News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Darkon

Started by Charlotte Rowan, May 30, 2008, 08:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte Rowan

This morning while I was getting ready for work, my boyfriend who had just come off night shift was watching a fascinating documentary on IFC: http://www.darkonthemovie.com/

It was about a group of people in the Baltimore area who get reenact these HUGE medieval battles. This is the group's website.
http://www.darkon.org/

I was surprised that, being a member of this community, I'd never heard of Darkon before. But I hadn't, and now I'm curious!

Does anyone know of or belong to this group, or to a similar one?
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

analise

I think this got brought up back on the old forum (or at least, I remember somebody in the Renn community directing me to these guys).

I don't know anybody in it, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them show up to MDRF a few times. :)

theChuck

Huh, I've not heard of it either. The Wiki article has more on it, and links to some other groups such as Dagorhir.

I just tossed the film on my Netflix queue... that should be an interesting watch.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

BLAKDUKE

Dagohir, I have heard of.  When doing the TNrf some years ago, there was a guy who worked for the local Nashville newspaper and was a member of this group,  they were similar to SCA in someways.  Their weapons were made of foam instead of ratten, but tey would make up their own characters etc.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Magister

Sounds almost Amtgard-ish?

Interesting video... and I think you're right.. I remember seeing this video off a link on the old board.

Would be interesting to check out...
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

Ruindae Wolfcaller

I'm a part of a local ( Tn) Group of Dagorhir fighters. It is honestly a bit like Amtgard, but amtgard employs magic and are more of a tap fighting group. Dagorhir is a bit more hands on, and harder hitting than amtgard and relies more upon the skill of the person rather than on what their character's stats might be. If you want information, honestly, go to www.dagorhir.com.  Darkon I'm not so sure on, but I'm sure that someone must.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

One of the first LARPing groups that harkons it's roots in Fantasy is the IFGS (International Fantasy Gaming Society) It was a group od D&D players that had some of its founders in the SCA. While the IFGS is fantasy based it is a non-profit orginization that has sactioning commities that makes it like a movie production. There are huge scrips that member write which detail the game and "Non-Player Characters.

Whill they fight with foam weapons, they do this for safety and have a rule book and saftey officers to insure the game is safe and no one gets hurt (they still do but not bad)

Hitting in the head throat and groan is forbidden as even a foam weapon (Has a core of bamboo or fiberglass) can hurt if it in those areas.

You can check them out and all of their chapters at www.ifgs.org I used to be a part of these many long years ago. It is still going strong and I have friends that still partake i it.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Dan

A few of the shop workers at MDRF are darkon.  Oh and the Dragon inn swarms with the likes of them watch your self around them.

remission

Its a LARP group, kind of like SCA but more fantasy based with wizards and such also. They are less strict on the rules the SCA.
You get to make your own Armor and weapons out of foam, PVC, ect ect.

Theres a guy  there who made Dragons scale armor out of old light switch covers put together that looks great.

They do practice fights down by my house every so often and hang out at the Dragons Inn at the MDRF a lot. I know a few people who fight there but only have attended one fight. I never seem to have the time or chance to join up. Although it looks really cool.  I need to learn some sword play from someone so I can try it out heh.