News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Women's Tartan Etiquette?

Started by Rosamundi, March 22, 2010, 03:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

My take (having gone with my kilted lord to both Fair and Highland Games): I would try to be more respectful at a Highland Games--which exists in part as a celebration of Scottish heritage and culture--than you need to be at Fair (which, you have to admit, exists in part as a celebration of "come as you are or wish you were" culture). The people at the Highland Games are understandably very proud of their clans and heritage, and they've put a lot more energy and research into learning about it than I have.  I am not Scottish by blood, and I am not interested in spending the money for an arisaidh of either of Milord's (quite rare) clan tartans, so I did as Dinobabe suggested and chose a non-tartan plaid.

For Fair, however, I think you really can (and should be able to) wear whatever you like. I *personally* wouldn't wear another clan's tartan--but to be honest, the expense of 4+ yards of wool tartan is a major factor in that decision.

Zardoz

There are actually a lot of "guidelines" on this stuff, even down to how to tie the sash etc..most of them, like most 'clan tartans' are Victorian inventions. Overall , compared to guys, there are very few conventions about modern ladies Highland wear. Basically, if a woman does not have a family tartan connection of her own through any of her ancesters, she could wear one that applies to her husband, if married out of clan.

Here's a link to a pretty concise site on this stuff;
 http://www.clangregor.org/history-tartan-women.html

or

http://albanach.org/sash.htm

As has been said, there are plently of 'universal' tartans to pick from, district, national, US state, and military regimental tartans. The 'regimental' tartans all started as someone's family tartan, so wearing one at a US  Highland games is more likely to get you questioned about if you are a Campbell or Mackenzie etc, than about military service. There are plenty of privately owned tartans like the Balmoral, who's sales are restricted. Basically you won't be able to buy a restricted tartan, so don't worry about it.
You could also show your affinity for the culture by sporting a nice tartan or wool tam, maybe with a generic badge.

I want to interject one thought here, Although the 'dress code' at Highland games differs alot around the country, I think honestly that faire garb is out of place at most of them. Games are not a place for 'costumes', other than those from Scots culture, a Jacobite Highlander is OK,  Renfaire Braveheart is not so much. There are always negative comments about it on the kilt wearing and and games forums that I'm on. At most Highland games around here in Texas, it's always hot, so the standard wear for guys is kilt and Short sleeve polo shirt or even t-shirt, and T-shirt, sash, and shorts or short tartan skirt for women. My wife gave up the sash as too hot, and just sports a clan t-shirt at the Houston games.  But there are some big games where you see folks in jacket and tie, long skirts for women etc.

I'd take a look at the website for the games in question, and get a handle on how folks dress there.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Mairghread

My husband is a bagpiper, and in choosing his kilt for piping competitions, he was told by his piping instructor to wear whatever tartan he wanted, since he is not in a pipe band and since its nearly impossible to find an affordable kilt in his own clan tartan, he picked out one he liked the colors/pattern and went with that.  I think it depends on the highland festival, the ones near me, in the DC area, are pretty much anything goes in the way of tartans, as long as you are not there representing a clan.  You see people in everything from full Victorian style highland dress, to tweeds, to ren faire/gypsy garb and no one cares except for the holier than thou people who are the same type as those who snark at non-historical faire garb.  Highland festivals/games are for fun and to keep alive Scottish arts and sports, so snarking at people who want to wear tartan is not a good way to keep those things alive.  Plenty of people participate who have no Scottish heritage, but they love the culture anyway.

You might get asked what tartan you are wearing, and if you are part of the clan, but usually it is because someone likes the look and/or wants to know what clan you are in or get you to join a clan society.  If they choose to be unpleasant or rude, just walk away.  Tartans, except for those trademarked, do not really "belong" to anyone, and people who say that you shouldn't wear one pattern simply because you are not related to a particular family are not doing Scottish games/arts/culture a favor.  That kind of attitude just drives people away from being interested in the history and culture, which would die off without their interest.

Rosamundi

Thank you so much for all the terrific links and commentary.

I take to heart the sensible and diplomatic suggestion that a Highland Games dress code might not be quite as free-n-breezy as a Renaissance Festival. I will check the organizers' suggestions about whether costuming is appropriate in the first place. Respectful = good.

The phrase "universal" tartan is also much-appreciated. It sounds so much nicer than my initial mumble of "generic." :-)
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Imestra

Rosamundi, et.al;
It is my great fortune to work with an outside sales rep deeply involved with the Stone Mountain Highland Games in Georgia, which has been held yearly for um, oh well - for so long they consider themselves the grandaddy of ren-faires period. (down, folks - not my words)  He told me the ladies wear the sash over the right shoulder, with or without rosette, unless of nobility.  The noble ladies distinguish themselves by wearing the sash over the left shoulder.  Outside this, there are no rules to speak of.
When I asked if the choice of tartan would draw disdain, ever, he said no.  Mind you, the games are held by Scottish Clan orginizations, there are clan meetings and events exclusive to certain clans or clan hierarchy and everything. Of course he did mention the limited availability of some tartans that others have posted about already but I will never forget the year he told me that if it were not for the rennies that come in garb and the "gate" fees they pay it would be difficult to afford holding the games year after year. 
Oh! and Jim has credentials!  Theirs is (one of?) the Scottish Org. used as consultants to the producers of Braveheart.  No foolin, he has a picture of the time Mel Gibson met the clansmen for coctails!
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars