News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

Cute, Kate!

Not really mundane but not Renn related at all either so....

DSC04351 par Isabella, on ipernity

My 1920's party dress I just finished.  :-)  It needs a good iron but other than that, it's done.  I also made period correct 1920's undies (combinations and a brassiere) to go with it so I'll have something of the correct silhouette, I hope!

Kate XXXXXX

Wish we had 'like' buttons on here!

Dipping into fantasy, the Victorian era, and the 1940's nest!  Hopwe I get time to do the 40's undies...

isabelladangelo

Which part of the Victorian?   I'm supposed to be working on my 1863 wardrobe.  ....   I might be done in time in November!  Can't wait to see the 40's!   

Kate XXXXXX

Generic 'Victorian' steampunk frock coat and waistcoat for a gent of heroic proportions!

40's is for the UK Freeforms run of Cassablanca in February, but we want stuff to display at both the National Living History Fayre and Gothic Consequences (free-form games convention) in November.  I need to make one of my three Cassablanca outfits.  I have a suit, a summer frock, and a ball gown to make!

Customer projects also for November include three fantasy outfits for a shopping mall Christmas Grotto, the Victorian gent, and a Mock Kirtle and Elizabethan shift!  And Su needs a black and silver Mock Kirtle, a gold one, and her 1940's ball gown, all for Consequences games!

I think we may be a LEEEEETLE busy!

LadyStitch

I've got my puppet sized Jack Harkness coat I am finishing up.  I have the Morticia drag dress I am doing for a client for Halloween, a Hermione outfit for my daughter for Halloween, AND put the trim on the fuzzlet's  new pirate outfit in time for pirate weekend at TRF.  Oh and somewhere in there put the finishing touches on the Captain Mal puppet outfit for my husband, and make new winter outfits for my daughter, and her christmas dress.  I flat told the hubby NO MORE sewing projects unless they are mine until I say other wise.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Kate XXXXXX

The two-and-a-half day suit I made for my nephew's wedding last Wednesday:

This was my total bargain fabric from Hudderfield cloth, down to £19.95 per meter rather than £134.95!

gypsylakat

My guy loves the movie Elf and we've been kidding about a Buddy the Elf costume for about a year. He just volunteered to be Buddy for an event my mom is doing next month. All of the costumes I've found so far SUCK.
So I have Simplicity 4059

And I'm thinking if I draft in a curve at the front and attach the sleeves it might look relatively right once I add fur to the cuff and sleeve.... and draft out the peplum thing on the arm Thoughts? Is there an easier way to do this? A better pattern?
For reference:
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

gem

The pattern Isabella linked to is still in print; you ought to be able to find it at JoAnn/etc.

The biggest problem I see with S4059 is that the sleeves aren't set in; they're meant to tie on, which means I'm not sure if they're drafted to fit the armscye of the doublet fully, like you'd want for Buddy. 4059 also has no collar, so you'd have to draft that yourself, too.

S4393 uses the same pieces for the elf costume and the Santa view, so it would be easy to adapt the longer Santa coat to get the Buddy look.

IMO, after studying Buddy's costume, I think the most important elements are getting the fabric right (a really nice quality real wool felt--which is $$$), and that machine-embroidered trim around the front.

Good luck!! 

gypsylakat

I actually looked at 4393 when I was in the store, but my brain didn't click over to the long santa coat..
http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/33440
that review shows someone actually using it as the buddy costume, fixing one of my main issues with the pattern- she used a zipper to get rid of the overlapping front closure...
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

isabelladangelo

Quote from: gypsylakat on October 07, 2013, 08:50:47 AM
I actually looked at 4393 when I was in the store, but my brain didn't click over to the long santa coat..
http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/33440
that review shows someone actually using it as the buddy costume, fixing one of my main issues with the pattern- she used a zipper to get rid of the overlapping front closure...

....Why wouldn't you just take an inch off either side of the front and use a regular hook and eye at the waist?   

gem

Here is the quote from the review:

QuoteThere is a front band that is attached to the front to button the jacket closed. I did not use this band. I added double folded bias tape on all of the edges of the jacket and attached a zipper to the front of the jacket.

Elennare

I need some help with modifying a pattern.  Hubby wants to be a jedi for Halloween.  He particularly wants to be a jedi wearing one of the big robes.  So, we're making him one.  Following the pattern here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36267&sid=f1ac81a055e3147b11e7d41a5a9307a7

The problem?  The fabric store didn't have enough of the fabric, so he had to go to a second store, where they had enough to make up the balance, but not all in one go.  So, we have a 2-yard piece, a 3-yard piece, and a 6-yard piece.

Obviously, we can't follow the pattern as presented given the fabric we've got to work with.  Trying to avoid funky seams, I'm thinking our best bet is going to be to make the sleeve separate pieces and hide (at least most of) the seams in the shoulder tucks.  Here's my question, though.  Where and how to cut the pattern to accomplish this?  I've done lots of pattern modifying and splicing, but I've not yet tried to create an arm scythe from basically scratch.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, especially since Halloween is less than a week away and we don't have a lot of time to sew... :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

isabelladangelo

I'm not sure why you would need 6 yards for a robe like that to begin with.  I make my Turkish robes - very similar in style- out of 3 yards.  Unless your belt size and height are within a few inches of each other, there is no reason for 6 yards of a 45" - 60" width material.   

You can see my pattern for a Turkish coat here:  http://isabelladangelo.webs.com/turkishcoat.htm

Rather than a gore as I have in my pattern, just extend the robe length to the other edge and don't include a waist.  Cut 2 of the robe - one on the fold, one not.  That should be a bit over 3 yards, maybe.  Use the excess to make up the hood.  You could also use a generic t -tunic pattern, just leaving it open at the front. 

Elennare

Not having had a chance to mess around with it, my guess as to the reason for all the material is that it's a VERY full robe, with giant sleeves that are cut in one piece with the body.  There is also a tuck at each shoulder that is 5" deep in addition to the length.  Given that hubby is right around 6' tall, and wing-span is roughly equal to height, that would make 6' + 30", so 8' 6", call it 3 yards with seam allowances thrown in.  Double that, cuz he'd need the whole 60" width for the height...except, it's done with fold along the shoulder "seam" and the actual seam down the back...so, ~12' in one piece, 4 yards, doubled cuz there's 2 sides, which makes 8 yards max.  Yeah, I have no idea how the guy used 10 yards of material.

I think your Turkish coat is more fitted than what we're trying to make, but your pattern isn't showing right for me.  I strongly suspect it's cuz I'm on my work computer right now.  I'll take another look at it when I get home.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll have to play around with it some more, but if hubby's willing to live with seams down the arms (he might not be, because he want's it to be pretty movie-accurate), we might be able to do this in just the 6 yard piece.  Heck, we might be able to fit it on there anyway, if we play around with it a bit.  Dude making the pattern used 1" seam allowances, which he then trimmed way down, for some odd reason.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/