News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The mundane work-a-day world...

Started by VIII, April 27, 2010, 10:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VIII

... has done it to me again.  This is my 24th year of working Scarborough Faire, and I have lost yet another job because of my weekend affinity for Faire.

Have any of you ever had their boss say, "You need to decide if you work here or there"?
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

My Boss knows better.  But then again, I have 30 years seniority at our firm, and am the go to guy for technical stuff.  My sons, now, they have issues all the time, but they are working college student type jobs. And they tell the bosses right away that we do 12 weekends a year min, that the gigs pay what they make in a month at
Mickey Ds and such.  At least they are upfront about it from the git go.

Sorry to hear that the jobs are not understanding that a happy employee is a productive employee, and that Faire makes you happy!
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Fugli

Quote from: VIII on April 27, 2010, 10:43:56 AM
Have any of you ever had their boss say, "You need to decide if you work here or there"?

Where's yer day job? ... so we can boycott. Yer probably too good fer 'em anyway.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Ronald the Bald

Bummer. Never had a problem like that. Bad time to be out of a job.

What can we do to help?

joan of arc

I used to work for one PD that constantly took away my Sundays, getting me to work mandatory overtime or special events. Refusal = termination. I don't work there anymore. Any argument that you need time to rest, live your life or have some family time did not matter. I missed a couple years of faire.

It seems that employers more and more invade private lives of the people that work for them, making demands for the time they deserve to be off. People have hobbies, week-end jobs, spouses at last... but it matters little or so it seems.

Honestly, it seems like your former employer is an idiot and had no idea who they had. So, yeah, they don't deserve you. Now -keeping fingers crossed for you to find a place you like and a place where people respect your time.

If you need any help - I will keep my Ferengi ears open for opportunities.
There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me...

GirlChris

I haven't had a boss say that, but I've made that decision for myself. I had a job that was making it impossible for me to go to any sort of rehearsals or auditions for anything. I made the decision that Theatre and the arts is where I want to be spending my life, not Bankruptcy.

My only employment right now is theatre work. I'm sure as hell not raking in the dough, but I've never been happier.

Dinobabe

My husband works for FedEx.  They ENCOURAGE the employees to take personal time during work time.  Whether it be extra long lunches with the co-workers, team building exercises such as laser tag, free time off when you work overtime (and this is a salary job, not hourly), or me showing up unannounced with cupcakes!  Getting time off is super easy even at the last minute.  And remember, even package throwers have the same health benefits as Fred Smith! ;D

Happy employees are productive employees!

This is my husband's dream job.  Good luck finding yours, it is truly rare.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

ItsTheBishop

My job is the reason that I don't go to faire both days while it's in season, but I don't have to take time off and thusly don't risk endangering my livelihood.

Considering I'm in the middle of a career change a (largely) part time job that allows me to pay my bills while I go pretend I'm 22 again and take prerequisite courses isn't something I'm willing to pass on.

Then again, I'm also not on cast, so I don't suppose I've really had to make that same choice.

Ryk Rakham

We always make sure that any job we take allows us weekends off. I have a great job but had an interview in late winter and was offered a job that paid a little more, but wanted me to work every other weekend. I told them I needed to be off for Scarborough Faire's season and they actually allowed that they would let me have all of April and May off on weekends....but, it still sounded too chancy and I turned it down because it threatened my being able to make it to Faire every weekend if I so desired....
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Queen Bonnie

I am retired. No money- but I have weekends free! All else too! LOL! Somehow Lord A made sure he had no jobs where he had to work weekends. I am sure he used spells and potions on his bosses!
Bummer VIII! I hope a great monarch such as you are can get a wondrous well paying job with all weekends off! A magick spell is headed your way! <<<*** POOF!**>>>>>! Nay to weekend work! Scarby needs you!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Merlin the Elder

Sire, I must say... without you, Scarborough would suffer terribly! I always look forward to seeing you!  I wish we lived closer to the village...the 750 mile round-trip can get tiresome. We've already been down twice this year and are thinking of a third trip.

I wish you the best of luck finding a better employer. I suppose you could always behead your old one and take his job...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Adriana Rose

I havent had that but I have been turned down for jobs because " Every one who works here has to pull their fair share of weekends"

So Poo I say there are greener pastures out there!

VIII

Hmm,... even the Texas Employment Commission seems to think that Faire is "Not a viable form of employment" since they don't pay unemployment.  >:(
Former King Henry VIII
Renaissance Magazine Issue #66 Cover Boy

Merlin the Elder

Sire, what type of work do you do when you visit the mundanes? There may be someone here with a lead.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Keno

I work for myself, its slow and sometimes not profitable but I'm happy and live simple.  I wish you luck on finding the perfect job.
This years travels 2013

Performing
Travelers Cross Faire in Strang, Oklahoma

Vending
Iowa Renaissance Festival in Amana Colonies, Iowa
Iowa-Minnesota Pirate Festival in Clear Lake, Iowa
Des Moines Renaissance Faire in Des Moines, iowa

Arianwyn

Best of luck in your search....

From what I read some things are different up here in Canada but many things are the same..I am very luck in my M-F 9-5 job.......

I wish I lived close enough to an established Faire to be able to go for 6-8 weekends in a row....

bright blessings on you VIII!

Delireus

While it's not a paying job, I've always had to sacrifice my high school and college theatre rehearsals for the faire or vise versa. I do techie stuff and have to decide whether I'll be props master or go to the festival. I was asked last semester to do props for our big musical this semester and I said yes but I don't even have the dates for it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rehearsals/show weekends don't run into KC renfest :-\
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is