News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Eastern Shore MD Renstock

Started by Steev, May 01, 2010, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steev

Dates are July 23 @ about 6:30PM 'til July 25 @ about 10PM.

Here's our current attendance less some spouses and about 25 "maybes":

Steev and family
Lairde Guard'n and 4 guests
RSLeask (Ryan Sylvester)
Lady Joyce Ann
Betty Munro
Sir Blackfox
Remission
Tixi M'Crack and hubby Blair
Felix Cartagena (The Bubble Wright)
Mike K and spouse (The Maille Room of VARF)

From Facebook & other sources:
Becky Parris & hubby Blake
Steve Kimball
Willy's Wily Wenches
Heather Ferguson
JoAnne Mae & Mike Dantuono
Shelly the Aerial Angel
Kevin Shumaker and guest
Michael Keane
Adam Pope
T.j. & Julia Cellery

That puts us at 30 (not counting kids and "maybes") if everyone actually shows up.  Anyone else care to sign on?  ;)

******Orig Message*****

Hey all.  First of all, I'm really happy to have helped w. the VARF setup for 2010 and it's neat to see all the work that goes on behind the scenes.  Also great to meet people before the "crush".  It will make opening day that much more special.

Having said THAT, meeting all the great people prompts me to hawk my own event (conceived last year as I entered the limbo between end of VARF and start of MDRF).  I'm going to be having a camping weekend on a private farm on the Sassafrass river in MD.  There will be: 55 acres, 3 fields, much woodland, water access, unlimited firewood, limited electricity, many charcoal grills, many canoes, much parking, privies and whatever other hand-washing or showering facilities people feel they will need.  Bring your own: camping gear, food and beverages (hats may also be passed), talent for acting or music, and garb (not mandatory but much welcomed).  Oh, and for those of you who are super ambitious, the property is accessible by boat via the Chesapeake.

There ain't no admission, tho I'd appreciate help covering the privvy rental.  Kids and pets are welcome with appropriate supervision.

Please renmail me if you're interested or with any questions and I will send along an exact address.

Thanks,

Steev.
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Steev

Hey VARF cast, crew and Playtrons!  Happy closing weekend and congrats on a great season.  I only made it out for 2 days of setup and one Saturday visit but I and my family enjoyed all 3 days.  Thanks!

After you all have a chance to decompress, please consider making the drive to MD for our camping weekend.  We'd love the chance to pay you back for your hospitality and welcome.  Hit me via Renmail or email (steevshumaker@gmail.com) if you'd like more info or plan to attend.

Hope to see some of you!  S

Steev

Thread Bump!  Just wanted to crow that we have an Aerial Angel who's agreed to perform as well as expected attendance by the Renaissance Bubble Man!  If any of you musicians can be persuaded to attend, we could sure use live music for our Angel's performance...

SirBlackFox

The big black tent of The Pyrates Way will be there with Faire Magazine. . .documenting this wonderful new event from the ground up!
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Professor M

Quote from: SirBlackFox on June 25, 2010, 12:29:40 PM
The big black tent of The Pyrates Way will be there with Faire Magazine. . .documenting this wonderful new event from the ground up!

Not to quibble, Sir Black Fox, but "Renstock" is not a new event.  It has been taking place since 2006 in western PA, when the Greater Pittsburgh Ren Faire declared bankruptcy.  An R/F member, known as Mumsies, offered her land for a gathering to commiserate and spend time together, since there was no faire.  Several of the cast, stage acts, and playtrons gathered in a large field for a weekend of music, entertainment, and camaraderie.  It was this very nature of camping rough, with no access to running water, that inspired the name "Renstock" to begin with.

Since then, an off-season event has happened every year, which we have dubbed "Winter Renstock."

It is wonderful to see the tradition spreading to other places.  But please acknowledge it's origin.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Steev

Quote from: Professor M on June 25, 2010, 06:53:03 PM
Not to quibble, Sir Black Fox, but "Renstock" is not a new event.

Ah yes, how true.  This will be the first annual "Eastern Shore Renstock" ("Renstock" having been mentioned in passing by Scotsman and "Eastern Shore" to differentiate from the original event(s).)  ;)

Pinn

UMMM don't forget Chuck'n, my spouse. He goes pretty much anywhere I go. ;D
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Peddlin

And what is the date for this event?
Peddlin M'Crack
Countess of Tyrone
Ette
IWG #3790, Local 96

Steev

Quote from: Peddlin on June 29, 2010, 08:27:11 AM
And what is the date for this event?

July 23 @ about 6:30PM 'til July 25 @ about 10PM.

Pinn'n- Revised guest list posted at beginning of the thread.

:D

Lairde Guardn

Looking forward to it, and maybe just maybe it will catch on and grow bigger each year......It does sound like it will be a lot of fun......

I know that I have always enjoyed camping onsite at the faires that allowed it, there was something special about it and I can actually say that some of the shows in the camps were better than some behind the gates.   
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

Master James

Quote from: Lairde Guardn MCrack on June 30, 2010, 09:53:51 PM
Looking forward to it, and maybe just maybe it will catch on and grow bigger each year......It does sound like it will be a lot of fun......

I know that I have always enjoyed camping onsite at the faires that allowed it, there was something special about it and I can actually say that some of the shows in the camps were better than some behind the gates.   

I agree!  Like Hawk and Cedric at your birthday party a number of years back at NCRF.  You guys have fun.  That will be my first free weekend since early March and the wife would kill me if I scheduled something else.   ;)
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Steev

For those of you who are coming, here are some things you might want to bring (in addition to the requisite food, beverages, sunscreen, bug spray, etc...):

Closed toe shoes or boots- there IS poison ivy hiding low in the grass in parts of the fields.
Technu or other poison ivy barrier/treatment
Charcoal (grills provided but fuel other than wood will not)
Coolers and ice- you can never have too many places to stash beverages...
Canoes, kayaks or rafts plus life vests- we have 3 canoes and 2 kayaks available but these may be in heavy demand
Seating.  Unless you want to scrounge up a log, the ground is what we have available.
First aid.  We'll try to have some stuff available but the more ice packs, gatorade, sugar tablets, and band-aids, the better.

Lastly (and unrelated), anyone who can help clean up the site on Sunday eve will be my best friend and will help make it possible to hold this event again!

Pinn

I am saddened to say that Chuck'n and myself will have to withdraw from this event. :'(
I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Lupa

Steev,

Can you post exact address/location?
Goddess of the Grove
DoRT
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3576
IFoRP #1360
FOKTOP Inquisitor
Cheer'n M'Crack

Steev

I've not put the address in the posts so I can keep track of who will/won't be attending via RSVP (Don't want to have 100 people show up if I only have 2 privvies!).  Send me a renmail or a facebook friend request (Steve Shumaker in CHestertown, MD) and I'll get the exact addresss to you (sent to you via renmail, Lupa).  S