News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Started by DeadBishop, May 30, 2008, 09:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tremayne

Quote from: Deadbishop on May 30, 2008, 11:29:59 PM
Here's one free online site for resizing;

http://www.picresize.com/

At first I was all excited about this for the cropping aspect but found that when I downloaded back to my computer and then tried to upload to photobucket, it did not acknowledge the crop. It must somehow preserve the original information that photobucket is picking up on--or did I do something wrong?

Is there a best or preferred pixel width/height for these avatars? I've already figured out that a vertical (aka portrait) orientation is best--otherwise you get squished and skinny (as my pic currently is now--the reason I was trying to resize). Can we get some specifics? (That sort of resizing may work fine--haven't tried it yet for lack of specific numbers.)

Thanks, DB!
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

Tremayne

And now, after cropping the image in photoshop to be vertical and reloading to photobucket, we've gained weight  :D

Will come back later to resize to about 250 pixels as an experiment.

[tried the pixel re-sizing and it hasn't affected our proportions, so advice on how to the avatar look like the original pic would be appreciated  :-*]
I am but mad north-northwest; when the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw. --Shakespeare via Hamlet.

sealion

Thank you so much! :happydance: I get one up tomorrow!

Tremayne- You'll want to crop your photo from a rectangle to a square then resize to 100x100.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Tremayne

Thanks, sealion!  :)  We are now squished neither vertically nor horizontally. For once, it's good to be square  ;D

And now I see the 100 x 100 was in the original instructions  :P

For those using photobucket, they've got wonderful cropping and resizing functions. If you hold your crop for a sec it indicates pixel dimensions.  :) Very helpful feature.

DT_Masters

Hmmmm, directly faire related? That might be kind of hard since I'm always the one behind the camera and never infront of the camera.

But abstractly related? That's possible. I have one of something like a modern wizard in his study. I'll have to dig it up and scan it.

Blushing

~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Queen Bonnie

I did it!  Huzzah! I love having pictures back on!  I miss our banner!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

susannah

Huzzah!! Thanks, Admins!!!
Susannah
Wench Raised in the South/ Loki Musketeer

Var Greyshadow

Yay!  Avatars!  That was a nice surprise for Monday morning.  Thanks!!!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Scotsman

Yup ... like the Avatars .... wish I had a better pic, but this one will do for now!
Kilted Rogue #1411
Irish Penny BDE - Flattn'
Castleteer
Teer for life
RFC #56
Was that my inside voice?

Fairietink

Thank you so much guys for allowing us this!
Vice Madam Local 35 - AZ chapter, Captain Bone Momma - HMS Boner

Lady Ann of Draycott

Yay! Thanks for letting us have our pictures back!  :-*
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Var Greyshadow

This is actually better than pictures in the profiles - we get to see people's faces every time they post!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Amras Elfwine

When you edit pictures at photobucket, you can resize them for avatar type pictures.
Use a closeup head shot, otherwise, the cropping is all kinds of distorted...thought I was back in Weight Watchers week 1 on my first several attempts.

Also, when you resize at photobucket, make sure you save a copy, and use the URL for the copy...otherwise you are just linking to the original photograph, and it wont change at all.

Good luck.
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Anna Iram

That's the step I missed. I croped it but I didn't resize it. Now it's distorted. What is the size I need to resize it to?