News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Medici - A detailed study; The Intro.

Started by Baron Doune, May 31, 2008, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron Doune

I became interested in the Medici Family a few years ago due to a PBS show Medici - Godfathers of the Renaissance

What I would like to do with this topic, is too look at each of the Medici family along with their accomplishments and failures.

In my opinion no other family has made a more lasting impression in the world we live in today.

So then as I'm not the brightest knife on the tree please add your links, images and thoughts.

Where then to start?  How about...

Medici - Part 1 Giovanni di Bicci.

isabelladangelo

Unfortunately, the blog reference to Catherine is based on Victorian myths and not actual period sources.  Considering that, by the time Catherine got to France, the corset was already very much in vogue and had been for at least 10 years, I doubt she brought it from Italy.  (That, and they don't seem to have corsets in Italy until the 1540's).
This page is quite good on the true orgins of the corset. http://www.elizabethancostume.net/corsets/history.html

Sorry for the OT.

jmkhalfmoon

Quote from: Baron Doune on May 31, 2008, 06:51:44 AM
I became interested in the Medici Family a few years ago due to a PBS show Medici - Godfathers of the Renaissance

Where then to start?  How about...

Medici - Part 1 Giovanni di Bicci.

I love the historical framework and families of the Renaissance, but I find keeping track of all of the important figures a bit mind boggling.  I have always been a fan of British Renaissance, but we are planning a trip to South of France/Northern Italy next year so I need to drum up on my French & Italian Renaissance trivia.