News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinn

for a man ..if I take in the side it shortens the front... I am thinking I may have to put darts in to get the correct fit.

https://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/4483/to-get-the-right-armhole-fit-the-bodice/page/all
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

gem

Yes, but the happy news is that you don't have to put the darts into the final garment! You can pinch them out in the muslin, then trace the new darted shape as if the darts are not there onto your pattern/muslin/fabric, and it should fit. It will affect the shape of the armscye--it will look weird (probably L-shaped instead of a U or a J), but you won't be able to tell when it's being worn.

(This isn't mundane--or male--but that's how I finally eliminated the armscye gaping in this bodice. It works best on things like vests, because you don't *also* have to adjust a sleeve to fit the new armscye.)

Jenn!!! Ohmigosh, you look *gorgeous!* That dress is just scrumptious. Is it rayon jersey?

Pinn

Gramercy... I had a "Douh" moment.
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Sabrina Black

Thought I'd get this thread going again with a few recently finished projects.  I made these for my niece's baby:

Wench-in-training

Sabrina Black

Third picture didn't show up for some reason:
Wench-in-training

Auryn

super super cute, and I love the elephant
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Sabrina Black

Thank you!  I had a great time making them :D
Wench-in-training

Elennare

My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Kate XXXXXX

Nissa

I've been going to a new class at the Gym called Hot Hula.  The instructor has been bringing lava-lavas for everyone to wear, but she doesn't have enough for everyone, so I'd like to make one of my own.  All the instructions I've found so far are kind of confusing- Does anyone know where I can find easy to follow instructions for a lava-lava (preferably with pictures)?

Something like this is what I have in mind: http://www.etsy.com/listing/51838664/pareo-solid-color-full-size-rayon?ref=sr_gallery_13&ga_search_query=lava-lava&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

Thanks!

Trillium

A lava lava or sarong or pareo (just depends on island you are on) is just a long rectangle of fabric.  Get a measurement from one at your class. All you need to do is hem edges. 
Got faerie dust?

Nissa

Sounds simple enough.  I'll have to see if I can get to class early enough next week to get a good look at one. 

Trillium

also, if you live in an area where stores are still selling bathing suits, you may be able to buy a sarong, probably on clearance  ;)
Got faerie dust?

Margaret

I have some 'normal' sewing to do for a party coming up. 

This.  I.  Want.  This.

There is a Vogue pattern there that I can do this out of (V1172).  I am just wonderin how much tulle I will need to get to make the skirt go "poof" or should I make a crinoline as well.

I think I am voting for making a crinoline, but I'd like some feedback.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

isabelladangelo

The skirt looks like silk organza over a satin layer.  Beneath that, you'd want a petticoat that has a thin layer of tulle around the waist but doubles up around the hem, broomstick skirt style.  This will allow you to cut down on yardages.  Also, Double up the bottom layer of the tulle petticoat for fullness.  Something like this but shorter.