every week?  No.  Do I go out to lunch a few times a week like the gals I work with do?  No.  I chose to save up for garb.

I don't - and would not - ever criticize anybody's garb, or even ask what they paid for it (because it's none of my business), but I have spent more money on garb I wasn't happy with for whatever reason, and should have saved until I could afford what I would be happy with.  I don't think that's being snobby, it's just my choice on what I feel is the best way to spend what money I can for garb.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Ambrosine

I'm gonna try to get us back on topic here...... I'm not here to argue whose garb is better or more expensive. Everyone has made good points and I value everyones opinions but the topic of this thread was VONLANCELOT and Nailin wanted the feed back of those of us who have actually had experiences with his services and garments.

Vonlancelots items are great for those of us that have to adhere to a budget and also great for those of us who like to have multiple items. Being that I try to attend BARF every weekend I do not like showing up in the same garb everyday. I do own other $more expensive$ better quality pieces then his BUT I was able to get a steal on so many of his things from eBay that I have been able to interchange with other pieces. He does offer a wide variety of cloaks, chemise, corsets and jackets. I also, as many of you have witness, run all over the grounds with my toddler to the point of rolling around in the dirt with him and tackling him to the ground, SOOOO spending a lot on something of mine that is going to get so roughed up is not a good option at this time. Maybe later =)
Perhaps his corsets are better suited for the smaller frames as I lack the bosoms that truly need to have that strong boning push my girls up. Theres just not much to push!! I did go with a size 8 since that was what I measured to be with his sizing chart with my corset but I think that my next one will be a size 6. When I cinch it in it actually touches together and I like my laces to be a little more open.

Nailin: I hope you have been able to form a good opinion from those of us who have actually tried to help you weigh the pros and cons of using a mass production line.
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

TheAlchemistsStar

As a jewelry designer and artist myself, I just cannot bring myself to buy from Vonlancelot.  I purchased my first corset from Michelle at Damsel In This Dress in 2008.  I love her work, the fact that she has created incredible custom pieces for me, and the fact that her shipping is super fast.  The person behind Vonlancelot purchased one of Michelle's corsets, took it apart, made a few changes, and then outsourced the construction to Asia. 

I've had others copy my original designs and make the attempt to sell them cheaper.  Ultimately, my work is superior in quality, but price is often a consideration for many people and my work doesn't come very cheap.  I can tell you, though, discovering that your designs and hard work have been ripped off really hits hard.  I just can't support a company that prefers to take the easy way out and copy another person's designs rather than do the work and come up with something original.

For me, I prefer to respect the concept of intellectual property and the handmade movement.  Just my two cents...
VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

bran_gray

I support my vendors at the faires I attend...because without them where would I and these wonderful faires be without them?

eloquentXI

:o

I have friends who know Michelle of DitD and its heartbreaking to see an artisan trying to be very successful, and in the process of doing so, getting her designs copied by another company and outsourced to Asia.

As an artist myself, even as a broke college student who can't afford expensive garb unless I save up for years (like I did with my Ravenswood leather bodice), I have a hard time supporting a company who so obviously ripped of these designs.

I have too many dear friends that struggle to make it as merchants at the festivals, and I want to support them.

If above said things don't matter to you, which no judgement will be made; that is just merely my opinion, then the work of Van Lancelot looks decent, and they have a wide variety of garb options to offer you. Some people adore the garb, some say that the quality isn't where it should be. But...well...quality over quantity, I suppose?
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

gypsylakat

While I feel bad that Michelle at DiTD got copied, I feel that I like Vonlancelot's designs better, Not sure entirely why they just appeal to me visually more. I like that they're above the breast instead of under and more covered and I like the tail and lapel designs better.

While I could try to get something custom made to have a better quality I could also buy this off the rack and have something I'm already happy with and that I can afford. I understand buying quality but I also have a single wage student budget, the $350 item online that I would most likely have to custom order (more $$) that isn't in the colors I like most would mean I'd have to get a second job and take wages that would go to student loans or buying food to buy clothing that I won't wear every day (much as I'd like to) and that is why I will be picking VL over DiTD, maybe when I'm out of school and am a "real grownup" with spending money I will have something custom done with the boning I like and still in the colors and design I prefer, but for right now, that's just where the coins fall, there is a market for high end garb, and there's a market for less costly garb, some can save pennies for garb, and some would like something sooner to wear to faire in between expensive garb.

I'd go for it, I will be after my birthday most likely.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Ambrosine

Ok I would like to say my final words on this subject that keeps being dragged back to the knock off wars, quality vs quantity etc etc..
and point out one thing that has been said over about VL about everyone who has actually tried a garment from him. NO ONE has mentioned poor quality work is being done by him. YES he is in the mass production market BUT his quality is still very nice. in fact the ONLY negative point said by even myself has been an issue with boning being plastic. Which after questioning artisans even at festival who DO charge over $300 for just a corset sometimes even they use plastic boning.
Enough said by me, I'm done and not going to take part in this little tyrant started about knock offs which will continue to always be apart of the garment industry as it has for many many years!
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

Trillium

Holy Cow, people!  I leave you alone for 24 hours and things start blowing up....  OK, I'll admit I'm a little cranky. 

Let's keep on topic, please, and leave the accusations out.
Got faerie dust?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

From what  I have seen of the Von Lancelot line, it looks well made.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rani Zemirah

I wore my mid-weight satin lined moleskin cloak today in misting rain, 30mph winds and 45-48 degree temperatures, and I was fine.  I received compliments from those dressed in mundanes as well as playtrons, and even a couple of vendors commented on it, all positive.  I don't know anything about the other garb pieces, but a cloak is a cloak, and it's basically the quality that differentiates them.  I'm very happy with mine...  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Christina de Pond

i don't know i can't ever win one of his auctions i've tried for 8-12 cloaks in the past few months and nada i'm still without a cloak
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

squiregaby

there's a method to winning his auctions.  You actually have to be there when the auction is ending and outbid the top bidder at the last second.  Posting the max you're willing to spend at the very begining works too.  Auctions that end in the early morning hours or the afternoon hours are the easiest ones to win.
Squire Gaby
Squire to the Knights of the most Noble Cause