News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wow! Embroidered "blackwork look" linen at JoAnn! On sale, even!!

Started by gem, April 29, 2010, 01:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

:o  Can you believe this fabric find?!  I just wandered into JoAnn after a dentist appt this morning, and look what flung itself at me:

It's a 50-50 linen/rayon blend (poly embroidery). I'm sorry I didn't think to do a scale image of the embroidery, but that's a 4-yard bundle, if that gives you any idea.  It's on sale right now for $7.50/yard... and my store had two bolts of the stuff. I immediately thought of you guys when I rushed it up to the cutting counter!

Here's a closer shot of the embroidery:

You're not going to fool anyone that it's real, hand-worked blackwork, but I think from the "how it looks from 10 feet away" test, you can't beat this. Particularly b/c of the linen content. (ETA: see my post on page 2 after a laundry test.)

So. What can we do with this luscious stuff?  I already have a couple of ideas, but I'd love to hear brainstorming!  (It's pretty substantial, so I think it could *easily* work as a corset.)

I'm thinking coif/caul for sure:

(from Jane Stockton's site)

...And probably sleeves:

(Also, oddly enough, from Stockton's site.)

SQUEE!!

NicoleBridget

OMG!  Ultra mega super squee!  Awesome find, Gem!  Thank you for sharing this.  I actually have to go to JoAnn's tonight anyway and I will SO be looking for this fabric.  Caul and sleeves, yes and yes!  Can't wait to see what you do with it.  If I manage to find any for myself I'm thinking corset...

Thanks again for the heads up.

LadyShadow

May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Auryn

Beautiful,
sleeves was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw that.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Sorcha

It's only stocked at one of the three Joann's in my area.  Four yards of it came home with me though!

Butch

Which one had it?  The one in Independence is closest to me.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

OOOOH!!!  I will have to get some for another Chemise for cooler days being that there is Rayon in it.

A Noblewoman can NEVER have too many Chemises.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady L

WOW that's nice stuff!  :o
I was in a Joann ETC last Sat. and I didn't see anything like that. I would really like some. I was thinking sleeves, as well.  Do you have the SKU?
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Lady Renee Buchanan

For a floor length chemise, how much would you need?  I wear 12-14.  I have an idea in mind, and this might work great.

Thanks!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

wyckdblyss

Wow...I love that material! I wish I had a JoAnn's closer to me. I think that it would make a beautiful pair of bloomers!!
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

isabelladangelo

Big important NOTE here:   

This is a HEAVY weight linen blend.  Not only would I not use the linen/rayon for a chemise (pure linen or cotton is good) but it's WAY too heavy for one.   It's almost upholstery weight to give you some idea.  I bought a bunch of it a few weeks and it's great for a winter outfit but not for summer.   So, yes, it is pretty.  It does look like Elizabethan blackwork but use it for a skirt and a stomacher -not for a chemise or a coif.   You want much lighter weight things for that. 

act2redux

its too heavy for normal season or inside wear...but for cold weather parades or fair days..I say go for it.  I was never so glad for my poly. gown as last thanksgiving day parade...  Its horrible in the summer but a real blessing that day!

gem

I would describe it as "mid-weight" (and that's mid-weight for *linen*) not heavy. It's not as heavy as the 6.5 oz linen I made my corset from, and it's certainly much lighter than a true mid-weight fabric like twill, corduroy, or velveteen. The embroidery adds some stiffness, true, so it won't drape like linen usually does, but I suspect after a washing it will soften up (the care instructions say hand wash/line dry--because the embroidery will not shrink like the linen/rayon base fabric--but I'm going to do a test swatch anyway, to see how it handles).

I would say it's no heavier than my flaming orange chemise, or the linen shirt I made Milord last fall.

Rayon has wicking properties similar to linen, and you see a lot of linen/rayon blends in mundane wear (since rayon cuts down on linen's wrinkle-prone-ness, without adding weight or heat to the fabric).

HTH!

*eta* Renee, you should be able to make a full-length chemise from ~3 yards of 45" wide fabric, but check your pattern. This is 53".

Bonny Pearl

That is lovely fabric.  I can see it being incorporated into 'dane wear' in some way too.  Give yourself a bit of faire flair in the dane world.  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88