News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiaLD77

Quote from: Elennare on August 18, 2008, 12:53:35 PM
So, I will need to correct that when I make the final one.  I also need to lower the top of the back 1.5 inches or so, so it doesn't stick up past my dress.  I may try making the bottom of the back a bit longer to help off-set that.  To the experienced corset people, will that do anything, or is that a stupid idea?

BUT!  I successfully made a corset that fit me!  I'm happy, since this was my first attempt at making a real corset.  I don't have any pics, but I'll try to get some of the final one.  :)

Congrats on gettgin the first one done! a note on makign the back longer....be carful you dont get it to long because when you sit it will push up, in the back & under your arms, it can be very uncomfortable by the end of a long day.
I want to play with your head like a drunk kitten:)

Bugsy

Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Elennare

Based on looking at that picture, here's what I think.

Doesn't look like it would be too hard to remove the train.  Unless there's some sort of embroidery or such on the back, they should just be able to hem it, I would think.

What sort of lacing do you want?  You could punch holes and add grommets.  I don't think that would look very good, though.  You should be able to add lacing rings and do it that way.  Either of those options would be fairly easy, if you left the existing closure and added the lacing over it.  If you wanted to remove the existing closure and/or use small loops of fabric to lace through (as is often done on fancy dresses), you would need to completely (or close enough to completely) re-work the bodice.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Bugsy

Quote from: Elennare on November 13, 2008, 02:30:51 PM
Based on looking at that picture, here's what I think.

Doesn't look like it would be too hard to remove the train.  Unless there's some sort of embroidery or such on the back, they should just be able to hem it, I would think.

What sort of lacing do you want?  You could punch holes and add grommets.  I don't think that would look very good, though.  You should be able to add lacing rings and do it that way.  Either of those options would be fairly easy, if you left the existing closure and added the lacing over it.  If you wanted to remove the existing closure and/or use small loops of fabric to lace through (as is often done on fancy dresses), you would need to completely (or close enough to completely) re-work the bodice.

Thank you for responding, Elenore.

Honestly, I'd be happy with whatever would work the best. 
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
sister of Lady Pegos

Elennare

Quote from: Bugsey on November 13, 2008, 03:17:38 PM
it says there is hand beaded trim on the hem line.  but, I suppose I'll have to let that go anyway because I'm so short I know the whole thing will have to be hemmed a LOT, lol.

looking at the picture again, I think I see the trim.  It looks like it's on the underlayer of the skirt.  So, if you wanted to keep it, you could probably have the tailor hem the outer skirt normally, but shorten the underskirt by removing the bottom edge, shortening the skirt and then sewing the strip of trim back on as an extension.  If this was done high enough up under the outer layers the seam would not show.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Richard de Graeme

Whilst participating in a Samhain ritual around the fire I, unwittingly, set the sleeve of me robe on fire. Two holes were burned, each approximately 4 inches in length. The robe is heavy cotton weave. How may I repair said burn holes? I seek the guidance of all those skilled in garment repair. Help!
"For it is the doom of man that they forget."
NE OUBLIE!
Purveyor of dubious wisdom
Player of spoons
Herbalist

Bugsy

Thank you Elennare.  You see what I do not see  ;D  you're a big help, thank you.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
sister of Lady Pegos

Aiacha

I've had a friend at work here ask if I can make her a hoodie which has a woman's shaping.  The only sewing I do is really from patterns, but I can't find one that is specifically made for a woman.  I have found :

Simplicity 5362
McCalls 5538
McCalls 5252

Does anyone happen to know a way to alter these slightly, or even if there is an existing pattern which is geared specifically toward women?

Thanks!!

Manwariel

This isn't exactly mundane, but it's not festival garb, either. I made this medieval dress for my younger sister:

Hoowil

Well, I made this (cape and hat) for a present for somebody in my wife's moms' group:

and I've been offered a commission to make two more for a pair of twin girls for next fall. I'm fairly stoked about the idea, but haven't made anything for money before, and am trying to figure out pricing and such. I know some of the folks around here do commission work, and I was hoping to get some input. How much to charge for my time? I still have the patterns I made, so that should save me a little time over the first one, which took me about five hours for the set, including making Patterson and a full mock-up of the hat. Do I have the lady supply all her own fabric and notions? If not, what about a materials mark up?
Anyhow, any input would be appriciated.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Manwariel

tigerlilly

Quote from: Aiacha on November 26, 2008, 07:31:23 AM
I've had a friend at work here ask if I can make her a hoodie which has a woman's shaping.  The only sewing I do is really from patterns, but I can't find one that is specifically made for a woman.  I have found :

Simplicity 5362
McCalls 5538
McCalls 5252

Does anyone happen to know a way to alter these slightly, or even if there is an existing pattern which is geared specifically toward women?

Thanks!!

It may be too late now, but have you seen McCalls 4261?  Stumbled across it accidentally yesterday.

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Hoowil on February 15, 2009, 04:16:19 PM
Well, I made this (cape and hat) for a present for somebody in my wife's moms' group:

and I've been offered a commission to make two more for a pair of twin girls for next fall. I'm fairly stoked about the idea, but haven't made anything for money before, and am trying to figure out pricing and such. I know some of the folks around here do commission work, and I was hoping to get some input. How much to charge for my time? I still have the patterns I made, so that should save me a little time over the first one, which took me about five hours for the set, including making Patterson and a full mock-up of the hat. Do I have the lady supply all her own fabric and notions? If not, what about a materials mark up?
Anyhow, any input would be appriciated.
I sort of look at it as how much your time is worth. I don't own my own sewing machine, but I work in a costume shop. If I have to take time off work to work on my own stuff for other people, then I charge them the same I would be making in the shop (which is about $6.50/hr) and add up the hours. I usually charge about half that for hours that I'm just hand sewing or cutting fabric, because I do it in front of the TV. I also have only made things for friends so far, and I know that we're all college students, so I don't make them pay too much.

I have worked both ways as far as fabric goes. For one person, who had supplied their own pattern, I went with them to the fabric store. That way, they were able to pick out and pay for their own fabric, but I was able to guide them in the types of fabrics they should be using. Another person didn't have time to go to the store, but told me colors. I was just making them a simple Ren shirt and pants, so I estimated the amount, and then just added the cost of the fabric to the cost for my time.

Elennare

Does anyone know where I can find a pattern for a Victorian corset with straps (built-in, not tie-on)? 

All I can seem to find are Elizabethan with and without straps and Victorian without straps.  It doesn't even actually need to be a historical pattern.  Modern corsets are close enough in shape (for my purposes, anyway.  I'm not enough of a h/a person to know if they're actually the same shape or not) that I'd take one of those as well.  It's for a costume, so close enough is close enough. :) 

I know exactly the style I want, so if people need a picture of what I'm talking about in order to recommend a pattern, let me know and I'll dig up a picture.  Heck, if the pattern can just get me in the ballpark, I can modify it to what I want.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

sealion

I don't have the links handy at the moment but try googling Laughing Moon patterns and/or Truely Victorian patterns.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin