News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wooden swords and shields

Started by Ambrosine, March 27, 2010, 10:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambrosine

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a quality wooden shield maker?
I purchases a Hollow Earth sword for my toddler last year and he has loved it so much I really want to get him a good shield to match. If any one is familar with Hollow Earth they actually make high quality wooden swords for practice fighting and are meant to actually be used not just played with by children. Being as my son is very rough with his sword and it is used year round I want a shield of the same quality that could take the blow of his current sword. Basicaly I do not want a pine shield like most that are sold at the festivals that will shatter and splinter when used.The wood of his sword is hickory I believe. Any suggestions? Or would anyone like to attempt making one? I want to find one by May 2nd as it is his 3rd birthday. And of course as a true rennie it is a full out Pirate party!
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

M'Lady,

I can tell you the wooden shields sold at GARF for the children are quiet sturdy. My princess has two of them, and shows then no slack in our day to day  sessions of "Hacking & slashing". I did have to make some modiciation to the inside of the shield, with better straps and forearm padding, but this can be done in less than 10 minutes.

One of them has held up better than my "heater" with metal rim reinforcement, purchased from Museum Replicas.

In the end, it's your call.

Ambrosine

Would you happen to know who the vendor is? We only have one place selling them at BARF this year and they are the pine. Hollow Earth did not return this year and in any case do not make shields. I'm very hesitant to buy from the vendor at BARF just because the quality does not seem to be there, I was afraid of my son breaking the swords when he was just picking them up to test out, not to also  mention that when he struck the ground with it the vendor actually made the comment to me "break it you buy it" as he witnessed my wee one playing with it. He strikes his sword currently against trees, walls, staffs, actual swords or sheathed swords and not a nick has been made. I may have spent a pretty penny on it but its going to last him so much longer.
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger