News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elennare

Also...the only sewing I'm actually likely to get done any time soon...
The little boy's Halloween costume:
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Elennare on October 28, 2013, 12:12:21 PM
Not having had a chance to mess around with it, my guess as to the reason for all the material is that it's a VERY full robe, with giant sleeves that are cut in one piece with the body.  There is also a tuck at each shoulder that is 5" deep in addition to the length.  Given that hubby is right around 6' tall, and wing-span is roughly equal to height, that would make 6' + 30", so 8' 6", call it 3 yards with seam allowances thrown in.  Double that, cuz he'd need the whole 60" width for the height...except, it's done with fold along the shoulder "seam" and the actual seam down the back...so, ~12' in one piece, 4 yards, doubled cuz there's 2 sides, which makes 8 yards max.  Yeah, I have no idea how the guy used 10 yards of material.

I think your Turkish coat is more fitted than what we're trying to make, but your pattern isn't showing right for me.  I strongly suspect it's cuz I'm on my work computer right now.  I'll take another look at it when I get home.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll have to play around with it some more, but if hubby's willing to live with seams down the arms (he might not be, because he want's it to be pretty movie-accurate), we might be able to do this in just the 6 yard piece.  Heck, we might be able to fit it on there anyway, if we play around with it a bit.  Dude making the pattern used 1" seam allowances, which he then trimmed way down, for some odd reason.

http://padawansguide.com/ben.shtml

There is a seam on the original at the armscye.   So, big trapezoid for the body, two smaller ones for the sleeves, and 2 big squares for the hood. 

isabelladangelo

par Isabella, on ipernity

Two of "da nephews".  :-)  Or Link (I'm Zelda, I'm told) and the yellow butterfly.  I made both outfits (and the one year old's who did NOT want to pose) out of fleece for warmth.  It's typically cold on Halloween around DC.  The five year old declared he wanted to be Link - no problem!   T-Tunic and a nightcap hat coming right up!  The 3 year old, however, was insistent on being a yellow butterfly.   

Butterfly par Isabella, on ipernity

Slightly better detail of the butterfly cape.  When I gave him his butterfly cape, he ran around the house with it on yelling "Butterfly!" over and over again.  It was really funny.  The cape is yellow satin in between two layers of black fleece. 

Can't wait until they tell me what they want to be next year!

PollyPoPo

THE NEWEST SUPER HERO!  BUTTERFLY BOY!

He overpowers women with his dimpled smile and smashes the bad guys by smearing them with finger foods.

They are both adorable.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

isabelladangelo

Lol!   Thanks!   Butterfly boy's nickname is the Destroyer.  If you need something broken, just give it to him.   It's why my brother and I found it so hilarious that he wanted to be a butterfly for Halloween.  (All the boys love going to the museum to see the live butterfly exhibit so we are pretty sure that's where he got the idea)  I think he's Mothra's child and will be going after Godzilla next.   ;-)

Rani Zemirah

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

isabelladangelo

DSC03243 par Isabella, on ipernity

It's not really mundane - it's for the 150th Anniversary at Gettysburg next weekend - but it's definitely not Renn either. 

Mlle de Carcassonne

Could anyone help with a problem that's arisen a couple of times for me? When I've tried to make a dress or a top that is a bit low cut, and have used thick fabrics like denim or stretch sateen, the garment ends up with a significant gap between me and the garment around the neck area. Is it just because I've used such stiff fabrics?

isabelladangelo

If you cut the front too deep, what you are really doing is messing with the integrity of the shoulder straps.  Make a mock up of the dress/top out of duck cloth.  Pin it together at the sides (to the waist) and shoulders.  From there, you can "pinch" the duck cloth until you get the desired shape.   -You probably need to pinch it right at the shoulder join on the inside.  Once you are satisfied, cut off any excess and use the duck cloth as your pattern. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The first of 2 dresses I am making for myself for various occasions. based on my current set of measurements, I cut out a Size 16, rather than the 20 to 22 I was used to when I was almost 50 pounds heavier. I am down 48 since June.

The fabric is a Black Knit with a floral design in Red sparkles. The fabric was an impulse buy at Hancock Fabrics last week when I was there to buy Blood Red Velveteen for 70% off for a new Elizabethan gown. I saw the fabric and it jumped out at me. I would have regretted not buying any for a dress.

the pattern I used for this dress was NEW LOOK 6305
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rani Zemirah

Congratulations, LadyK!  How exciting!  And that is an absolutely lovely frock!  I have no doubt that you are going to rock it wherever you decide to wear it!  ;) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyStitch

The PP got me some Truly Victorian Patterns and my brother got me a $50 gift cert to Joanns.  I have already made one 1880's Petticoat and I am not about to embark on making the next most complicated outfit I have ever made in my life.  I made the mistake of thinking I needed more of a challange.  Next time, tell me to keep my mouth shut.  The way I see it when I am done I will have a lovely 1880's victorian gown to wear to dickens fest and to the new years victorian ball next year.  Wish me luck. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Kate XXXXXX

Congrats on the weight loss, Lady K!  (I seem to be going in the other direction...   :'( )

Progress on a couple of personal projects, and about as mundane as it get round here!

Rocking the 1940's!  Toiles for the ball gown and day dress for the Cafe Cassablanca game.  Both drafted from pictures.

And the suit...  For once using a commercial pattern!  This tome a Vintage Vogue one.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1/q89/s720x720/1491594_652244204821689_1711202445_n.jpg

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

You look great, Kate. As does your latest project.

I have been doing the Weight Watchers 360 program and the Simple Start recipies. I weigh in every week and stay for the meetings. I still have at least 13 pounds I want to lose to give me leeway for when I have times I may not get to a meeting.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

isabelladangelo

Another not so mundane but proves I have been sewing project:

IMG 0318 par Isabella, on ipernity

My latest Regency gown.  This one is loosely based off of one in a museum.   Tons more at my blog:
http://isabelladangelo.blogspot.com/2014/02/historical-sew-fortnightly-14-challenge.html