News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Proposal ideas...?

Started by ladylissame, April 13, 2010, 09:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylissame

Does anyone have any ideas or stories about marriage proposals that are to take place, or have taken place at faire?

Trying to gather ideas for a good friend of mine :)

renfairephotog

Get help from a show. I've seen proposal from the joust field, chess board ans stages. Last year a friend of the dancers wanted to propose.  The troupe has an audience participatiion  segment. So they pull the two out of the crowd, danced a bit and then said the guy had something to say. and he proposed.
You just have to work it out with the show ahead of time.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

crazyrennie

I agree with renfair photog-
When I proposed to my beloved,I worked out a bit with two of the stage acts.

A minor piece of advice-have someone filming it.
I did and am very grateful.

Professor M

Allow me to echo the sentiment.  I've seen proposals during stage acts, where the musicians on stage knew it was coming and ended the show with a romantic song, and cued the husband-to-be to come up on stage and have his say.  I've also seen it during joust.

The best was during "royal court."  Again, the man set it up in advance with the royals.  The queen brought him on stage for another reason, teased him a bit, then asked if he was betrothed.  When he said he was not, but his girlfriend was sitting in the audience, she insisted that the girl approach, and that he should get down on one knee and ask her to marry him.  She took it all as a big joke the first time around, then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring box.  She totally melted at the sight of it, and there was much cheering.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Celtic Lady

Quote from: Professor M on May 22, 2010, 03:54:41 PM
Allow me to echo the sentiment.  I've seen proposals during stage acts, where the musicians on stage knew it was coming and ended the show with a romantic song, and cued the husband-to-be to come up on stage and have his say.  I've also seen it during joust.

The best was during "royal court."  Again, the man set it up in advance with the royals.  The queen brought him on stage for another reason, teased him a bit, then asked if he was betrothed.  When he said he was not, but his girlfriend was sitting in the audience, she insisted that the girl approach, and that he should get down on one knee and ask her to marry him.  She took it all as a big joke the first time around, then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring box.  She totally melted at the sight of it, and there was much cheering.
I have to concur with the others. Those are and will be the most memorable. For even better memories have someone video tape it.. as if they were taping the show.

Professor M, I love that story. They have a very special memory forever. Thanks for sharing it.

ladylissame

Well, he proposed Sunday at faire and she said yes  ;D

Professor M

Quote from: ladylissame on June 08, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

What a TEASE you are!  You ask us for stories, and all you offer in return is "he proposed...and she said yes."

Details, dear lady, we need DETAILS!
~ C.S. Lewis

Seleyna Eirian

We were at the Kentucky Highland faire all weekend. I'm actually her best friend and knew it was supposed to happen sometime this weekend, but had no idea when or how he was going to do it (I've been in on this secret for a few months and it like to have killed me not being able to tell her!). The first day of faire was muggy and not everyone was in the best of spirits. It was a slightly difficult day, we had two fairly established groups coming together as a new group and the dynamics were thrown off a bit.. okay, a lot.

But the second day was much better. It was a PERFECT ren faire day. Mid 70s, slightly overcast with the sun playing peekaboo with us all day. They both were a part of the Chess Match, she was a caddy for one of the rat puckers, we sang along with Drunk & Sailor for their shows, and had an impromtu show on the main strip. It had been a perfect day all day.. Most of the couples were starting to split off and wander in their own direction for a bit, to browse a bit of the shops and whatnot, and a few of us were up by the pub, just talking about the days events thus far. Marti and Josh wandered off for a bit, and after about fifteen-twenty minutes, they were coming back across the field, and she had her finger out, pointing at me going, "You were in on this!"

There were lots of hugs, lots of tears, and lots of joy (I couldn't keep myself from busting into tears every time I heard her say, "I'm engaged!" That's what happens when you've been best friends for over ten years!)

She said that she could tell something was up when they walked off, and when they reached the woods, he told her how much he loved her and she meant to him and then (I believe) got down on one knee and proposed. Of course, she said yes :)

They didn't finish their walkabout, she had to "Go choke Lina" first  ;)

She's been radiating light and love since he popped the question <3
wench #3888
loveland castleteer
peacock . gypsy . pirate

ladylissame

Quote from: Professor M on June 10, 2010, 08:24:17 AM
Quote from: ladylissame on June 08, 2010, 10:18:47 PM

What a TEASE you are!  You ask us for stories, and all you offer in return is "he proposed...and she said yes."

Details, dear lady, we need DETAILS!
And in truth it was Seleyna that posted that first post. She used my account in hope that if our friend came across it she would be given enough pause to wonder not know it was her

Professor M

How wonderful!  Thanks for sharing.
~ C.S. Lewis