News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking for "period" umbrella

Started by Syrilla, April 29, 2010, 06:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Ha!  Syrilla, I found it!!  I knew there was a woman who collects and restores antique umbrellas and rents them for weddings, etc, and after searching here and there since you posted, I've found her!  And even better, she now sells vintage reproductions, and they're lovely!  Pricey (no, seriously), but lovely:

http://www.bellaumbrella.com/

They're not Renaissance, of course, but they have an antique/romantic shape to them that I think would look lovely at Fair:

BubbleWright

Once before I started going to Faire in garb, I visited PARF because because a co-worker was on cast. It was a very rainy day and I happened to have a beach umbrella in the car. It may not have been period, but many of the cast stopped to converse with me, taking some respite from the merciless rain under my portable roof.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

CapnFayeCutler

Quote from: Syrilla on May 02, 2010, 10:47:06 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestion.  I have had and used the paper, oiled, "fabric" coated umbrellas.  And each year, even with water proofing, and re-coating, I have to purchase new ones.  I am in search of a good alternative.  I would love a leather on.  But know one seems to be able to make it, and make it a working one.  Even tho others will not know what is period or not, I do.  And I want to keep it the best I can afford.

I'd say that after yesterday you'd have to buy a new one for sure. You still looked fabulous as always though! I think a leather one would be really nice, but how would you keep the leather from stretching and shrinking once it gets wet and then dry? I honestly don't know, don't work with leather much. :(
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Blue66669

Well, after weather sealing your leather, you would want to make sure that your umbrella was dry before it was put away. It won't shrink or stretch if you remember to do that.
Blaidd Drwg

Adriana Rose

Quote from: BubbleWright on May 02, 2010, 06:21:07 PM
Once before I started going to Faire in garb, I visited PARF because because a co-worker was on cast. It was a very rainy day and I happened to have a beach umbrella in the car. It may not have been period, but many of the cast stopped to converse with me, taking some respite from the merciless rain under my portable roof.

We have a patio umbrella out side of my shop and a few years ago it was raining like CRAZY and one of the Royal Gaurds came and asked to borrow it for the Queen to walk to the joust. It was histarical to watch him march away with the HUGE umbrella

Syrilla

I have drooled over bella umbrellas for a few years now.  One of these day I will just spend the money and get one.  Sigh.

gem

Use it for four years, and it's only a $24/year investment. Not bad, really. I think you owe yourself a present.

GirlChris

Quote from: Adriana Rose on May 03, 2010, 09:20:41 PM
We have a patio umbrella out side of my shop and a few years ago it was raining like CRAZY and one of the Royal Gaurds came and asked to borrow it for the Queen to walk to the joust. It was histarical to watch him march away with the HUGE umbrella

Ha! That actually happened at one of my faires last year, except it was to protect the King AND Queen. Their majesties eventually took shelter in the pub, and the guard had a ball parading around the faire with the giant umbrella, giving assistance where needed.

Anna Iram

Quote from: Syrilla on May 02, 2010, 10:47:06 AM
Thank you for all of the suggestion.  I have had and used the paper, oiled, "fabric" coated umbrellas.  And each year, even with water proofing, and re-coating, I have to purchase new ones.  I am in search of a good alternative.  I would love a leather on.  But know one seems to be able to make it, and make it a working one.  Even tho others will not know what is period or not, I do.  And I want to keep it the best I can afford.

One last thought, if leather seems too expensive or too much bother, perhaps make a cover made from vinyl or oil cloth. Something not a permanent part of your parasol, but that can be kept folded in a pouch and tied on when the weather turns. Could be a fun experiment. Paint it or bejewel it...maybe?

Butch

That umbrellas dot com site has three different flowers, and one palm tree.  Any of those would be neat, especially for a fae or sprite.

iain robb

Quote from: Butch on May 06, 2010, 03:07:29 PM
That umbrellas dot com site has three different flowers, and one palm tree.  Any of those would be neat, especially for a fae or sprite.

Not quite period, but definitely cool, as you say, for a fae or sprite. Heck, I might even get one of the palm tree ones. That way, the aliens won't be able to spot me here in Florida when it's raining. I could probably even line it with foil ...

Syrilla

gem, where did you get a bella umbrella for $24.  They are over $80 on the websites.

I have used the patio umbrellas, I just hate to make anyone carry around one of those things.  It is HEAVY, and if the wind gets un-wilding.

gem

No, I meant that you could spread the investment over the lifetime of the umbrella.  If you *only* use it for four years, then it's $24/year (the brown one I posted is $96). Push that to ten years, and $9.60/year... which is probably what you're paying every year for a new paper parasol.

LordPaulet

MUST HAVE MINT GREEN PAGODA UMBRELLA!!!!

gem

I'm bumping this up, because I've just stumbled across a Threads magazine tutorial on recovering an umbrella!

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/10563/how-to-recover-an-umbrella

(I got my local quilt shop's weekly newsletter, and this week's focus is Amy Butler laminated fabrics... and one of the featured projects is, you guessed it, an umbrella! I saw that and did a double take. Some quick Googling turned up this link!)