News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

OKRF 2010 Season Attendance

Started by Rani Zemirah, April 22, 2010, 12:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Anyone else from the boards here going to make it to the Castle this season?  I plan to make the trip at least once, and hopefully more, during May, although I'm not yet sure of the dates.  I have to see what I can afford after we get back from RenDezvous.  I will have my renlet with me, and most likely a friend or two, and we will all be garbed, although I'm the only one who will have an R/F pin.  We would love to meet anyone from the forums who will be there! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Bonny Pearl

I wish we could make it up there this year but won't be able to.  I went a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed this faire.  ;D

Maybe if we get lucky we can go next year.  ;D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Rani Zemirah

This will actually be my first time getting to go to the Castle!  I've been here in OK for almost 9 years now...  I'm such a slacker.  Tsk, tsk...  Oh well, I'm going this season, and I've actually heard some really good things about this Faire, so I'm looking forward to it!  I wish we had more R/Fer's up here, though!  Well, maybe I can recruit some while I'm there!!!  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Vartha

that sounds worse than me.
  Two hours away has alot to do with it. I'll be there the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd.

Craigmeister

I had not planned to attend this year.  However, last weekend, I met Ezra & Dilly at the Spirit of Magic Faire.  They told me that they will be performing at the castle.  They are the main attraction for me now in Muskogee.  They helped breathe life into the rainy faire last weekend.  They play great music & have lots of passion.  I believe that they will be performing inside the castle.  If you get a chance, they are well worth experiencing.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Merlin the Elder

This faire is reasonably close to us, but their website totally blows... little or no good information.  Anyone handy that can give me some decent information about it??
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

I know... the site was supposed to be totally revamped, or so I have heard, but so far the little that's there is all they've put up since they took the old site down, and it's bare minimum at best.  Even on the facebook friend/fan site I haven't been able to get any info about the campgrounds nearest the Faire, the show line-up, vendor list or much of anything, really.  The only thing you can really do on the website is buy tickets, but there is a toll free phone number, so I'm going to give them a call. 

Unfortunately, it looks like I may not get to attend this year, after all.  Several extra expenses this month (tags, insurance and moving deposit) have left me with little to nothing to spend on anything other than survival level necessities, so unless I can get a few people to go in on gas and camping, then it probably won't happen.   I have 5 extra seats in my van, and a luggage rack on top for garb bins, if anyone from the OKC area wants to carpool! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Craigmeister

Ezra & Dilly sure delivered on Saturday!  I had a blast watching them.  They are really good w/ children & other musicians in the crowd.  Siege Work Creations surprised me by being there.  They're the group that made my longbow.  They are located next to the gypsy camp & have VERY good prices on their bows, quivers & arrows.

Other entertainers included:  Tulstin Troubadors, Willy's Wenches, Musical Blades, Bob the Juggler, Mark Logdson - Escapeologist, the Brothers Dimm, Lord Kerridwyn & Scotty Fox, the Lord Mayor's Co., the same wild birds of prey group, a bellydance troupe, a pirate group, a bagpiper & a few other singing groups that are always playing in the Castle pub.

Of course, the trebuchets still weren't being used. :-(
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Rani Zemirah

Hard to take into account a variable like the Oklahoma wind in trajectory calculations...  :-\

Craigmeister, do you have any info about the camping available in the area?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Emerald Shaunassey

I went for my traditional 1-day per season on Sunday, May 9th to support my friends and family that still must or who want to work this festival.  We arrived LATE - around 4pm or so and stayed until well after close chatting with everyone.  Then we went out to supper with family and I got to play with my 10 week old nephew!  It was a sad day - the parking lot was over half empty and we could hear the intercom announcements from the prison in the parking lot well over the sounds of the festival.  I can't believe that attendance was down so much - overcast and misting weather didn't use to make a difference in the attendance.  I wonder what's happened.
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

Lionforgesmithy

We had a large crowd Friday and fairly large Saturday. I think it was a combo of weather and being mothers day on sunday. The weather was great for me as I was standing at the forge most of the day. Camping at the fair is for venders and cast only but I believe there are camping areas at a lake about 30 minutes away.

Rani Zemirah

Oh, my... I was told there were public campgrounds within about 15 minutes of the site, but I'm not sure I would be up for having to drive that far away, and not even be able to find out if there were any other rennies using the campgrounds.  An extra 50-60 mile round trip each day on top of the initial drive might just be the deciding factor... That's adding to the gas expense in a bigger way than I can really justify, and hotel accommodations are out of the budget entirely... 

It would be nice if there were more information readily available.  I'm convinced that attendance would be much higher if people could more easily find out what they want to know! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Cormac

Looking forward to being there either the 22nd or 23rd.  Leaving it up in the air just in case the weather is not nice on the 22nd.

Lionforgesmithy

There probably is camping closer to the castle but I don't know where it is my group camps out on the fair camp ground.

Craigmeister

I don't know anything about camping around the castle other than for performers & vendors.  I've always had less than an hour's drive to Muskogee.  Maybe the local Chamber of Commerce would be able to provide some info...

It seemed that attendance was down last Saturday as well.  The parking lot seemed kinda' full but the thick crowds were not present.  There were 3 festivals going on around Tulsa that day.  Maybe they were pulling people away.