News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epona

How do you guys make holes for the grommets? Last time I did it it involved an awl, scissors, a pocket knife, and strong language, and needless to say it was NOT pretty.  :o
Tips on how to make nice, consistent same sized holes would be appreciated. My next project is going to involve at least 34 grommets (very well might end up closer to 50), so I'd like it to be less of a battle and about 58x more efficient.

Pinn

I have a punch that I purchased from Tandy Leather.
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

isabelladangelo

I don't use grommets in the vast majority of my outfits - our ancestors didn't use them until the 1820's.   Even then, hand sewn eyelets were still quite common.   Actually, I can't recall a dress that used grommets - only corsets.

Anyway, to create a hole in the fabric for eyelets, I do use a very sharp awl made of bone or a hole puncher depending on if I can find the stupid awl because I'm always loosing the thing the weave of the fabric.  It's going to be harder going through a twill than an organza.   Although the eyelet tool you get at Joanns isn't good for actually setting those cheap grommets, it is pretty decent at punching the hole.

Rowan MacD

An additional benefit to using hand bound eyelets:  They are not only harder to spot, but they are very forgiving of different sized aglets. 

If you have a lacing cord with a decorative aglet on it, you may find the hand set metal grommets can go on kind of wonky, no matter how careful you are.
   If the grommet size is very close to the aglet size, even a slight distortion of the hole will stop you from passing the aglet through it, and much cursing ensues while you search for a rat tail file to even out the hole.   Hand set metal grommets also tend to have rough edges inside which will eventually saw through the laces.   
   Machine set grommets are a bit better, but unless you do this a lot, you probably don't want to invest in a machine.   Lady K sends her grommet projects to a shoemaker to set them.

As for the original question: I use a rotary type belt punch-the kind that look like pliers. If the punch tube is sharp-it will cut fabric like butter.
  You can also use a smooth awl (I use a stainless steel one) to start the hole, then I use increasing sizes of knitting needles to enlarge them to the desired size.   I use the same technique for hand bound eyelets.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Downton 321 par Isabella, on ipernity

Okay, so this isn't exactly Mundane....  My latest 1920's dress. 

arbcoind

Wow!  You remind me of photographs of my grandmother when she was a young woman.  She was born in 1910. 

Gina

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Thank you, Gina!  The car is from 1927.  I was trying to go for about 1924 or so.   

Thanks, Rowen.   I can't wear the cloches - I have too much hair.   :D  I did mine up in a very 1920's style though - think Princess Leia but with braids.  Not all ladies bobbed their hair.   ;)

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The csr and you look wonderful together, Isabella.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

isabelladangelo

Rani Zemirah

Oh, my goodness!  What a beast that car is... so HUGE!  It's easy to forget that the really nice cars used to be made on such a massive scale... and how really roomy they were, also! 

Isabelle, you look lovely in your sweet little spring frock!  I do agree about the hat, although maybe something with a bit more room for your tresses.  The cloche is one of my very favorite styles of hat, though... so flattering!  I think this one on the top left hand side would be pretty with it, as well, though... since you look like you're on your way to a garden party!  :)  Of course, the parasol adds just the perfect touch without a hat.   

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

isabelladangelo

My latest creation - 1860's Civil War summer dress.  The skirt kept riding up because I didn't make it completely h/a - which would have had the nice deep hem and kept the stupid thing from riding up!   Gah!   Oh well - lesson learned.  :-)

Rani Zemirah

It's stunning, though!  How absolutely lovely!  Definitely a very flattering look for you, also...  :) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

gem

That candy-stripe pink is seriously the cutest thing ever.

isabelladangelo

Thanks Rani & Gem!  I was surprised by how many people liked this relatively simple outfit.   I think the pink stipy skirt might become an overskirt in the future - with a very lacy petticoat beneath the skirt to show off.  ;-)