News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Joys of Deoderant....antipersperant that is

Started by Badra, April 27, 2010, 01:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badra

I know this is mentioned in bloomer topics, but I didn't see it posted out in the open on it's own. 

God bless deodorant sticks!!!  For those ladies & kilted gents that didn't already know this, a little deodorant on the thighs goes a long way to preventing chaffing.  I learned the trick on this very forum after a HORRIBLE chaffing incident on Memorial Day weekend at Scarby many moons ago and have sworn by it ever since.  There's also a similar commercially made product that does the same thing.  It's worth deoderizing your thighs if you wear bloomers or if you don't.   
Cyn
Badra the Belly Dancer
Duchess of Parties
Gnicety Gnomie

bellevivre

really? this works? I always just wear bloomers... but... I may have to try this now!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Sitara

I do a layer of deodorant and on top of that, I put on a layer of monistat anti-chafing ointment.  So much better than a painful rash!
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Zardoz

Body Glide is about the best anti chafing stuff around, Mrs.Zardoz likes it, and lots of kilt guys recommend it.

http://www.usakilts.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=82

Although I've found if you just quit wearing p@nts, you will develop a natural resistance.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

bellevivre

Quote from: Zardoz on April 27, 2010, 02:50:01 PM
Although I've found if you just quit wearing p@nts, you will develop a natural resistance.

so... the image I get is curvy women with calloused inner thighs...?

*shudder*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Butch

Vaseline works well too.  Seriously, it does.

Badra

Vaseline sounds slick & possibly gooey.  Is it?
Cyn
Badra the Belly Dancer
Duchess of Parties
Gnicety Gnomie

Butch

Just a smear will stay on for hours!  I used to use it on my long-distance runs.  No need to apply a thick coating.

captmarga

There is a product called "Silky underwear" that is a specific powder for nether regions.  I've never used it, but many cast members swear by it.  Bike shorts or cotton stretch capris for me, under EVERY skirt, every time.  (Even under formal wear in the 'Dane world...why is another story...)

Capt Marga/Jofranka
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

ArielCallista

OMG Capt Marga...I just realized who you are! yay!

I almost always wear shorts underskirts cuz I'm clumsy...I almost always end up with wind flipping skirts over my head or falling and revealing just as much...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

iain robb

I believe goose fat would be a much more period solution.

Good thing I'm not all that interested in historical accuracy.

Badra

Quote from: Butch on April 28, 2010, 06:31:01 PM
Just a smear will stay on for hours!  I used to use it on my long-distance runs.  No need to apply a thick coating.

OMG!  Now I remember my dad doing that; he was a runner.  I'll have to give it a try & weigh in on the efficacy vaseline vs. deodorant :)
Cyn
Badra the Belly Dancer
Duchess of Parties
Gnicety Gnomie

Sitara

Vaseline can easily stain cloth so I'll be sticking to the anti-chafing ointment.  I also hear that it can be used as a primer for makeup (it has the exact same ingredients as the Smashbox primer for 1/3 of the price).

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Sitara on April 29, 2010, 02:36:07 PM
Vaseline can easily stain cloth so I'll be sticking to the anti-chafing ointment.  I also hear that it can be used as a primer for makeup (it has the exact same ingredients as the Smashbox primer for 1/3 of the price).

make up primer?  really?!  that is worth investigating!  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Leyla

Quote from: Sitara on April 29, 2010, 02:36:07 PM

Which can be used for the makeup primer, the vaseline or the anti-chafing ointment?

Sitara

The anti-chafing ointment...I do not recommend coating your face in vaseline!

Bonny Pearl

lol!  but just think what a luminous sheen we'd have lol!  not joking at your expense Leyla, the funny just popped into my head  ;D
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Leyla

No problem. Glad to provide a laugh. I typically read the forums in a zombie-like state following my overnight, graveyard, I-should-have-been-sleeping shifts.  ;D The brain just doesn't function that well after those kinda nights.

Shandi

I always wear bike shorts or leggings cut off at the knee no matter how hot, and let me tell ya it's worth it not to have blood blisters rubbed on your thighs!
I ride horse's  just about every day and have taken to wearing my bike/legging shorts under my jeans, I went on a 26 mile ride and had blisters in places I didn't know you could get blisters :-[  So I take no chances now, I wear tight jeans and lots of powder and my shorts and I'm good to go all day in the saddle. Last year was my first year working TRF and I was glad to have my knee leggings under my skirt, I felt more comfortable with them on then with out...( that sounded bad) My boots where HOT but it's all I can wear with out pain in my foot.
Wow....I got off topic there a bit....
"Chase the Morning" "Yield for Nothing!"

Queen Genevieve

Queen Genevieve

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Brianna on May 15, 2010, 09:51:22 AM
a little antipersperant under the boobs.

I don't think that would help me much...
but I did have some issues with my wrap-pants and upper thigh chafing. I'll certainly try this!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Adriana Rose

A poof of babypowder, cornstarch or talcum powder on the tender bits helps on anyone.

Lord Glycon

Bronwyn Blackmantle

I'll have to try the deodorant suggestion wherever I tend to chafe. Sounds cheaper than the anti-chafing products. Can't wait to see if it works! Thanks for all the great tips!  ;D
IWG #2904 MCL
Home Faire - PARF

Merlin the Elder

Ok, I tried it, but my antiperspirant is a gel-stick. It actually made things much worse, but I realized it before leaving the hotel. If you use a stick, use the powder-type.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Bronwyn Blackmantle

Is there any difference in the performance between the Body Glide anti-chafe and the women's Body Glide, other than that the one for women has a pink top?
IWG #2904 MCL
Home Faire - PARF

Hausfrau Monica

As a (*cough*) well endowed chef, powder is a MUST.  I will try the antiperspirant under the boobs thing and see if it helps.  Thanks.  Tchuss!

ladylissame

2 weeks ago at the opening weekend of KYRF, my friends were complaining of the chafing and rubbing. I passed along the tidbit of using antipersperant deodorant so they tried it (used the moisturizing kind as that was what they had). They loved it and are now telling others of it.