News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kiddie Garb

Started by texanromaniac, April 07, 2010, 07:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texanromaniac

So my little munchkin is not-quite-nine-months and he will probably just wear some cute clothes for his first time at faire (Scarby for one day of RenDezvous), as we aren't getting to faire much this year (just Scarby for a day, Middlefaire for a day, and TRF for a child-free weekend).

HOWEVER, next year we are planning on season tickets for Scarby and will probably go for a weekend at Four Winds and at least a couple times to Middlefaire...besides once again a child-free TRF weekend. At that time he will be close to two years old and I think it would be so cute to have him in garb as well. I am planning on getting him a cute tee that I've had my eye on for a while as his backup clothes should his garb get too soiled that says "mundane" on it!!

What sort of garb should I put him in to fit the period (particularly of Scarby and King Henry VIII) that would be like what children at that time actually wore? If I WAS to put him in something this year, were the styles different for babies versus toddlers?

Ambrosine

head over to the children's garb thread in the garbing area...we have been posting pictures of some items. I've just started to make garb for children since I have a soon to be three year old boy myself. No one seems to sell garb for boys under 5 or 6 and if they do its very hard to find. so you will need to find one of us who can make it for you or make it yourself. My son has been going in garb since he was born but I have had to make everything for him. I am just starting to create a line specifically for infants and toddlers so I am not all set up yet, I've only been doing special requests at this point.

As far as what you would want to put him in you need to keep it very simple at first, think pantaloons and poet shirts/tunics for now. specifically because of diaper changes. You do not want to fuss with anything elaborate. later add on vests or doublets. Even my son now is in just that but I have added boots,belts and a sword for him. If you really want to be H/A he actually would be wearing more of a dress/skirt until about age 7/8 when they actually would "breech" the boys. In those days they would do this because of the growth spurts, breeching was actually a ceremony showing the start of manhood. I will say I have yet to see some one do this to their little boys to keep theirselves H/A! I think my son would flip if I tried to make him wear a skirt  ;)

just a suggestion if you have them, my sons first tunic was worn over a solid color pajama pant since they were so comfy for him and we already had them. Just those simple gerber pajama pants with the elastic bands at the bottom. I'm in florida so I'm not sure how hot it is were you ill be taking him I've heard scarby can get hot..KEEP IT COOL and LIGHT in natural fabrics.
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

LadyFae

I have girls so we just go the fairy route BUT I did see the CUTEST little boy last year dressed as a faun!  =)  I'm guessing that he had a TON of sunscreen on his upper half but he had the cutest hairy legs and tail- and he had HOOVES!  =D  Other than that I tend to see little boys in tiny rouge or pirate ensembles.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Hoowil

What I did for Tristan was to make a simple chemise, and stitch the pleats into a yard of plaid flannel, to wrap as a great kilt. The chemise I used a pattern from his sister's smaller days, making it all big enough for him to probably grow into over the next year, maybe even two. The entire thing took maybe a day to make (including time spent keeping tiny fingers out of the pin cushion and sewing machine), and cost at most $10. If its a cool time/setting the chemise can be a light flannel and tucked around feet and legs. If its going to be warm, a light muslin or gauze can help keep the sun off.
The kilt:

All together (with my lovely wife holding him):

H/A speaking, as mentioned, boys (& girls) were usually in simple skirts/smocks, something simple to make, simple to repair, and with room to grow in. If wealthy, they would be dressed as miniture adults.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.