News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

I have been lucky when I have had to costume in the Victorian era.  Our theater does Christmas Carol every year so we have somethings that can work.  Also they tend to do alot of the Victorian Gothic horror stuff (sweeny todd, frankenstien, werewolf, and dracula).  The only problem is that they get used so much I end up having to make 2-3 gowns each time because everything is wearing out due to 30 years of shows with 30 performances each. 

Lady Rosalind,  You might want to check out.  Myowntuxedo.com   They have tuxedo's that were former rentals they can't rent again, but are in perfect condition.  You can get size 4 T  to men's 72 in both pants, jackets and shirts.  Use the coupon code "Bowtie"  and you can get 10% off.   They have been great to get those victorian era dinner jackets I need for the gentlemen.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Rosalind

Quote from: LadyStitch on October 21, 2015, 08:58:43 AM
I have been lucky when I have had to costume in the Victorian era.  Our theater does Christmas Carol every year so we have somethings that can work.  Also they tend to do alot of the Victorian Gothic horror stuff (sweeny todd, frankenstien, werewolf, and dracula).  The only problem is that they get used so much I end up having to make 2-3 gowns each time because everything is wearing out due to 30 years of shows with 30 performances each. 

Lady Rosalind,  You might want to check out.  Myowntuxedo.com   They have tuxedo's that were former rentals they can't rent again, but are in perfect condition.  You can get size 4 T  to men's 72 in both pants, jackets and shirts.  Use the coupon code "Bowtie"  and you can get 10% off.   They have been great to get those victorian era dinner jackets I need for the gentlemen.

Love that site! I WISH I could buy jackets, but my whole costume budget is $250. For 10 people needing 2 costumes each, plus one additional costume. I'm heading out to our university warehouse this evening to see what else I can find. They really need to quit copying and pasting budgets without considering the show requirements.

Rani Zemirah

My only Victorian "make-do" secret is... drapery valances for bustles.  The ornate brocade type that are often scalloped, preferably with fringe or at least braided trim.  I find them in thrift stores all the time, and they are usually in colors that are perfect matches for Victorian era clothing.  Rich claret, plum, emerald or topaz... I have them all... and they make wonderful faux bustles that can be added and removed easily, especially if you can find a matching pair. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

isabelladangelo

Happy Halloween!!!

DSC09603 par Isabella, on ipernity

Luigi, my nephew.  Bowser, my brother.  Princess Peach, my sister in law.  Mario, my nephew.  Toad, another nephew, was throwing a tantrum in the corner and we were ignoring him so he's not in the photo. 

What you can't see is Bowser's green fleece tail and green fleece turtle shell.   I drafted and sewed up Princess Peach's dress.   My nephews are outfited in either Walmart or Thrift Store finds for the most part.   Those two were thrilled.  The 3 year old didn't believe us that if he dressed up, he'd get free candy. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I am currently working on a 1950's wedding dress for a client in Minneapolis. I am making a version of this. the main fabric is a silk taffeta. The Lace Overlay is an Alencon lace that retails for $40 a yard. The Silk, $30 a yard. I am going to make a Pleated belt to break up the lace and give it a more contrasted look.

The Sweetheart Bodice that is fully underlined with a layer of Canvas, lightly boned with Regaline, and lined.

The Lace overlay. I did make mockups of this part of the project to get a good fit and leave no room for any mistakes. I needed to make a few adjustments. I used the silk as a bias strip for the neckline and  sleeves. I am using McCalls 6646 with some adaptations. There will be Buttons and loops in the back for the Overlay, invisible zipper. Now on to the skirting.

I was able to do French seaming on the overlay to not show any serged edges. There will be some in the back, but hardly noticeable.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Butch

It looks beautiful!  The bride will be so happy!

isabelladangelo

It looks like in the inspiration photo that the lace top is connected to a pinch pleated and then flared skirt - very similar to view c of Simplicity Pattern 3673.  Did the bride want something without the pleats at through the torso?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Those are darts, Isabella. They blend in with the seams on the bodice.

More photos as I progress.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The skirting is just pinned on because I was short on the Silk Taffeta for the underskirt. I ordered more to have another section of the back. The Alencon lace is gathered to spread over the under skirt. I made a pleated belt to break up the lace.

The bottom of the lace near the hem edge is a scalloped pattern. The actual hem of the skirt will show off the scalloping.  This is the desired look the Bride wants. The underslip, I have to hem once the dress is finished to determine the new length.

Butch

Ah!  Now I understand what you meant by "pleated belt"; like a cummerbund!  Are you having the pleats open upwards like a cummerbund too?  For some reason, I was thinking vertical pleats (!) and couldn't imaging that looking good.  I'm glad you showed us pictures!  How beautiful!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Bride in her custom designed and made Wedding Dress. So many people raved about it. The in-laws, who traveled from France, loved that the overlay was Alencon Lace. It was a lovely wedding and reception at Summit Manor on Summit Avenue in St. Paul.

Butch

The dress looks beautiful on her! I love the way the lace is shown at the hem!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

baronessdevale

I'm hoping some of the experts here can help me. I'm looking for a site where I can order some colorful ostrich feathers on the cheap. My daughter's high school is performing Les Miserables so our budget is slim. We were thinking the feathers would be good for the prostitutes' hair. As such they can look rather tattered and not in perfect shape. I really appreciate any advice!

Trillium

You may want to try doing a search in the garbing and sewing sections.   It seems like that topic has come up a few times!

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Got faerie dust?