News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

OKRF 2010 Season Attendance

Started by Rani Zemirah, April 22, 2010, 12:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I still haven't seen much info on this faire.  Is it worth a 3.5 hour drive? We love Scarby and it's 5.5 hours from home. I realize that the two faires are going to be different, but would we be disappointed in the quality of the experience at the Castle? (Am I being too picky?)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Vartha

I liked it, and my home faire's Bristol.

Merlin the Elder

It appears that they have posted some additional information on their site (or I missed it every time I went looking!)  It looks alike a nice facility. It's too late for this year, but I'll certainly put it on the list for next year!

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: Lionforgesmithy on May 12, 2010, 09:22:17 PM
We had a large crowd Friday and fairly large Saturday. I think it was a combo of weather and being mothers day on sunday. The weather was great for me as I was standing at the forge most of the day. Camping at the fair is for venders and cast only but I believe there are camping areas at a lake about 30 minutes away.

My last year working this festival, opening weekend was RAINY (as in off and on deluges) and temps in the 40's.  It didn't stop a alot of folks from coming out nor did it keep Mother Superior or I from "puddle jumping" through ever puddle we could find.  It was freezing cold water but also a ton of fun. 

Mother's Day at OKRF used to be jam packed, standing room only at opening gate with crowds that were thick the entire day.  Sadly, as I came in - I only saw 2-3 ladies walking out with the traditional carnations in hand.  And from what a performer told me, the rain had held off the entire faire day.  So I'm still not sure what caused the lack of crowds on Mother's Day.  Unless it is just the lousy economy.

At any rate, I got to see Auld Sage, King Henry, Will Somers, Lady Grace Parker, Lord Vinterhawk, A pirate who looks ALOT like the Lady Deborah Bold and a Cabin Boy who could be Lady Bold's husband's doppleganger!  It was good to see so many of the faces that populated the grounds when I worked this festival; there aren't that many left at this festival these days.
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

Lionforgesmithy

I was just comparing numbers since my group has been doing this fair. This was our 3rd year. We had some days where it was pretty well packed with patrons but more where there were not all that many. I am not sure at this moment if I will work this fair next year or not.

Rani Zemirah

We didn't manage to attend at all this season, but we're hoping for next year, again. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

It was a good time in 2009 and 2010.  Lots of smiles on faces there. 
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Archer

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 11, 2010, 03:59:37 PM
This faire is reasonably close to us, but their website totally blows... little or no good information.  Anyone handy that can give me some decent information about it??

Hey Merlin, this link is up that provides a good taste of Castleton's faire.  Pictures worth a bunch of words.

http://www.okcastle.com/Flickr.html

Merlin the Elder

Most appreciated, Archer. This faire could possibly be done as a (long) day trip from our location near Little Rock. We may try this next season.

Archer

Try to make it two if you can Merlin.   Costume changes from Saturday to Sunday are interesting to see.  Seems like more "men of iron" on Saturdays and the finer nobility garb on Sundays.  Not entirely, but enough to notice.  You can see the structures all in one day but perhaps not all the stage performances, jousting, falconry, crafts and vendor shops.  The dance instructors do a good job if you pick them,  or they pick you.  

Ryk Rakham

We live in Ardmore now and are planning at least one weekend to OKRF in 2011. Looking forward to meeting some new faire folke and making new friends.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Craigmeister

OKRF is not the only Renfaire in the state.  Check out www.meistersrealm.com to see the other faires in and around Oklahoma.  Godspeed to your next faire!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Ryk Rakham

Quote from: Craigmeister on November 18, 2010, 07:25:15 AM
OKRF is not the only Renfaire in the state.  Check out www.meistersrealm.com to see the other faires in and around Oklahoma.  Godspeed to your next faire!

Thanks. Living down in Texas, we have always attended Scaroborough R/F. But, they have steadily been increasing ticket prices (actually in big chunks) and we are looking at attending other Faires instead. We went to Norman for the first time last year, but the weather ended up being terrible. We will try again this year.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Rani Zemirah

Norman was held a week earlier than usual this year, but the reason was never made completely clear.  Some said scheduling conflicts, others said vendor request, but yes, the weather was pretty miserable (although it was perfect cloak weather... :D ).  This year it's supposed to be the first week of April again, so who knows what it will be like.  We'll be there again, I'm sure, since it's our home Faire, but we're also going to try and get to OKRF, as well, and we're hoping to find other R/Fer's who would like to all camp together, just to make the experience a bit more ren community centered.  I haven't really been able to find much info on places other rennies camp around there, although there are campgrounds in the general area, but I'm still asking around. 
\
It would be fun to try and have an R/F invasion, though!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Duke of Remington

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on November 18, 2010, 03:00:23 PM
Norman was held a week earlier than usual this year, but the reason was never made completely clear.  Some said scheduling conflicts, others said vendor request, but yes, the weather was pretty miserable (although it was perfect cloak weather... :D ).  This year it's supposed to be the first week of April again, so who knows what it will be like.

That was the very first RenFest I had ever been to last year. Weather was awful the day I went, but going once hooked me for life. Now some buddies and I are headed to TRF on closing weekend can't wait. And I am from Edmond, so we will be attending the Norman next year as well. We will look for you to say hello.
Your grace will not surrender to thine enemies.