News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

SIIITTAAARR!!!

Started by sitarserpent, March 22, 2010, 03:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sitarserpent

Okay, so I actually do play sitar, and I just decided to start a thread on it. Whatever. It is the COOLEST INSTRUMENT EVER!
Some things you should know:
1. Electric Sitar= NOT really a sitar. An "electric sitar" is actually an "electric guitar designed to mimic the sound of a sitar". Is an electric guitar that sounds like a cello an electric cello? Is an electric guitar that sounds like a dying cat an electric dying cat? No! Now that we've got that settled...
2. The lower layer of strings isn't actually played. It's for ringing in sympathy only.
3. Yes, you can move the frets.
4. Have to mention him here somewhere... Nikhil Banerjee is the GREATEST SITAR PLAYER EVER!
        Now that I've given you that heavily biased little briefing... Please post your comments. Really. I want to hear!
~

amy

I personally have grown to love Sitar music over the time that my daughter has been enjoying middle eastern dance.    Do you perform anywhere?   Are there any faires that have performers you enjoy?

Sitara

At first I thought you were calling me  ;)

I do enjoy sitar music though I do not play.  I am not musically inclined, I can dance to a beat but cannot seem to keep one myself.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

sitarserpent

OK, 1. Sitara= awesome name, 2. While I don't currently perform, although I hope to eventually, the area where I live is somewhat of a hub for Indian culture and my teacher is also employed playing at several locales, 3. While there  are a lot of great performers, I have yet to encounter a sitar player at a faire 
~

Sitara

There is one at MNRF, I don't recall his name though.  He plays in the after hours pub sometimes too.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Blue66669

One of my very good friends is a sitar player at faire. His band is currently at AZRF, and they are also at TRF, Scarby, and sometimes MIRF. Here's Mark rockin it on the sitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzcFHa8IFsY&feature=related
Blaidd Drwg

sitarserpent

~

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Check out youtube for Wine and Alchemy playing "Kasmir" - (I do believe his Sitar is mic'd)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

sitarserpent

most definitely. there is no way to play that loud without a mic (not that I haven't tried!)
~

Merlin the Elder

I love the sound of sitar... I'm a old fan of George Harrison who liked to play (he wasn't a master at it, but his work was enjoyable). I've seen Harrison, and both Ravi Shankar and one of his daughters, Anoushka, in [separate] concerts (she's pretty good, but she's not as good as her dad!). It's so easy to get lost in the magic of the music.

I saw Wine and Alchemy at Scarby last week and was impressed with the group. Very talented young people. I'd recommend checking them out!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Poldugarian Warrior

I love all stringed instruments, and sitar is one of the most unique sounding and culturally diverse instruments. I mean any time I hear it I don't know about others, but it takes me to a different place. And I'm not talking just the middle east, but all sorts of imaginary places. As Merlin the Elder mentioned Wine and Alchemy is awesome I bought their CDs, they are one of the best Arabic, Indian, Gypsy(Roma-Greek-Eastern European) music groups out there.  See them evry year here at MiRF.I have a few others not handy right now, but if interested in the titles of those cds I will list.

duffy

Man is he good. Check the video for the misirlou. Awesome.

Poldugarian Warrior

He used to play with the lady that plays violin for circa paleo now, they're duo was called E-Muzeki, very cool middle eastern music and only from 2 people. Sometimes a flute player or a drummer would stop by since they were primarily street performers, but man could they play. And they still are good at what they do albeit in different groups now.