News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Memorial Day Weekend 2010

Started by Kate, April 21, 2010, 10:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

Thinking of driving up from tampa that weekend... anything exciting going on?  Any planned invasions??
Kate
Pink'n Penny

JonStrickland

I can state that Memorial Day itself is what is known as "Big Bit Day." Which means you may encounter more shenanigans than usual that day.

Ambrosine

Whatcha doin in the Georgia area Kate?? I wanna go the 21st is my bday!
Stitch Witch of the Harbinger

Kate

Quote from: JonStrickland on April 21, 2010, 02:54:53 PM
I can state that Memorial Day itself is what is known as "Big Bit Day." Which means you may encounter more shenanigans than usual that day.

Well, we'd be driving back that Monday.  Unfortunately the real world doesn't wait for us!  :-P

Quote from: Lady Raven on April 21, 2010, 02:58:05 PM
Whatcha doin in the Georgia area Kate?? I wanna go the 21st is my bday!

Since I have the following Monday off, and a friend who's offered a free place to stay, I figured I'd check it out!  Never been to GARF!  Go Memorial Day weekend instead!!  :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Lady Alice of Mecklenburg

I used to attend the Tampa Bay Renfest back about 20 years ago.  (Gees i'm old.)  anyhow - the Georgia is a lot bigger (size/guests) with better cast, shows and food.  My hubby and I will both be in attendance that weekend.

Come on up - you'll have a blast.
Just a regular renaissance gal...

Kate

Quote from: Lady Alice of Mecklenburg on April 25, 2010, 08:43:16 PM
I used to attend the Tampa Bay Renfest back about 20 years ago.  (Gees i'm old.)  anyhow - the Georgia is a lot bigger (size/guests) with better cast, shows and food.  My hubby and I will both be in attendance that weekend.

Come on up - you'll have a blast.

I'm sure BARF has changed a great deal since you last visited 20 years ago...  Bigger isn't always better, and I love our cast dearly. 
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Kate

Room is booked!  Staying at the Wingate 3 miles from faire.  We'll be there Saturday the 29th and Sunday the 30th for faire!  Can't wait and hope to meet some of you there... just look for the gal in pink! :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Kate

The GARF site doesn't give much info on the storyline... Can someone tell me about your cast?  Things to see?  Must dos?
Kate
Pink'n Penny

iain robb

Quote from: Kate on May 04, 2010, 06:43:22 AM
Room is booked!  Staying at the Wingate 3 miles from faire.  We'll be there Saturday the 29th and Sunday the 30th for faire!  Can't wait and hope to meet some of you there... just look for the gal in pink! :)

My wife and I keep meaning to get up to GARF too. Even had a room booked and tickets bought one time, and had to cancel. Hope you have a great time, and maybe if you go back next year we'll join you!

JonStrickland

Quote from: Kate on May 04, 2010, 12:09:34 PM
The GARF site doesn't give much info on the storyline... Can someone tell me about your cast?  Things to see?  Must dos?

The year is 1534 and we're celebrating the 25th anniversary of Henry the Eighth's coronation by holding a recreation of the ceremony. That's about it for the storyline (if you miss the stories and large casts from past festivals, I strongly urge you to write in to the festival and let your thoughts be known).

As for the cast, there are a few memorable folks you might run into. We'll start with the nobs first.

King Henry the Eighth and Queen Anne Boleyn are the reigning sovereigns. Their court consists of several nobles, including Vogue La Mode, French fashion consultant; Amadeo Cantante, court composer; Edmund Vainglory III (me), the Lord Admiral; and Celeste Bredwell, the queen's lady in waiting, among others.

The lower classes include Lionel Lott, the Village Liar; Hobbleton, the court jester; a trio of kissing wenches; the town Sheriff; Rebecca Call, aspiring royal servant; Monet Gruber, the tax collector; and Sir John Bullfrog, town mayor.

We also have three faeries, a gypsy and Aydin Budalla, a diplomat from the Ottoman Empire. Oh, and Leonardo Da Vinci, an artist and inventor of some renown. I'm sure I've forgotten several people in the process.

As for things you must see, it depends on how often you've come to the festival. I'd say Tartanic is a must since they are new to our Faire and are also wonderful performers (and genuinely nice people). Aydin Budalla tells stories and serves up tasty treats from his camel wagon -- you can find him parked in a tent next to the joust (across from the pirate ship). Ask him for a date. The coronation ceremony is interesting -- you get to hear the actual text used in Henry the Eighth's coronation in 1509 (translated from Latin into English). Oh, and Jayna the acrobat has a new aerial show she does near the maypole along with Lionel Lott.

After a full day at the faire, I recommend attending Pub Sing at the Brewer's Pub at the end of the day. Many of the characters show up to sing about themselves -- and each other -- and it's a great place to unwind before the journey home.

Kate

Awesome, thank you! 

I'm excited to visit a faire taking place in a time period a bit different from our own faire.  We have King Henry and Katherine Parr here in Tampa and they're amazing!  Anne Boleyn was the queen who is the most intriguing to me so I'm quite excited!

I noticed that Tartanic won't be there Memorial Day weekend and am a bit bummed about that but understand.

I look forward to visiting your faire!  Look for the crazy pirate in pink! :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

susannah

Kate, I give you a warm welcome to our faire and hope you have a wonderful time on your visit.
My husband and I will be there on Memorial Day...for those of you who will be too. The renfant will be with us as well.
Looking forward to seeing/meeting R/Fers!
Susannah
Wench Raised in the South/ Loki Musketeer

Lady Christina de Pond

well it looks like i will be showing up this year after all. Look for me sunday of memorial day weekend. my parents are going too which should be interesting since they have never been and i have my dad will enjoy it but he won't dress up i am not sure about mom
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Kate

As of right now we're putting this one on hold til next year.  Had some unfortunate events come up that are hindering our finances.
Kate
Pink'n Penny

Vincenzo

Room Booked

Looking forward to an exciting time
Audaces - Fortuna - Voluptas