News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Define for us what a moderators job is.

Started by Rage, May 30, 2008, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rage

DB & John,

I am not going to go into why I am asking this question because DB already knows.

Here is the question. What is a moderators job? I would like to know what guidelines they are governed by, if I was out of line then I apologize.... no really I can't apologize because even if this fits within the a moderators responsibility I believe it was poorly handled.

I may have handled it poorly myself and I am will to take what ever punishment you and John feel is appropriate.

Lord Figaro

Your just headin the right way for a smack bottom yah know.  (just trying to keep it light)
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Rage

Yep and I am already getting it. I take my lumps.

Cobaltblu

I am not DB or John but I would say a moderator's job is to moderate their specific forum area so that the specified rules of the forum area and rules of the RF site itself are respected.  And of course they are required to respect those same rules themselves.  And of course they have to enforce those rules in an unbiased manner.

And of course there is a marked difference between a moderator and an administrator.  I see a moderator as a forum member whom the administrators have deemed are longer users of the site and have shown themselves to consistently be respectful of the site's purpose and rules.

I would say an administrator can make their own rules and a moderator has to follow and enforce the rules in place.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Rage

Thank you CB,

So honestly I should not have posted this thread. If John, DB, or any other Mod want to delete this one please do so. Yes I was still irritated about the other issue when I posted this one.

Amras Elfwine

Hail, Rage...I'm Amras, one of the Mods for this site...one of the first Mods, actually.
I'll be happy to speak up (as usual)...

You asked two questions: "What is a moderators job? I would like to know what guidelines they are governed by..."

1. We moderators have a job which is both simple and difficult...simple in that we make sure that, in our specific forums, the guidelines that we have all agreed to adhere to are followed; difficult in that there are always folks here who, for some warped reason, delight in trying to press out the edge of the envelope on what they can get away with. Beats me why someone would want to waste precious time hanging around somewhere just to whine and moan all the time. But, occasionally, they do.

2. Guidlines - The Forum guidleines are posted, labeled and very easy to read. We all had to agree to follow them when we signed on here.

Hope this cleared up any questions you had.

I, for one, and just happy to be here!

The Spirit of Ren!
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Scotsman

Amras for President!

... This ad paid for and approved by Scotsman (forum Mod)
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?