News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willin

here. . .

yack it up till your finger tips go numb

GOT FEET ?

ladiedragon

thanks willin, so is this gonna be a sticky thread?

willin

someone with the power would have to formally make it 'sticky'.
i'm not a moderator for this thread.

lets see if it gets any use.
[/size]

GOT FEET ?

Kate XXXXXX

OK, first question...

Not mundane, still costume related, but out of period for ren-fair!

I'm looking for a long (6"-8") glass beaded fringe made with seed beads, to put on a Regency shawl.  Needs to be old ivory or pale amber in colour...  I'd obviously prefer a UK source, but as I've already spent several months trying to find this, right now anywhere in the world would be good!

Kate XXXXXX

Pretty things!  A couple of them might be getting close...  THANK YOU! ;D ;D

gypsylakat

Leona posted this in response to questions I had about how the heck you make a tutu for a little girl in a dance class... I'll be using this to probably make a few skirts to sell at a craft fair as well

So here's what I've done for contless spirit days at school! Easy and Quick!
Go out and get some tule (the stuff with really small holes that's not super stiff but more fabric-y) in what ever color(s) you want, I usually do 2 but you could do more or less. Also pick up some satin ribbon, maybe 3 yards. What you want to do is find the length you want the tutu to be (just measure from where you plan for the waist to sit to the desired length) and multiply this by 2. Then cut about a billion strips of tule that are about 4 ices wide and as long as the number you got when you doubled the length. Grab your ribbon and start tying the tule on! just fold the strips in half and thread the ends through the loop over the ribbon! repeat that last step about a billion times and viola... a tutu!  here's the link with better instructions and pics   

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambrosialove/522118984/
be warned this will be poofy!
if you want stripes tie on 2 or 3 of each color next to each other, if you want it to look more blended just do 1 at a time! Good luck!
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

John

Quote from: ladiedragon on May 30, 2008, 01:59:59 PM
thanks willin, so is this gonna be a sticky thread?
This topic has been stickied.

CaraGreenleaf

Yay for John!  :D

So, who here has tried mending jean pockets? I've got a friend who consistently destroys the back pockets of his jeans. Any hints on patching that would last more than a couple of days?
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

LadyStitch

Our wardrobe shop got hired by the tech's to figure out how to patch their work jeans.  We eneded up patching them with pieces from old jeans and using tight, nearly darning, stitches.

I think a big question would be,"where are the back pocket's wearing out?" Where I work in my mundane job I have to answer  customers complaints about why their pants are wearing out so quickly. If the cornors of the pockets are wearing out/ tearing away from the jeans  themselves that is due to 'wallet syndrome'. Typical wallets 'should' only be no thicker than 1 inch.  Over the course of 10 washings the cornors should not fail.  If your wallet is larger than that you are putting extra stress on the anchor points and they WILL fail alot quicker.

FYI common complaints I get:
back seam rip :  less than 10 washings and it splits, I'm sorry but you may need a size or two larger pant.  You are stressing the seam
Hem is fraying:  The back of the pants leg is fraying is less than 10 washings. Check to see if your pant legs are dragging in the back, if so you need shorter pants. Please hem them or buy a shorter pair.
Inner upper thigh wearing out:  Less than 10 washings and they fray/wear out.  They are failing due to abrasion.  Every pair of pants has this issue, but yours are under more stress than average.  Try a larger size, or sturdier material.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

CaraGreenleaf

Unfortunately, none of those (while still very useful!) are none of the issues he has.

The fabric between the back center seam and the back pocket wears thin...about a half inch up and over from the inner pocket corners towards the belt line. If it were just a seam, Id just patch it up with upholstery thread, unfortunately, it's actually worn fabric. Stick with the "patch it with a butchered pair of jeans" solution?

LadyStitch

Sounds like patch with a pair of butchered jean solution.  That is a very odd spot to wear out  ??? Does he do anything that requires a tool belt or anything that might remotely rub against that area?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Athena

Does anyone know where I can find vintage fabrics or fabrics with vintage prints? I'm interested in making clothing in 1930s and 40s styles and I'm not getting that feel from the inventory at the fabric stores I usually frequent.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

CaraGreenleaf

Quote from: LadyStitch on June 12, 2008, 04:39:53 PM
Sounds like patch with a pair of butchered jean solution.  That is a very odd spot to wear out  ??? Does he do anything that requires a tool belt or anything that might remotely rub against that area?

Not really....that's why I'm mystified. Though it could be the tail of his backpack....professional student right now.

Lady L

Quote from: Athena on June 12, 2008, 08:19:17 PM
Does anyone know where I can find vintage fabrics or fabrics with vintage prints? I'm interested in making clothing in 1930s and 40s styles and I'm not getting that feel from the inventory at the fabric stores I usually frequent.

I have seen many of those prints at quilting stores. Try www.equilter.com
They have cotton prints.
Or were you thinking of a different type of vintage fabric?
Former Shop Owner at MNRF