News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Flooding closes faire for sat and SUNDAY MAY 1-2

Started by renfairephotog, May 01, 2010, 01:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jack Wolfe

Ariyanna, they'll honour the tickets next weekend.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

renfairephotog

Comps are good second weekend.

and anyone going remember that vendors and acts just lost two days of work. So the the rest of the faire if you're on the fence about a purchase go ahead and make it.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Mixsae

Yes they are honoring comp tickets for this weekend for next weekend. Posted on the Facebook page.

We left the site and headed to Lynchburg to do the Jack Daniels tour. Had ew not, we would have been headed down I24 mot likely around the time it flooded.

Coming back was terrifying. We came up 82 in Shelbyville around 5-6pm. Visibility was zilch, the roads had standing water...we did about 15-20 alot of the way. Witnessed lighting strinking a transformer just in front of us in Shelbyville and it sparking. Finally got back to Murfreesboro and hooked up with some of the crew and debated exit strategies....I'd heard 96 was flooded. I actually live in Antioch and Griff and Richard were heading up to Madison area....we headed up I-24 and exited at OHB...I was thinking head up to Hickory Hollow area but radio weather reports advised that wasn't a good idea....finally would up taking a louie on OHB....intersected at Nolensville and we had a clear shot. I got them to 65North in Brentwood and headed up. I'm on a higher elevation in the tusculum area but it's allegedly under water down the road from me.

From what I've heard...National emergency management teams have been advised of our situation and if the rain kicks back up tomorrow....it could be very bad.

I am curious how the site faired. I know some of the vendors were talking about trying to go in and inspect tomorrow but if the roads are still flooded...it may proof to be difficult to even get back to the site.

celtaban

Jackie Freeman called me just now and said my tent (White Pavilion) and most of the other vendors were okay as of midnight last night, but that the jousting field was swamped.  I'm up on the highest part of the site.  They've been working hard to keep the drains cleared so that the water can run off.  I have drains on either side of my tent that send the water under the path, and they both backed up pretty quickly yesterday, so that neighbor Ed Beard and I had separate rivers running through.  One of them was actual white water.  My plans were to go out to the site today and check on things, but then I looked outside and saw the street running with water, and a lake down the block, and I'm not so sure I should leave. But I just can't help fretting about my stakes washing out and throwing all that clothing down in the mud.  Ugh.  So here's an interesting dilemma:  Do I stay with the house, or do I go check on the fate of my livelihood?  What gets your vote?

bmgjarvis

Stay at the house. You'll get a call if there's  damage to the booth. I'm not sure you can get to the site in a car anyway! Now, if you have a boat ..... : )

Ariyana the hugging wench

Oh Celtaban,
Here's hoping (and crossing of fingers) that you and all the other vendors have the good luck that your tents and your stock stay high and dry.
But in the meantime stay put and stay safe please, we want you in one piece!
{{{{hugs}}}

celtaban

Yeah, I think the house is it, considering that I discovered upwards of a dozen leaks in my roof just after my last post.  I've been up in the attic deploying everything but the soap dish, but most of the water is running down the rafters and behind the kitchen wall.  I don't even want to think about the implications of that.  I've lived here for over 20 years, through hail, ice, massive storms and tornadoes, but I've never seen anything like this.

Mixsae

Emergency management is advising due to the flash flooding and road closures DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CURRENT LOCATION UNLESS IN DANGER.

Livelihoods are important....lives are more important though and the more people out on the roads is creating a much bigger danger.

ladylissame

Derek and I made it home to Cincinnati last night. The rest of our group is heading back today. I am checking in on them regularly.
It took us 2 hrs to get through Nashville.
It just sucks cause this was the only weekend our group could go down....and especially with me getting notice that I'm losing my job in 4 months, I don't think we can afford to try again.

Mixsae

Metro Nashville Davidson County has now been declared a disaster area. Pasrts of Rutherford County have also been declared. The next 24-36 hours are critical. Most likely schools and businesses will either be closed or urged to be closed due to the numerous washed out roads, flooded roads and power outages for early part of the week.

renfairephotog

NO School day either.

Tennessee Renaissance Festival We are canceling our Student Day, May 3rd. If you are an educator, please call our office on Tuesday for further information.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

NTERSTATES

Interstate 24 westbound and eastbound between Hickory Hollow Parkway and Briley Parkway
Interstate 40 eastbound at Jefferson Street
Interstate 24 eastbound at Shelby Avenue
Exit 97 and 98 on Interstate 65 are closed both ways.
I-65 N closed at mile marker 80

Full list
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

CapnFayeCutler

Glad they closed 96 between Franklin and the faire! We drove through that mess and there was water about 60-65% across the road when we left as soon as it closed yesterday!
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer