News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

GARF second weekend roll call?

Started by Lady Catherine, April 13, 2010, 06:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BamaWoodsman

I wasn't able to make it out today, but how was it?  The rain wasn't to bad here in Carrollton, but did it hit the faire hard?

Lady Alice of Mecklenburg

it was actually a lot easier (attending in garb) in rain than I had expected.   This was because of several things...

1.  there was a good turn out at the beginning of the day but as the weather rolled in, some of those people left.   There were still a good bit with umbrellas wondering around shops and shows. 
2.  The shows were quite improv'd for various reasons which was fun.
3.  hiding in the Peacock Tea Room when the weather was insane was an easy way to do it.   I was walking by the Pub up front at the time of the kilt contest and it was packed also.  Excellent time for shopping and talking.
4.  our notes for next time: bring plastic bags for shoes and dirty/wet clothes, a towel or two, a cloak for guys, and absolutely a change of clothes.  We both wore heavy water proofed hiking shoes (in anticipation of mud), and left our garb shoes at home.   A golfing umbrella is indispensable unless you're cast.   Bring light (cotton) skirts as mine was seriously soaked as high as my knee.  Imagine that my good (heavy) fabric dresses would weigh a thousand pounds if wet.

The rain was fairly even and not torrential so it turned out to be a fun day.

I'll probably get a large silk parisol and water proof/paint it and use that as an umbrella next time.  It'll look more period than a huge blue and white "Hertz Car Sales" golf umbrella.  heh. 

The scottish bagpipes were amazing at opening.  That was worth the rain.

Bottom line: thumbs up - I'll be modifing my wardrobe to encorp a rain friendly set of clothes - we will attend in the future if the weather is cranky again.
Just a regular renaissance gal...

BamaWoodsman

Sounds like a fun day.  Definitely gotta love Tartanic,  I've been listening to their CDs nonstop. 

Lady Catherine

nack in tn! it was a great time meeting you, lady alice!  also, scotsquatch!  oh, and fairieimp! we had fun, but the 60+ pounds of wet brocade became a bit much by the end of day. It would have been just fine if it was muddy, we are used to that, but when the rain started in, yuck!

highlight of the day, large, burly beefeater approached us walking in the gate that the queen had requested our presence on the joust dias! that was a ball! i have only been up on ours here at TN as cast, and being som much closer was great!  And the queen is so gracious!

as lady alice said, the smaller crowds allowed for better shopping. the tea room was a lovely place to stop and enjoy shelter.

we were also asked at 4pm if we were there all day, and would we like to come back?they gave us complimentary tickets!

downside, my self-dyed burgundy forepart bled onto my cream more' guard and gimp braid, daggum! i was going to wear it next weekend for our opening weekend!

2008-2009 cast TNRF
Fishers, GARF, TNRF, ALARF, Fishers, KYHRF and BRISTOL
Coming 2011- Bella the Troll at TNRF!

Lady Alice of Mecklenburg

Maybe if you soak it - it'll come out?
Thats too bad - your dress was so exquisite.  It's too bad it rained on your day down - and weren't able to partake in the court dancing etc. 

That was really cool that they offered tickets!  What a deal!
Just a regular renaissance gal...