News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

- Mundane Sewing Discussion -

Started by willin, May 30, 2008, 06:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elennare

Hmmm...I don't know much about children's patterns, but could you maybe buy the same pattern in multiple sizes and piece together the parts you need from each to get the right size? 

If the waist is too big, but the hips/groin fit, you can add some darts to the waist to take in the extra.

As for the length, if the pants legs are straight, you can always cut the pattern and add in the extra length you need.  If they're not straight, you might need to do that in a couple of places, and be sure to adjust as necessary to keep the shape.  Or, find some sort of trim or something that he likes and just add it to the bottom of the pants?  I've seen that on girls pants, not sure if it would work for boys or not...
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Stasiakatt

I hadn't thought about getting the toddler and then the bigger kid sizes of the same pattern and seeing if I could figure out how to make it work. I'll have to look at that next time I get to the fabric store...Thanks!

LadyStitch

There is an alteration that shows how to increase the "rise" measuremnt.  This would allow him to wear the toddler waist size and not feel like is he being cut in half because of the rise.  You could also increase the length on the pants legs.  There 'should' be an alteration point on the pattern to allow for the increase. 

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?t=11160
This is a link to a tip on how to increase the rise on hot pants.  I think the principal.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Stasiakatt

Thanks for the link about increasing the rise...I wasn't sure what to even look for when trying to search for info. Hopefully I get something figured out since he always looks like he's about to lose his pants.
Ann

LadyStitch

When in doubt, post on that site.  Those ladies are amazing on there. 

It's one of those things of I  know how to do what you want to do, but not sure how to describe it. :)

LadyStitch

Yay... It's been moved to where it belongs. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have been busy in between Alterations doing my Christmas gift sewing.

I made a set of reversable quilted Placemats and table runner for my friend/neighbor, 3 Men's shirts for my Brother, Son, and friend, along with crocheting doilies for my sister in California. I have 2 pairs of Jammie Bottoms cut out for my Granddaughter. After those are finished, I have some fabric for Jammie Bottoms for my son-in-law.

I enjoy sewing Christmas gifts. Seeing the joy in the eyes of the receiver is plenty gift for me.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyStitch

I wanted to tell everyone about a pattern both to warn and to say it is fun to do.  The pattern I'm talking about is Vogue 2401. It is a vintage designer 1955 reprint.  I can honestly say this is the HARDEST pattern I have ever done, putting some of my elizabethan bodices to shame.  It is fabric oragami!  I can typically do a dress bodice in 1-2 hours, if that long.  This took me at least 4-6 hours to do.   
Vogue marks it as adverage, but I will say this is a drive you to drink pattern if you are not careful.  Does it come out looking great, heck yeah!  ;D  But making it, ::shakes head::  it will test your skills to say the least.  If you are an expert seamstress, I would say try it, you will get a challange out of.  If you are a begining sewer, or even intermediate.  Don't try it unless alot of alcohol, and crying is involved. 
I will post pictures this weekend of how it looks on my actress. 

gem

Ok, we're still waiting for those pictures, Lady S!!

I am wanting to make a Christmas tree skirt. Our current skirt is simply a circle I cut from pre-quilted red fabric, thinking someday I would add a border and finish it. I never did, but now I have a new (bigger) tree, new fabric, and am looking for guidance. A couple of years ago, Milord gave me this fabric:

It's synthetic velvet with gold painted scrolls (they're dimensional, like puff paint or something) I have one yard of it, and it's only 45" wide--not *quite* wide enough for a tree skirt by itself, so I'm going to have to add a border of something. I'd like it to be pretty basic, sort of like these:
http://www.howdididoit.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ts7.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ezJq9TJGJv8/R1QYBhvzo4I/AAAAAAAACig/JzeRMD5hkao/s1600-R/img62m.jpg

...But I've also given thought to a ruched edge, or an edging of fluffy white Santa suit trim. Haven't found any fabric I love yet, though.

Ideas, links, enabling appreciated!!

LadyStitch

Right now I'm in morning over that first dress.  The first dress I had looking really nice and hand to hand it over to our distressing person, yes you heard that right I had to let them take my beautiful dress and rip it to  shreds. They need it to look like she ran through the much and the swamp while wearing it.  Not to mention busting out of it into the great she werewolf.
They wanted to know if I would do it, and I just couldn't do it.  The actress who was wearing it at the time said I looked like some one had kicked my puppy AND cancled Christmas. My baby was going to get ripped to pieces.

HOWEVER, I have to make the second one.  I am working on that one tonight. Lord willing I'll have it done by tomorrow night. Since I already made it once I know what to expect.
This is just the bodice to the first dress. The ties in the front are the wrap front part.  It is Dorman sleeved, and the collar section is actually part of the front piece.

LadyStitch

Had to pull a "Hail Mary" out of the stash last night.  The PP had sold one of my Santa's hat to a friend of his, only it had to be in black velvet.  Turns out I had black Velvet, and left over white fur from the PP's.  1 hour of work and it was done. Payment was a $25 gift card to Outback so I am not going to complain too loudly.

Gem had asked to see pictures of the hats in the other area, I only have a back shot of the PP's. Oh and the furry suits that some of my actors are wearing for the show.  BTW the blond suit girl, has requested I make her the same pattern in flannel, and add feeties onto it.  She likes how furry and snugly it is.

gem

Lady S, I'm finding I have a strange attraction to nontraditional Santa hat colors! I saw a fellow at a Christmas concert last year in one that was IIRC black and red, and it looked really sharp!

And thanks to you, I've finished my tree skirt!! Milord gave me the velvet two or three years ago, hoping I could use it for garb. I think he'll find this a worthy alternative:

I just love how the Santa trim looks with the velvet (it's *so* Milord and me!), and I'm stoked because this was my first time doing three things:
1.) Sewing velvet
2.) Sewing faux fur (I dove right in and sewed them to each other! LOL)
3.) Using my walking foot (I've had that foot for two years and didn't even realize it came in a set with two other specialty quilting feet and seam guides!)

LadyStitch

I had to go into Joann's this past weekend to pick up some last minute stuff for the show.  #1 the PP had to nearly forceable drag me away from the $2 patterns,  and #2 I had to drag him away from the nice vlevets.  He is determined to have not only his new Sir Roland garb next year, but he wants the vintage Santa coat in velvet.  Am I glutton for punishment, or what?

I think the christmas tree skirt is lovely.  Do do realize that now that the PP has seen yours he is now asking for one himself.  ::)

Funny enough one of my first big projects was working with velvet.  I love making stuff with it.  My only problem was doing layout, I found with it until I realized something. Instead of positioning it with the fuzz together, why don't you just do it with shiney side together.  That way they don't stick together.  After HOW many years did this finally occur to me??? ??????
I learned how to work with faux fur making teddy bears.  I have to say that is something that drives me nuts about the hats.  The pattern calls for them to be zigged zagged on, but it is a 'witch' getting it go through right.  Never thought about pulling it out my walking foot.  I used it the other day when sewing tulle onto my massive petticoat. Helping me manuver 6 layers of ruffles it was a god send.
The PP didn't understand why I would needed it until he saw hat it can do.  He has yet to put up too much of fight when I ask for a specialty foot ever since.

Auryn

gem- love the tree skirt
I have that exact same fabric in dark blue with silver designs.
I love it so much I have been delaying making something with it, but after seeing yours I think it would look beautiful as a skirt- funny enough I always thought that fabric should be trimmed with white fur too- originally I was going to make a winter cloak out of it.

Love the Santa Hats ladystitch- no wonder they are so popular
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

LadyStitch

Auryn:  I'm glad you like them.  ;D  Simple as they may be, sometimes the simple things are what make people happy.