News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tender foot, literally.

Started by Hoowil, April 25, 2010, 03:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoowil

I've just been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, thankfully only in one foot. Needless to say, its a real pain. I've not had a faire near by since the pain began, and I'm a bit concerned about my boots, and spending so much time on my feet. Does anyone have similar issues, and any suggestions on dealing with this? Right now I have knee length moccasin style soft boots, which I love, but they are soft soled. I could probably set aside money from walk around and garb budgets for the seaon towards some new boots if needed, if anyone can suggest a good source that would allow me to have the support and cushioning I now find myself needing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

gem

Try the Footsmart catalogue for inserts &c. They have an entire plantar fasciitis "shop."

Tammy

A good friend of mine has that. She bought some inserts from Wal-Mart that her doctor recommended, and she wears them in all her shoes. Her faire shoes are very soft soled, and she didn't have a problem last Fall.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Butch

I had that at one time.  Arch supports are your answer.  Get the ones that are formed for the whole foot, not just a piece of foam.  Recommend getting the ones for athletic shoes.

After I was diagnosed with it in the late 80's, I henceforth purchased and wore athletic inserts in my combat boots (I was in the Marines for 30 years, just retired in Feb).

Honestly, the ones you can get from WalMart or CVS will work fine.  Dr Scholls or Sorbithane work fine.  The ones with a molded arch support and a molded heel cup.  I would not recommend spending lots of $ for custom made orthotics (not yet).  Try the stuff you can get locally.  Probably around $10 for a single pair.

Good luck!

Butch

Also, you may wish to glue a thicker sole onto the outside of your boot.  That should stiffen it up quite a bit.  That, coupled with inserts, should be relatively inexpensive (less than $20), and will allow you to not change your garb appearance at all.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I have had plantar fasciitis for a few years.  Unfortunately nothing worked, and I have just been fitted for custom insoles.  You can get by with the ones from Wal Mart which I did for a while until it reached the point that nothing helped.  Definitely get insoles that have an arch, not just gel.

Hope yours heals on its own and soon!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

ArielCallista

I can tell you right now don't get gel inserts...they feel all comfy and like they are a great idea but the material itself starts to break down rather quickly and won't be very comfy in a few weeks...and you will have to buy new ones every 3 months at the least...I'm not overly familiar with your condition, but as a shoe salesperson I can tell you that rubber insoles are definitely the way to go...they are more supportive and last much longer...As for which type to get (arch support, athletics, standard ones or something more special), I would suggest you listen to the advice of your doctor and others with this same problem.
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

shadowcat546

Hope you do find a lasting result for the foot problems.  I second the person who said put _another_ thicker sole onto the bottom of your mocs.  Find a local reputable leather/shoe repair shop.  Go in and explain the problem.  They should be able to help.  One point, if your mocs are form fitting, putting insoles into them will raise them closer to the top of your shoe/moc...thereby making them tighter.  Might be able to break them in with inserts...may have to discuss that with leatherworker.  Good luck.   ...Shannon
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale

gem

Oddly enough, on another board I frequent (not Ren-related), a couple of PF patients are chatting about shoes... and one of the forum members said her doctor recommends shoes "with big chunky heels," because it apparently takes the pressure of the plantar fascia better.

dragongirl

I was just diagnosed with PF in the last 2 months.  I have found that the only shoes I am truly comfortable in are actually my summer garb shoes.  I wear a pair of rope sandals from Nomadic State of Mind called JC with a little sole.  They have built in arch support, heel cups and are extremely comfortable.  You can buy rope sandals much cheaper but I believe that if you don't take care of your feet they won't take care of you.  Here is the link!
http://nomadicstate.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4&zenid=v84a5oa16v1prof3jdn5hqc9u5
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Toki Bloodaxe

From years of standing on ladders with a heavy tool belt on, I too have PF. But, I have found that wearing boots with high arches and a strong steel shank support my feet quite well. I no longer have the pain that I used to...and it was quite excrusciating!. At fair, I wear my CAboots Cavalier boots with the 2 inch riding heel with medium weight socks. I am fine all day long walking up and down the hills at Colorado RF. The high arches in the boots support my feet quite well. For some added support, a person might try Hiking Boot inserts from Merrel Boots. They add a high arch with great support but little actual padding for the rest of your foot. I have used these before when Backpacking and they are great. Good luck.