News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Scotch Tasting

Started by Rune, May 30, 2008, 08:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toarmod

Here we go again! This time the list was published a lil early because Fiona is taking a trip to Wiskeyfest in Chicago.

QuoteThursday April 2nd - Merlins Rest
7:30pm start.
Scots Wha Spey!

• McClellands 16yr Highland
Strength: 40%
Appearance: Gold, uniform gold
Nose: Very subtle, a very slight hint of heather and candy floss
Palate: Thick and oily, a little caramel and some bark-like aromatics. Perhaps a little dark chocolate
Body: Full
Finish: A little underwhelming but still there

• Glen Garioch 8yr Highland
Appearance: Golden, Light-side
Nose: Very sweet, honey, sugar, meal
Palate: Creamy and reminds me of fragrant greenery. Smoky, with a little edge of green. Some peat plus a fizzy tongue. To quote Michael Jackson: "cake-like"
Body: Full
Finish: Mostly warmth in your mouth

• Dailuaine 16yr Speyside (pronounced Dal-yoo-an)
Strength: 43%
Appearance: Amber
Nose: Very subtle, a little pine. Some notes a little bit like tobacco, a bit sweeter like chewing tobacco. Some licorice and tar. Some clove-like hints, perhaps a little cinnamon
Palate: Distinctive, fruit on the apple peel end, a little acidic (in a good way), earthy
Body: On the lighter side
Finish: Hot tongue and deep belly warmth

• Cragganmore 12yr Speyside
Appearance: Light, shimmery, like hay
Nose: Fruity, tangerine, cloves, lemon zest
Palate: light in mouth, satisfying sweet big tast, apricots, walnuts, creamy
Body: Medium
Finish: Warm chest....

The selection fer this one is an improvement over the last one IMHO :)

Sorcha

Rune

Wait...did you say Whiskey Fest?!?!?
Recommended by 4 out of 5

Rune

>tap-tap-tap< Hello?? is this thing on?? *ahem*  The rumors about my death have been greatly exaggerated...not the death part, the part that there was a rumor about it.. ;D

SO - since i haven't posted in...lets just round up to forever, I thought the very evening of May's Scotch tasting would be appropriate...For those of you reading this thinking "it's a little late for this Scotch tasting" My answer to you is, the only time it's too late, is if its all gone when you get there. (starts at 7:30 btw)

FYI - Do to a number of work related incidents, Sorcha and I WILL be there tonight...if you can make it, here is what you can expect (straight from the wench's blog)

#1 Clynelish 14yr – Northern Highlands
Strength: 46%
Appearance: golden, uniform
Nose: fresh green apples, a little smoke, hint of peat
Palate: delightfully chewy, honeyed, fizzy end of tongue, perfume-like with pepper towards the end
Body: medium/full
Finish: full body rub (Christian Bale...where are you?)

#2 Dewar's Aberfeldy 12yr – Eastern Highlands
Appearance: uniform, gold, yellow tints
Nose: a little grassy, unripened melon, dandelion, heather, candied pineapple with just a hint of vanilla.
Palate: peppery, honey, a wee bit of spice, some oak creeping in and a malty taste
Body: medium
Finish: understated, delicious peaty taste left over, dry some citrus notes

#3 Teaninich 10yr – Northern Highland
Strength: [I'm so excited I've never tried it before!]
Appearance:?
Nose:?
Palate:?
Body:?
Finish:?

#4 Glenmorangie Astar – Northern Highlands
Strength: 57.1%
Appearance: light gold, shimmering
Nose: incredibly rich, reminding me of toffee, crème-brulée perhaps even a really beautifully cooked bread pudding with a little pouring creame, almonds also come through with quite a bit of chocolate. When water is added it becomes a little more tempered and the flavors intermingle edging more towards to the creaminess that I mentioned.
Palate: I really find that the wood comes through strongly, however there are some many flavors to sink my teeth into it doesn't subtract from the experience, reminds me of Easter chocolate Brazils that I used to steal from my Step dad when he wasn't looking, some rich dried or poached fruit flavors with a bit of sweet fudge (not Brownie, UK fudge) and some fresh mint
Body: full
Finish: long and a little spicey...lovely!

Recommended by 4 out of 5

DeadBishop

*sigh*

Count me out.  No time, and more importantly, no money for outings revolving around tasty beverages.... :-\

R/F.com member since 2003