News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Next One

Started by Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard, April 28, 2010, 07:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

Does anyone know when we start on the next Rendezvous? Whos in the running? Etc...Etc....Etc...
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

eloquentXI

Give it a few weeks but I figure LadyJessica will have things up and running here soon.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Hibernian

Interesting that you should ask...the rules list May 1st as the beginning of next cycle with a listing of which regions and fairs are eligible. Thank goodness for Lady Jessica, she has to figure it out.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

DeadBishop

Hey everyone! 

I'm guessing many people may have overlooked or even forgotten the previous discussion on how the future Rendezvous' will be chosen.  John posted a short statement in the Rules Discussion thread last year.

We'll have more details this week!

R/F.com member since 2003

eloquentXI

Am very excited to hear where it'll be next year, as I had an incredible time planning the one this year.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Lairde Guardn

Yes, John was going to simplify the process for selection, but even I thought that the new process would be faire to each region of the country.  Looks like we will have to go to the SOUTHWEST again.....

It is getting very hard for me to support the Rendevous at all.
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Ozium

I thought the rules that were in place were more than fair, with a few tweaks
that were going to be discussed and voted on. Only issue we had last year
was just the casting and accounting of votes by the memebers of R/F.com.
And just assumed the next rendevous would be decied as it was last year
as i think everyone else did.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

iain robb

Quote from: Lairde Guardn MCrack on May 10, 2010, 08:29:16 PM
Yes, John was going to simplify the process for selection, but even I thought that the new process would be faire to each region of the country.  Looks like we will have to go to the SOUTHWEST again.....

Well, Lairde, I think you've hit the problem right on the head. Fair is in the eye of the beholder, as is "region." I don't really think of Colorado as Southwest, just as I don't think of Texas as South. Texas is ... well, it's Texas. In my opinion, it's more Southwest than South, but there's some of both and a lot of uniquitude.

In short, I don't think there's a way to break up the USA in a manner we'd all agree upon, nor do I think there is any way to choose that we'd all consider fair. I would have liked to have voted, but I (personally) don't consider it unfair to not have a vote.

For my part, I'm going to go if I can, and try for the next year if I cannot, regardless of how the site is chosen or the region the faire is in, because I enjoy spending time at faire with these folks.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I was wondering myself what happened to the vote...   >:(
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Hibernian

Best of luck to the West. I'm sure they'll do a fine job of hosting.

Yes, I did note that John was going to "simplify" the process. However, I never realize that would involve not consulting the general membership of the foums for suggestions or even asking for the localities to volunteer their fairs as host sites.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Carl Heinz

Quote from: DeadBishop on May 02, 2010, 06:57:07 PM
Rules Discussion thread last year.

I've reviewed the rules cited in this thread and note that voting isn't to start until June 1.  I must also have missed the announcement that the poll was open and a listing of the nominees.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Blue66669

I agree with John's decision to take out the voting. There was too much drama every year surrounding the voting, and the votes, and the faires up for hosting. I believe that John and DB will do a good job of finding great sites for the RenDezvous in the future.
Blaidd Drwg

angusmacinnes

After all the Renassiance was not a democratic society.  ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Carl Heinz

It's difficult to find a balance between generating enthusiasm by having open selection and avoiding alienation caused when disagreements become too strident.

Only time can tell whether the current process meets the desires of a majority of the forum members.

I wish Colorado well.  Unfortunately, I've found that the motor home has some problems with some of the mountain grades.  I-70 west of Denver is not my friend.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Adriana Rose

There are some nicer climbs if you take a more southern route through Arizona and New Mexico. Not so much UP in those I think

Norfolk

Quote from: Adriana Rose on May 17, 2010, 07:46:08 PM
There are some nicer climbs if you take a more southern route through Arizona and New Mexico. Not so much UP in those I think

Adriana Rose is absolutely right!  Take I-40 to Albuquerque, turn North on I-25 through Raton pass, and you'll have only a few miles of fairly gentle grades to deal with.  Absolutely NOTHING like I-70!  I've done both many times, so I speak from experience.
Just call me "Your Grace"

Hey- Arent You?

Quote from: Baron on May 17, 2010, 10:40:53 PM
Quote from: Adriana Rose on May 17, 2010, 07:46:08 PM

Adriana Rose is absolutely right!  Take I-40 to Albuquerque, turn North on I-25 through Raton pass, and you'll have only a few miles of fairly gentle grades to deal with.  Absolutely NOTHING like I-70!  I've done both many times, so I speak from experience.

agreed.... less incline, and much less tightly wound too.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing"
~Edmund Burke