News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

I know there are vintage style fabric stores out there.  Try also looking for "rockabily" fabric.  Don't laugh that is a style that is designed around that time period.  I think it is just a matter of searching online fabric stores. They are out there  :-\
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Athena

Quote from: Lady L on June 13, 2008, 01:52:28 AM
Quote from: Athena on June 12, 2008, 08:19:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can find vintage fabrics or fabrics with vintage prints? I'm interested in making clothing in 1930s and 40s styles and I'm not getting that feel from the inventory at the fabric stores I usually frequent.

I have seen many of those prints at quilting stores. Try www.equilter.com
They have cotton prints.
Or were you thinking of a different type of vintage fabric?

Thanks Lady L, I never would have considered a quilting site. They have batik, which I've been searching for! Yay!

A friend sent me a link to this neat site: http://www.reprodepot.com/ They've got cool reproduction vintage prints.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady L

I LOVE batik! I never know what to make with it though, so I end up not cutting into it. Hancock's of Paducah had a lot of batiks  too.
www.hancocks-paducah.com
Not to be confused with the other Hancocks Fabric...they are related though. www.hancockfabrics.com
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

willin

Quote from: Athena on June 12, 2008, 08:19:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can find vintage fabrics or fabrics with vintage prints? I'm interested in making clothing in 1930s and 40s styles and I'm not getting that feel from the inventory at the fabric stores I usually frequent.

worth a look. . .

www.rickrack.com/3001.html

www.revivalfabrics.com/detail.aspx?ID=458

www.bluevelvetvintage.com/Vintage-Textiles-p-1-c-16.html

www.bluevelvetvintage.com/1940s-BARKCLOTH-FABRIC-FLOWERS-SWAGS-p-348.html

GOT FEET ?

Pascal

Quote from: Lady L on June 13, 2008, 01:52:28 AM
I have seen many of those prints at quilting stores. Try www.equilter.com
They have cotton prints.

Big recommendation for eQuilter -- they have a great selection and really good quality.  I've bought RockaBilly type fabric from them before -- I normally use them for wierd strange interesting prints for Hawaiian type shirts.  Be sure and check out their Clearance section as well.

I was in Boulder a year or so back and decided to go by their address to check out their store.  Alas, they're a mail-order only outfit -- the "store" is just a warehouse/shipping arrangement.

Athena

Willin, thank you! Authentic vintage prints! SQUEE! I think my fabric stash is about to expand!  8)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Elennare

I have a question for all of the sewing people.

I am getting married in October.  I have not been able to find a suitable undergarment that actually fits me and is comfortable, so I have decided to give up on trying to buy one and just make a corset. 
Now, here is my question:  can anyone recommend a good pattern for making one?  Here is a link to a dress that is similar to mine: http://www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=318&prodgroup=10  For some reason, they don't have my dress on their website, but this one has the same silhouette.

Thanks for the help!  :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Trillium

I've seen undergarment patterns for victorian and civil war costumes from McCalls and Butterick, I believe.  I don't know how good the pattern is, but the corset shape is probably closer to what you would need than an elizabethan corset.
Got faerie dust?

LadyStitch

A good victorian Corset you can buy is from Scarlett's Corsetts http://www.scarlettscorset.com/about_us.html
I love these and they are reasonably priced. She will fit people from a size 2-42.

I haven't made a victorian corset myself, but 4 of my freind have in a corset class.  They said it was VERY difficult especially to make it look and fit right. They had to use spring steel to get it to fit and look right.

LadyStitch

And now for a question of my own....

Since this isn't ren related I thought I should post this here. Hopefully the other's see it. 

I just got hired to costume a production of a Sweeney Todd Melodrama. Thankfully I know the director  (my hubby got hired as director, it's going to be intresting me working for him :P )
I'm looking for a good place to get 19th century suggestions and assistance. does anyboy know of any good news groups who specialize in this area? Thanks for the help.

Elennare

The corsets at Scarlet's Corsets look lovely, but they are too tall in the back to work under my dress.  I may have to invest in one just because, they're so pretty!
So, I made my corset.  I used Simplicity 9769 for the pattern.  I also found a store that sells busks (and steel boning!), but they were closed, so I couldn't pick up a busk in time.  Since I couldn't get the busk in time, I decided to just make a muslin of the corset, sew the front closed, put the boning in it (I used cable ties) and finish the edges and wear that to the fitting, then make the real one when I get the busk. 
I had to take the bust in about 2 inches (will probably take in slightly less in the final version).  I have no idea how they expect the top of that corset to support anyone as-is.  I wear a D cup, and it wasn't close to supporting me before I took it in!  It also ended up about an inch shorter on my hips than I would like/then it appears in the pattern picture.  So, I will need to correct that when I make the final one.  I also need to lower the top of the back 1.5 inches or so, so it doesn't stick up past my dress.  I may try making the bottom of the back a bit longer to help off-set that.  To the experienced corset people, will that do anything, or is that a stupid idea?

BUT!  I successfully made a corset that fit me!  I'm happy, since this was my first attempt at making a real corset.  I don't have any pics, but I'll try to get some of the final one.  :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

sealion

Quote from: Elennare on August 18, 2008, 12:53:35 PM
The corsets at Scarlet's Corsets look lovely, but they are too tall in the back to work under my dress.  I may have to invest in one just because, they're so pretty!
So, I made my corset.  I used Simplicity 9769 for the pattern.  I also found a store that sells busks (and steel boning!), but they were closed, so I couldn't pick up a busk in time.  Since I couldn't get the busk in time, I decided to just make a muslin of the corset, sew the front closed, put the boning in it (I used cable ties) and finish the edges and wear that to the fitting, then make the real one when I get the busk. 
I had to take the bust in about 2 inches (will probably take in slightly less in the final version).  I have no idea how they expect the top of that corset to support anyone as-is.  I wear a D cup, and it wasn't close to supporting me before I took it in!   It also ended up about an inch shorter on my hips than I would like/then it appears in the pattern picture.  So, I will need to correct that when I make the final one.  I also need to lower the top of the back 1.5 inches or so, so it doesn't stick up past my dress.  I may try making the bottom of the back a bit longer to help off-set that.  To the experienced corset people, will that do anything, or is that a stupid idea?

BUT!  I successfully made a corset that fit me!  I'm happy, since this was my first attempt at making a real corset.  I don't have any pics, but I'll try to get some of the final one.  :)

Apparently the larger your cup size, the more "squish factor" there is. I've only made one corset so far but ended up taking the bust in about four inches. I am a DDD cup and my corset squishes me about six inches. When I am wearing it is the only time I feel somewhat normal!  :D
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Elennare

It was more an issue of "cup size" (well, corset equivalent since it doesn't actually have cups) too big, not lack of squish.  It touched the bottom of my chest, and then stuck straight out.  So, shaped as it was, there was no way it was going to provide any support.  It couldn't squish, because the top was bigger around than I was.

Sometimes I wonder if the picture on the front of Simplicity patterns was actually made from the pattern inside the package.  I've run into issues like this with their stuff before, where it doesn't fit close to how it's depicted on the packaging (bodice with 4 INCHES of ease in the bust?!?).  They must modify the patterns to fit the model, instead of making it to size as on the pattern. :/

Elennare

Finally got pictures of this costume and I thought I'd share.  It's not strictly faire-related, so I put it here.

Was made for a costume contest, which I ended up winning. :)

renren

Congrats,Elennare!
That's a nice costume!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL