News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A Moldy Issue

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, April 23, 2010, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

Can I ask some advise? The Tents of my re-enactment group have mold and water marks...
What would be the best way to renovate them?

One suggestion was to use vineger, but we are affraid it might damage the waterproffing...

Another group member manages to brush off some of the mold with a wire brush... but I am afraid that this will also damage the material and that the mold will just creep back....

Dinobabe

The waterproofing will always have to be replenished based on use, how often it gets wet, sun exposure, etc. and especially if it has mold on it.  Use Canvak found at Cabelas, RV places, sometimes Home Depot/Lowes, and other places in a can.  Great waterproofer but not fire-retardant.  Brushing works for temp or short term, though I wouldn't use a wire brush.  But treat and repeat is always the best course!

Found this....

What works really well with no need for additional ventilation and is extremely cost efficient is white vinegar. For a very heavy accumulation or stain use it undiluted. For a light stain mix it with equal parts water or any varying mixture depending on the strength of the stain. What works best is spraying it on starting at the top and allowing it to run down the entire surface. Let it set in for a few minutes then mist it one more time and begin wiping the surface down with a dry rag. This works not only on canvas, but tile, furniture, painted surfaces, plastic, or pretty much anything mold or mildew makes it's home, even wet clothes. It is color safe so you never have to worry about it fading anything. The real bonus, especially if you are going to be using it in the immediate future the smell dissipates quickly which is huge.  Put the white vinegar in a misting spray bottle and give all your canvas surfaces a light spray down before you put it away for the season.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

The Doctor Alt 8

Thank you so much for your advice. My leige lord will be so pleased! ;D

Don Quixote

If you have mold on your fabric, I am sorry to say that most likely it may be damaged beyond repair especially if it has been there awhile. You will see it deteriorate with further use most likely. There is a product called Microban that may help and it will inhibit further growth.

The Doctor Alt 8

I fear you are right... we are somehow going to have to replace the affected panels. Even if the group could afford to sent the tents away for proffesional repair, the companies we have apporched have shown great reluctance to accept such items.   

Gwen aka Punstergal

I find it particularly ironic that a reenactment group is distressed over moldy tents... I imagine tents in that time period were probably crawling with uncontrolled fungus-- who wants to see a prettier/cleaner version of history?! I guess I'm just a purist sometimes, hehe.

Now, for real, try the vinegar... set up the tents and spray them down, wait a bit, and spray them down again. Then, use a big rag (or a sponge-mop, which can do a great job for this type of thing) to agitate all the stains, then rinse it down with a water hose. Let dry thoroughly, and then re-waterproof your fabrics!

For future reference, you DO have to replace the waterproofing on camping materials. You can buy the stuff in a spray can, and they generally recommend doing it once a year, for items which are occasionally used (more often for tents you use very often).

Also, try asking your group to save any silica packets that they get in ANYTHING they buy-- those can thrown into the bags/boxes (I prefer tupperware totes) with any fabric gear to help prevent future damage from dampness. They're very handy, free because they come in all sorts of things, and perfectly safe as long as you don't EAT them (I even keep them in my gear tubs, to extend the life of my silks in the Texas humidity).
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

groomporter

Properly cared for canvas tents shouldn't really have to be re-water proofed. I have four tents, my oldest wall tent is 15 years old and my 12 x 18 marquee tent was bought used about the same time, so it is probably approaching 20 years old, and we have never re-water proofed either of them and they are still weather tight. Home-made tents may require more attention especially if they were made with fabric that wasn't treated to retard mildew like Sunforger canvas.

I have occasionally turned cheap canvas drop cloths from a surplus store into shade flies, or cheap pup-tents and have had luck water proofing them with Thompson's Water Seal sprayed on them using a cheap pump-up garden sprayer. Warning, the problem with this is that it probably negates the effect any of the fire retardants put on commercially-made tents.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

dragongirl

I just found this from Panter Primative tents website.  It explains how to clean a canvas tent.  Hope it helps!
http://www.pantherprimitives.com/faq.html
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

The Doctor Alt 8