News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Scotch Tasting

Started by Rune, May 30, 2008, 08:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toarmod

DeadBishop

Hey, I might actually be able to make it to this one after missing several months.... :P

R/F.com member since 2003

Rune

I am not sure if I am going to be able to make it...
Recommended by 4 out of 5

SleepyArcher

This doesnt have to do with Merlins but maybe you guys/gals can help me out. I have been trying and trying to like the stuff. I just cant keep up you guys. So this off season I thought I would start to immerse myself in the stuff. So what is a good scotch to start out with? Not too expensive.

Toar: when can we go pipe shopping, I should have a good pipe if I'm going to start drinking scotch rite lol. What are some good brands so I can start looking on line.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

DeadBishop

Quote from: Lord Fondlebottom on October 01, 2008, 11:49:12 PM
This doesnt have to do with Merlins but maybe you guys/gals can help me out. I have been trying and trying to like the stuff. I just cant keep up you guys. So this off season I thought I would start to immerse myself in the stuff. So what is a good scotch to start out with? Not too expensive.

Toar: when can we go pipe shopping, I should have a good pipe if I'm going to start drinking scotch rite lol. What are some good brands so I can start looking on line.

The problem I see here is you want to try to like something you don't really enjoy at this point, but want to start with the cheap stuff.  This is why I didn't drink beer for the first 8 years I was legally able to; all I tried was the "cheap" stuff.  Found out the reason I didn't like it was just that...it was cheap.  There are plenty of beers I like now...they're just a little more expensive.  Same goes for wine, tequila, scotch, rum, etc.  You need to try some higher quality before going for the cheap stuff. In, fact, if you've tried anything we've passed around, you have tried the good stuff already.  And there isn't much better of a way to try something than to attend something like a scotch tasting, or for even that matter, just try something at the bar.  Don't go buying whole bottles expecting to like it just because someone else does.  I learned that lesson the hard way.  Bought a fairly expensive bottle of wine because someone raved about it, only to find out I hated it.  Scotch has so much variety and so many nuances there's no way to know if you'll like something just based on someone's opinion.  It will be something you acquire over time to the point that you can distinguish the differences between different scotch varieties and understand what it is you like and don't like. 

I think there are enough of us here that you could get quite a good sampling of different scotch whiskys without having to invest yourself.  Just because we like it, doesn't mean you have to too.

Or, I could just tell you to buy lots of stuff, hoping you'll hate it all and give it to me... ;D

SleepyArcher

Well has anyone ever thought of having traveling tastings at different peoples homes and everyone brings a bottle to try? Bring a Wii or some other games or something and make a night of it. I dont know but sounds fun for me, I would pick up a bottle of something suggested to bring.

I have given you alcohol, a new bottle of Tequila. Cant say how good it is, but I dont drink the stuff.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Rune

DB is absolutely right...Attend a scotch tasting with us and try a few drams...Fiona (the whiskey wench at Merlin's) will give you a  very good idea about what exactly you should be looking for in a scotch and what you are tasting with specific scotchs they have to sample.  from there you can decide if you are interested in the scotchs that have a more peaty finish or if you are like me and prefer a heathery finish.  then its just a matter of finding a bartender that knows enough about what he has available behind the bar and have them recommend a very nice scotch with your preferred finish.  If you do find one that you truly like, make note of the region it comes from (Speyside, Highland, Lowland, Islay) and chances are there are more from that area you will enjoy...AND...it looks like I will be at tonights event---yea!
Recommended by 4 out of 5

Synnovea

I agree Sleepy - you should attend a tasting.  Even if you don't partake in the tasting, it is fun to hang out.  I have been to several, just as a tagalong.  What I have learned is that I never knew scotch was so much like wine...what region it came from, what barrels they used, how old were the barrels, what ingredients were used to make a particular batch, etc. ...you get the picture.  And Fiona knows it all - for each sampling she gives a little history of it - the region, distillery, if it is is peaty or heathery, whether you should add water to it or not and basically goes through a lot of the wine tasting rituals...swirl it around the glass, take in its nose, etc.  Makes me want to like scotch just being there (now, if it just didn't taste like alcohol)  ;) :D  Oh, and did anyone mention her amazing short skirt shortbread? :o

I think you would really enjoy attending one.  Hmmm, I wonder when the next one is and if you could catch a ride with anyone... ::) ::) ::)

Muffin

Yes Sleepy come to a Scoth tasting with us.. I love going, and I don't drink scotch.. I've tried it and all I can say is...... Bleh...  :P  :-X

It is definitely a good time, and would be a great way for you to try several different types of scotch and see if there is one out there that you like...  :)
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Synnovea

Are you and Bacardi going tonight?

Muffin

No, We can't make it tonight...  :'(

But we are planning to go to Merlin's next Wednesday!!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

DeadBishop

Quote from: Synnovea on October 02, 2008, 10:04:44 AM

(now, if it just didn't taste like alcohol)

As Nyte would say....."SMELLS LIKE BOOZE!"

Storm

Sleepy...er, I mean Lord Fondlebottom!...

I really have to echo what the others have said. Especially, what DB said about trying the cheap stuff. I once had a friend that told me when it came to hard liquor you get what you pay for. The high end/better quality stuff not only tastes better, but it also doesn't leave you with the nasty hang overs either!

Along those lines, the most popular and/or well known labels aren't necessarily all that great either. For Example, Jack Daniels really isn't good whiskey, Jim Beam not good bourbon, Phillips not good vodka, Jose Cuervo gold not good tequilla, Bacardi not good rum, Cutty Sark not good scotch, etc. Granted, none of the stuff I mentioned isn't exactly swill either. It's all "ok" stuff, but definitely not the good stuff either! They're not good examples of premium spirits at their finest.

Scotch is about the trickiest liquor I have found. There are so many nuances when it comes to scotch that it isn't funny. For me scotch was definitely an acquired taste. Took me a while to get use to that characteristic peat taste that is common with scotch. I have tried several but the one you will find in my house is Glenmorangie 18 year old. For me scotch is a special occasion, sipping drink that I really need to be in the mood for. Something to be enjoyed slowly. I tend to like it on cool fall or cold winter evenings.

winterland

I was looking at the thread and couldn't find where this is being held? Thanks

DeadBishop

Quote from: winterland on October 02, 2008, 05:18:24 PM
I was looking at the thread and couldn't find where this is being held? Thanks

The scotch tasting we refer to happens every 1st Thursday of the month at Merlin's Rest